Apple looking to build out iCloud engineering team with a dozen openings

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Apple on Friday posted a dozen job listings for iCloud-related engineering positions as it continues to place an emphasis on cloud services as a major component of the company's strategy.

Apple CEO Tim Cook indicated last month during an investor conference that iCloud will dictate the company's strategy "for the next decade or more." That's a dramatic change from the previous 10 years which saw the Mac as the hub for a digital life.

The Cupertino, Calif., company tipped its hand on Friday with a batch of job openings prioritizing iCloud. Apple indicated that it was looking for engineers interested in "developing the next generation of cloud support for iOS and OS X."

The listings include requests for an iCloud Server Software Engineer, iCloud Java Server Engineer, two iCloud Senior Software Engineers, two iCloud Software Engineers, iCloud Java Server Software Engineer, iCloud C/C++ Server Software Engineer, iCloud Game Center Server Engineer, iCloud Backend Server Engineer - Java, iCloud Backend Server Engineer - C++ and Windows Engineer - iCloud.

Apple has seen rapid adoption of iCloud over the past few months. Cook revealed in February that there are now more than 100 million iCloud users, up from 85 million users in January. He portrayed the service as part of the "profound category," major advances that change how devices are used over the long term.

The transition to iCloud may have proved more difficult from an engineering standpoint than Apple originally expected. Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs proclaimed last year that iCloud "just works," while acknowledging that MobileMe, its earlier attempt at cloud services, was not the company's "finest hour." However, when iCloud launched last October, some users reported having trouble migrating to iCloud. The service has also experienced intermittent outages since it went live.

The release of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion should help smooth the transition, as it will be the first major OS X release since iCloud was released. Mountain Lion will feature tighter integration with iCloud than its predecessor and will allow users automatic access to a number of features just by logging in to iCloud on their Macs. For instance, OS X 10.8 will include support for saving files directly to iCloud.

Apple's iCloud hiring push come on the heels of efforts by the company to highlight its role in creating jobs in the U.S. A new "Job Creation" page on the company's website touts more than 500,000 jobs that are "created or supported by Apple." Over 200,000 of those jobs are reported as having been created as part of the "iOS app economy."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    California has become a rather pathetic state, they might actually have trouble attracting top of the line talent.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

California has become a rather pathetic state, they might actually have trouble attracting top of the line talent.

That's a dozen jobs the qualified people of Maiden, NC can apply for.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    I've only ever been a visitor to California but am sorry to read your assessment. Perhaps companies such as Apple can breath life into sectors of Californian society and especially, higher education (including technical training). Spending a little time at UC Berkeley such as I have is a wonderful experience.

Apple innovated itself to relevance, California can do the same.

All the best.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    They better hire more than that. Siri regularly stops working, and my ICal events don't always sync.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It doesn't need any more features right now, just speed and reliability.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    does anyone think we'll see iWork in the cloud (i.e. Pages, Keynote and Numbers files that are already stored in iCloud available through a browser for C.R.U.D.)?
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdifferent View Post

does anyone think we'll see iWork in the cloud (i.e. Pages, Keynote and Numbers files that are already stored in iCloud available through a browser for C.R.U.D.)?

iWork has been in the cloud since January 2009.

It's still in Beta and I think it was meant to be a paid web-based service once it goes live but I have to think that plan has been scratched just like charging for MobileMe was scraped in favour of the updated and rebranded iCloud.

I wouldn't expect iWork.com to be integrated into the iCloud front end but the back end has a lot of similarities with iCloud in the way it handles file sharing from within the iWork apps. It's possible that iWork is what gave Apple the idea for iCloud's app-focused syncing method.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One of iClouds biggest issues is the assumption many apps make that you will always be connected to the cloud. Unfortunately this is not realistic. Even at work both my 3G and WiFi can go to zero.

Every app needs a clean way to mark files for both cloud and local storage and those files need to update automatically when a connection can be had.

Some apps like calendar and notes do seem to have more than a few ugly bugs. This is of course not totally surprising.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

iWork has been in the cloud since January 2009.

It's still in Beta and I think it was meant to be a paid web-based service once it goes live but I have to think that plan has been scratched just like charging for MobileMe was scraped in favour of the updated and rebranded iCloud.

Beta? That seems a bit strong.

Quote:

I wouldn't expect iWork.com to be integrated into the iCloud front end but the back end has a lot of similarities with iCloud in the way it handles file sharing from within the iWork apps. It's possible that iWork is what gave Apple the idea for iCloud's app-focused syncing method.

I see iWork.com as a failure. I much rather never have to rely upon a network for my day to day apps. I really think Apple is on the right track with iCloud. The problem is people expect instant perfection and that won't happen.

Something's about iCloud I already really like. Being able to pick up X device and know that for the most part addresses or appointments will show up on all of them is very useful. Even Numbers is useful in this regard and needs a Mac OS update to bring it into the fold there.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Beta? That seems a bit strong.

