Apple begins preparing for 'iPad 3' event with colorful decorations

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple on Friday began redecorating San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts with a massive, colorful banner featuring the company's logo ahead of next week's media event.

Workers began covering the glass windows on the center Friday morning in California. Apple typically hypes its product unveilings with decorations throughout the center.

As of Friday afternoon, workers were about halfway done with sticking the design to the center's windows. This year's graphic is a mix of vivid colors in the background, with a giant white Apple logo up front.

The bright colors and what appear to be paint splatters in the design are somewhat reminiscent of the theme for the media event Apple held in early 2010 to introduce the first iPad. As rumors of an Apple tablet were swirling, Apple invited members of the media to "come see our latest creation."

This year's invitation features a picture of an iPad with a fingertip touching the iOS Calendar application icon. The date on the calendar is Wednesday, March 7, which is when the media event will be held.

Apple has unveiled its previous two iPad models in events at the Yerba Buena Center. Last year's decoration was a black Apple logo on a white background, surrounded by colorful dots.

Invitations to last year's event featured the iOS calendar icon peeling back to reveal an iPad. It invited members of the press to "come see what 2011 will be the year of," and at the event Apple declared it the "Year of iPad 2."

The fact that the 2012 invitation says that attendees need to "see" this year's update has been viewed by many as a reference to the high-resolution Retina Display that is expected to be one of the defining features of the next iPad. There has been mounting evidence leading up to this year's event that the so-called "iPad 3" will feature a 2,048-by-1,536-pixel display, doubling the resolution and quadrupling the number of pixels of previous iPad screens.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The multi-colored paint splotches must mean? [cue nonsensical speculation]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?doubling the resolution and quadrupling the number of pixels of previous iPad screens.

Thanks, guys.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    2012 : year of iPad3

2013 : year of iPad4

2014 : ...

pretty predictable, uh ?

Crucifixion party for Apple competitors .... until they give up ....
  • Reply 3 of 65
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    With all the talk about what the invite "means" I found myself thinking of the invite to the first iPad debut. "Come see our latest creation". It had splotches of color all over it...

Like this one. Only these splotches in these photos look way hi-res in comparison.

• Reply 4 of 65
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Weird, both here and on MacNN it seems to be overlooked that the graphic is a close-up of the Retina Display icon.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Weird, both here and on MacNN it seems to be overlooked that the graphic is a close-up of the Retina Display icon.

That's because it is in no way a closeup thereof.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's because it is in no way a closeup thereof.

I guess we'll just wait and see once the entire window signage is complete.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:

I guess we'll just wait and see once the entire window signage is complete.

I can look at both right now and tell you for a fact that it's not a closeup of that icon?

• Reply 8 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

With all the talk about what the invite "means" I found myself thinking of the invite to the first iPad debut. "Come see our latest creation". It had splotches of color all over it...

Like this one. Only these splotches in these photos look way hi-res in comparison.

image: http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/f...010/01/top.jpg

Is that the original image from the email teaser in 2010? That looks like it's about 4:3 outline.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    The background color image is clearly an eye.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

The background color image is clearly an eye.

Covered in blood and paint of all visible spectrum colors so as to hide all distinguishing features that would give it away as being an eye, right?
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Quote:

I can look at both right now and tell you for a fact that it's not a closeup of that icon…

Right, because Apple NEVER slightly modifies icons – especially along with a new announcement

(BTW - the imgur.com tool is pretty cool, thanks)
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

Right, because Apple NEVER slightly modifies icons – especially along with a new announcement

Hey, if they want to change the icon they associate with Retina Displays, more power to them. I'm just saying it's not like that now.

Quote:

I HATE THAT SO MUCH. Not even going to talk about iTunes. I've been using a replacement for both of their icons since iTunes 8 and QuickTime X, respectively.

Quote:

(BTW - the imgur.com tool is pretty cool, thanks)

Imgur rocks, absolutely.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Quote:

Right, because Apple NEVER slightly modifies icons ? especially along with a new announcement

But his point was that it's not the same icon. In fact you can see at the bottom right that it's clearly meant to represent some dripping paint.

Bottom line is that this huge image 6 days before the event isn't going to offer us any in-depth clues that we don't already know. Any relevant banners will be inside and covered up until the end of the event.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I fixed it for you.

Quote:

I HATE THAT SO MUCH. Not even going to talk about iTunes. I've been using a replacement for both of their icons since iTunes 8 and QuickTime X, respectively.

I don't care about the icons. I'm just disappointed with the fact that they discontinued the pro version. I use QT7 Pro if I have to do any exporting.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't care about the icons. I'm just disappointed with the fact that they discontinued the pro version. I use QT7 Pro if I have to do any exporting.

They need to bring those features back yesterday. There's no reason for me to have to have two QuickTimes on my computer and there's no excuse for YEARS without that stuff.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Anybody think they've worked out what the 'touch' aspect of this event will be yet?

Damned if I can.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Anybody think they've worked out what the 'touch' aspect of this event will be yet?

Damned if I can.

The primary I/O is something you see and touch. I think the email slogan just sounded good and fit the iPad. To wit, I don't think it's a hint to any new touch technology.

If I had to force some reason for touch being part of a new feature I'd simply suggest that you will be touching the HiDPI Retina Display on the next iPad.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    I wonder if there will be anything maps related announced at the event seen as though the maps app icon is visible sitting on the dock on the invite.

If the retina/high res display is on the iPad3, I wonder how long it takes for Samsung and Motorola to come out with a similar spec device. Definitely another year of the iPad and not the copycats.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I wonder if there will be anything maps related announced at the event seen as though the maps app icon is visible sitting on the dock on the invite.

If the retina/high res display is on the iPad3, I wonder how long it takes for Samsung and Motorola to come out with a similar spec device. Definitely another year of the iPad and not the copycats.

Holy crap! I can't believe I haven't seen this discussed before. It's Maps, Calendar and Keynote in the dock. None of which are found there natively.

The Calendar app seems obvious because it shows the day of the event. Keynote can surely refer to the event itself but it could also mean that iWork will be updated. But Maps is the unique one here.

Around 6 months ago I started suggesting that all of Apple's map-based acquisitions could be coming to a head in 2012 if we look at their other app-based cycles. I also stated that the iPad would be the best place to showcase a new Maps app even though iPhone users would use it more. My reason was obviously due to the 10" display. Combine that with 265 PPI and you have a very impressive demo of the future of mapping.

PS: Today I read that Foursquare has dropped Google Maps. i wonder if we'll see a trend.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    This thing is going to have the same # of pixels as the Cinema Display, in ~ 1/9 the screen size. If true, it's just awesome. https://twitter.com/#!/ankleskater/s...36614608322560