More alleged third-gen iPad parts suggest just minor changes to design

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014


A new report claiming to have pieced together several components for the third-generation iPad appears to show that Apple has planned few changes to the design of its popular tablet.



MIC Gadget posted on Sunday hands-on footage with an alleged front glass panel, rear shell and some internal parts to the next-generation iPad, which is expected to be unveiled at an Apple media event later this week.



The report claimed the purported next-gen iPad components debunk highly speculative rumors that Apple will remove the home button from the device. Though some had pointed to Apple's invitation to this week's event as evidence of the arrival of an iPad without a home button, others have claimed that the image simply showed an iPad in landscape mode.



Alleged next-gen iPad cases purchased in Shenzhen, China were found to fit the purported "iPad 3" rear shell, which reportedly has more tapered edges than the iPad 2, perfectly. According to the publication, case manufacturers have already begun shipping thousands of such cases to the U.S. this past week. The third-generation tablet is expected to be slightly thicker than its predecessor.







Though various reports have suggested that Apple will introduce an LTE iPad at its media event on March 7, the publication's sources assert that the company is not yet ready to enter the LTE market. According to the report, Apple's decision to hold off on 4G data will result in the release of the third-generation iPad with the same storage options and pricing as the iPad 2. Author Steve Lo further speculated that LTE-compatible Qualcomm chipsets will "most likely" make their way into the fourth-generation iPad.
















The third-generation iPad is expected to have a high-definition Retina Display with four times as many pixels as the iPad 2. The device will also likely sport an upgraded processor, though there is some disagreement whether the new chip will be a quad-core or dual-core model.



Sunday's report also affirmed expectations that Apple will announce an update to its Apple TV set-top box this week. The new device would reportedly feature an A5X processor employing "lower nanometer manufacturing" to run cooler and more energy efficient. Tipsters went on to claim that a new "one more thing" item, codenamed B28, could make an appearance at Wednesday's event and may have something to do with Apple's Siri voice assistant.



Inventory of the current-generation Apple TV appears to have dried up for several different resellers even as talk of an imminent update has picked up.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«13456

Comments

  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,978member
    It's good that we still have some mystery inserted. It has been too clear-cut for the past, well, five months or so.



    So, LTE or 3G?

    Quad-core A6 or dual-core A5X?



    And if the latter, does this just become the iPad 2X?
  • lighteningkidlighteningkid Posts: 357member
    B28? Apple's one more thing sounds like it's going to be either a fighter jet or a new vitamin.
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post


    B28? Apple's one more thing sounds like it's going to be either a fighter jet or a new vitamin.



    Business two eight core xeons



    I wish!
  • titusmtitusm Posts: 21member
    Sounds like there is no need to sell my iPad2 quickly. Gonna wait until autumns 4G device and perhaps the full tv set.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,978member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titusm View Post


    Sounds like there is no need to sell my iPad2 quickly. Gonna wait until autumns 4G device and perhaps the full tv set.



    What? 4G device in autumn? The 6th iPhone?
  • pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titusm View Post


    Sounds like there is no need to sell my iPad2 quickly. Gonna wait until autumns 4G device and perhaps the full tv set.



    Ugh, this theory again? Didn't we go through this last time? Where's the supposed "iPad 2 HD" released in Fall 2011?



    There will be one iPad this year, and it will either be 4G or it won't.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Good video detail and editing but there needs to be a warning that music was pulled from every horrible feel good 80's comedy.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titusm View Post


    Gonna wait until autumns 4G device and perhaps the full tv set.



    I'd love to hear the theory about the 4G iPad in the Autumn.



    As for the "full TV set" I'll defer to Jean-Louis Gassée recent article:
  • MarvinMarvin Posts: 13,649member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Business two eight core xeons



    Nah, B28 will just be a giant spongy pencil/stylus.



    They might have made a huge leap in computing power and instead of A6, they're just jumping all the way up to B28. Some Macbook Air-based ARM machine based on the Cortex A15 28nm.



    I don't know why tipsters have to give so little info. They could have at least said where they found it so we have some context. Ah well, roll on Wednesday.
  • charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titusm View Post


    Sounds like there is no need to sell my iPad2 quickly. Gonna wait until autumns 4G device and perhaps the full tv set.



    There's no confirmation a tv set is happening.



    Also all this video shows us is that the next iPad has the same basic shape, frame and back piece. Nothing about the important pieces which are the processor, storage, ram, display, antennas.
  • pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I've always been sceptical of 4G being in the iPad 3. Seems more likely to go into the next iPhone first. Of course, they can release a 4G model whenever they want, since it would be a separate model and would only release in some regions (it makes no sense selling 4G products in countries that don't have 4G yet). It's plausible that they'd release 4G versions along with the next iPhone (which would also come in 3G and 4G flavours).