Apple calls it a beta.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    I may have mentioned this on an earlier thread, but it would be great if you could merge several AppleIDs into one for use with iCloud. Those of us that had for various reasons accounts in different countries would benefit greatly. I have also had a different ID for Mobile Me and I know many others that had an additional ID for .mac and even further back.

Until then I believe Cloud will be useful, but not as groundbreaking as it could be. However, if you are new to the Apple eco system it is no problem.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday posted a dozen job listings for iCloud-related engineering positions as it continues to place an emphasis on cloud services as a major component of the company's strategy.

These jobs are always fakes. They put new hires on fake projects until they can be trusted,

The only thing we can be certain of is that Apple is NOT hiring a dozen iCloud engineers.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Java is a legacy technology. Stupid Apple is building the future of their business on dead technology.

I'm being facetious of course, but that's exactly the kind of idiocy I have heard from Apple fans when deprecation and removal of Java from Mac OS X was announced.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple CEO Tim Cook indicated last month during an investor conference that iCloud will dictate the company's strategy "for the next decade or more." That's a dramatic change from the previous 10 years which saw the Mac as the hub for a digital life.

The Cupertino, Calif., company tipped its hand on Friday with a batch of job openings prioritizing iCloud. Apple indicated that it was looking for engineers interested in "developing the next generation of cloud support for iOS and OS X."

The listings include requests for an iCloud Server Software Engineer, iCloud Java Server Engineer, two iCloud Senior Software Engineers, two iCloud Software Engineers, iCloud Java Server Software Engineer, iCloud C/C++ Server Software Engineer, iCloud Game Center Server Engineer, iCloud Backend Server Engineer - Java, iCloud Backend Server Engineer - C++ and Windows Engineer - iCloud.

Apple has seen rapid adoption of iCloud over the past few months. Cook revealed in February that there are now more than 100 million iCloud users, up from 85 million users in January. He portrayed the service as part of the "profound category," major advances that change how devices are used over the long term.

The transition to iCloud may have proved more difficult from an engineering standpoint than Apple originally expected. Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs proclaimed last year that iCloud "just works," while acknowledging that MobileMe, its earlier attempt at cloud services, was not the company's "finest hour." However, when iCloud launched last October, some users reported having trouble migrating to iCloud. The service has also experienced intermittent outages since it went live.

The release of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion should help smooth the transition, as it will be the first major OS X release since iCloud was released. Mountain Lion will feature tighter integration with iCloud than its predecessor and will allow users automatic access to a number of features just by logging in to iCloud on their Macs. For instance, OS X 10.8 will include support for saving files directly to iCloud.

Apple's iCloud hiring push come on the heels of efforts by the company to highlight its role in creating jobs in the U.S. A new "Job Creation" page on the company's website touts more than 500,000 jobs that are "created or supported by Apple." Over 200,000 of those jobs are reported as having been created as part of the "iOS app economy."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

This should be the apple of a new project right,

I think apple will have some innovation.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

These jobs are always fakes. They put new hires on fake projects until they can be trusted,

The only thing we can be certain of is that Apple is NOT hiring a dozen iCloud engineers.

Your posts are always fakes. You put out new garbage in perfectly good threads so the progress of the conversation is interrupted or corrupted.

The only thing we can be certain of is that you do not MEAN what you are saying.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Amongst all the news about more use of clouds and wifi recently the fact the transmission bands are getting pretty crowded keeps coming up. Has everyone here seen this apparent break through! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17221490
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Your posts are always fakes. You put out new garbage in perfectly good threads so the progress of the conversation is interrupted or corrupted.

The only thing we can be certain of is that you do not MEAN what you are saying.

As someone said to me recently after I made a similar comment ... We have a friend in the ignore list
  • Reply 17 of 49
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

I may have mentioned this on an earlier thread, but it would be great if you could merge several AppleIDs into one for use with iCloud. Those of us that had for various reasons accounts in different countries would benefit greatly. I have also had a different ID for Mobile Me and I know many others that had an additional ID for .mac and even further back.

Until then I believe Cloud will be useful, but not as groundbreaking as it could be. However, if you are new to the Apple eco system it is no problem.

I too have .me ids, two app store ids in different countries and not merging any of that has been a headache. I recently downloaded the separate itunesU app and for some reason I can't login via my regular store id, the password when entered correctly doesn't login, and when ented wrong it outputs error in password. ICloud is indeed beta and someone else said they better hire more people as syncing across macs has been very error prone...
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

"IGNORE LIST" this mangy troll and don't reply to the stupid comments they post. Then those that have used the ignore list to avoid seeing the stupidity don't have to see it in a reply.

The ignore list is your friend. Learn it, know it, exercise it, live it....
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

"IGNORE LIST" this mangy troll and don't reply to the stupid comments they post. Then those that have used the ignore list to avoid seeing the stupidity don't have to see it in a reply.

I often wonder why the blog software used on sites like this can't exclude even replies to those that are on the ignore list? It seems to me it wouldn't be rocket science.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

Exactly! Mine has just hit 60 entries, with a surge recently. \