    Since it's going to be thicker, I'm kind of worried it'll be heavier.
  • boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,118member
    Can you say, "iPad 2S"?
  • ewanewan Posts: 36member
    Apple patented the horizontal pin connection, I really hope they use it because I think an iPad would be better if it was in landscape mode since most media is used on landscape. Maybe that's why the invitation didn't have a home button, it may be on the other side now! Let's hope.
  • michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,855member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post




    Can you say, "iPad 2S"?



    Apple said "iPhone 4S" and sold a ton of them...



    Remember all the people who said the iPhone 4S wasn't a big enough upgrade?



    The market certainly didn't think so. The same will be true with the next iPad.



    When people want "an iPhone" or "an iPad" they will buy one... whatever it's called.
  • applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post




    I'd love to here the theory about the 4G iPad in the Autumn.




    Here the theory ??????
  • tailstootailstoo Posts: 22member
    The more information that comes out, the more I'm tempted to hold off.



    A high Res display and Siri are great, but Apple should keep pushing the envelope. "Good enough" is how you go from market leader to an also ran. They have the lead in tablet computing - padding their pockets for year by making a device that isn't cutting edge will harm the company.



    LTE is pretty common in the Android world, the iPad really needs to have it. It's fine that Apple doesn't want to include an SD slot, but make a 128GB model available then. I know processor speed isn't everything, but if Android makers are using quad cores, then make sure that the processor and graphics are powerful enough to drive the Retina display. The rumors are saying that the cameras are better, but they should at least be to the iPhone 4 level.



    Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised on Wednesday.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post


    I've always been sceptical of 4G being in the iPad 3. Seems more likely to go into the next iPhone first. Of course, they can release a 4G model whenever they want, since it would be a separate model and would only release in some regions (it makes no sense selling 4G products in countries that don't have 4G yet). It's plausible that they'd release 4G versions along with the next iPhone (which would also come in 3G and 4G flavours).



    I'm skeptical, too, but I can certainly make a case for LTE showing up in the iPad first. I think the biggest factor to consider as to why they they would add this feature in the iPad before the iPhone is whether they think it's more important to do a power play to close off the iPad (née tablet) market to anyone trying to make a significant impact.



    Off topic: AT&T is looking to get remaining customers off '2G' devices so they can reassign that GSM bandwidth to LTE. They are apparently starting in NYC where it surely is needed. I look forward to that.



    Quote:

    Since it's going to be thicker, I'm kind of worried it'll be heavier.



    Apple has released plenty of iOS-based iDevices that were smaller and yet heavier than their predecessors so I think it's possible, especially when considering the potential need for a larger battery for the new display.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ewan View Post


    Apple patented the horizontal pin connection, I really hope they use it because I think an iPad would be better if it was in landscape mode since most media is used on landscape. Maybe that's why the invitation didn't have a home button, it may be on the other side now! Let's hope.



    I don't see that happening.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


    Remember all the people who said the iPhone 4S wasn't a big enough upgrade?



    "We upgraded everything but the casing and the nomenclature."

    "Not good enough!"
  • tailstootailstoo Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


    Apple said "iPhone 4S" and sold a ton of them...



    Remember all the people who said the iPhone 4S wasn't a big enough upgrade?



    The market certainly didn't think so. The same will be true with the next iPad.



    When people want "an iPhone" or "an iPad" they will buy one... whatever it's called.



    Just about everyone uses a mobile phone now. If it's time to buy a new one, people are going to buy whatever iPhone they can get.



    Tablets are another matter - not many people NEED a tablet. They're more like a nice-to-have. Apple has to convince people to make that purchase, and a modest upgrade won't look so good when the competition is trying to do all they can to steal Apple's market share.



    Hopefully Apple will continue to innovate, and not decide to make this year's iPad a small upgrade with larger margins.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post


    It's fine that Apple doesn't want to include an SD slot, but make a 128GB model available then.



    Only $200 and 10MBps¡ They won't add an SD card. Heck, even on-board NAND needs to be faster. Don't expect 128Gb until the price comes down and the double density chips have good enough speed and write cycles. So far I haven't seen any of that.



    Quote:

    I know processor speed isn't everything, but if Android makers are using quad cores, then make sure that the processor and graphics are powerful enough to drive the Retina display.



    How are those two things part of the same sentence? Why would you presume that Apple might not use HW that can drive the HiDPI display? They have yet to be beat by any other handset or tablet maker when it comes to the smoothness of the UI. The user experience is kind of their forte.



    Quote:

    The rumors are saying that the cameras are better, but they should at least be to the iPhone 4 level.



    Maybe it'll be the same Sony component but I don't see why it should be. It's a camera on a tablet after all. Is there even a flash hole on those leaked cases? I didn't notice one.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,978member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post


    Here the theory ??????



    "Here the, here the, buy decrea ouv thuh keyng!"



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post


    Hopefully Apple will continue to innovate, and not decide to make this year's iPad a small upgrade with larger margins.



    I figure A5X, 5MP back, 2048x1536 front, same capacities, same prices, iOS 5.1, no other changes.
  • santoandersonsantoanderson Posts: 98member
    No 4G/LTE? Hmmmm, I guess I'll be saving $129.
Sign In or Register to comment.