Nokia?s 41 Megapixel 808 Pureview, Hype or Tech Magic?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So after a full week in Barcelona I came home feeling more tired then I have felt in a very long time. I also came back feeling very satisfied with how the future of mobile is looking.

One of the coolest phones I saw was Nokia's 808 Pureview. The camera on this thing seems almost magical in the way it shoots photos and videos. The photos are perfect, no noise, great color and the sensor is extremely fast. Now the phone they chose to insert this monster of a sensor to isn't the most cutting edge phone on the market in any sense, however it is still very capable. 1.3 GHZ CPU, ! GB RAM, 16 GB storage and the strangest part, OS Belle. Now a lot of people might argue that Symbian is crap and it should have been scrapped a long time ago. When you get tp play with this phone however I think you will change your mind very quickly. The OS is very quick has all the modern apps that you could you want, even Microsofts new Office for Symbian which kicks major ass. Best of all though is the camera software is amazing and very intuitive, best I've ever seen next to HTC's of course.

All that being said though I don't think I could replace my Samsung Note with one but I can replace my Sony camera. In fact I think I can even replace my Canon EOS 60D. With the digital zoom of the 808 I was able to get about 250mm and still retain a picture quality relavant of 8 megapixels, WITH A DIGITAL ZOOM!

VIdeos were something that I couldn't get over, I was able to shoot 1080p at 60 FPS from a camera that fit in my hands. Ok so a decent camera now a days cost anywhere from 300 to 600 dollars. When introduced you should be able to pick one of these Nokia's up for about 450 Euros off contract, this isn't half bad when considering you can also upload your photos and videos directly to the net on any photosharing site with out having to sync it with a computer first. Which makes it perfect for photo journalism or any other field photography work.

Yea I'm trying to justify the cost but if you got the chance to play with one as I did I think you would be selling your old camera right now and saving your pennies for the April release. It's that good, so good that I was able to take a picture of a person from the reflection of someones glasses, wow.

I'm very surprised that this hasn't been discussed yet on this board. Anyone else excited about this technology and what it can mean for the future of camera phones.

This phone will be introduced here in Europe first, so if anyone is interested in one just send me a Private Message and I can arrange one for you. It will be cheaper here then if you bought one in the US, that's if it's even available in the US.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Why would I want 41 megapixel pictures before I had a display that could handle them? Or at all, when I think about it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would I want 41 megapixel pictures before I had a display that could handle them? Or at all, when I think about it.

Because the sample pictures show impressive noise reduction capabilities even full blown DSLR cant compete.

Take a look at the sample sky lines from the Nokia to the ones from Canon's best.

It is especially noticeable in the gradations in the blue sky.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Because the sample pictures show impressive noise reduction capabilities even full blown DSLR cant compete.

Hmm? I'd have to see them larger.

One thing's for certain, Zeiss continues to prove that they know their stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

You really have to see the pictures to believe them, you wouldn't be asking those type of questions then. Mostly you need it for the digital zoom, like I mentioned before I was able to zoom in at 250mm and still retain a great picture that is equivalent to a 8MP camera. Now that's amazing .
  • Reply 5 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Hmm? I'd have to see them larger.

One thing's for certain, Zeiss continues to prove that they know their stuff.

Actually the amazing tech was done by Toshiba and Nokia, yes the lens is always important but Toshiba was able to make an incredible stabilization unit and Nokia designed the sensor. I really wish you guys could have played with one it is a site to behold. When I was taking video the rep paused me and showed me that any frame in the video could be used as a still and you know what those stills where amazing, everyone of them. So can you imagine using this for a sporting event, instead of taking a bunch of pictures you would just take a video and take out the stills you want.
  • Reply 6 of 6

Yeah !!

Its really a very nice phone developed by nokia.I just bought this phone last week and i am enjoying taking photographs and making videos.

Greatly the 41 megapixel camera has a amazing sensor,

which will let you know that the pictures you are taking for are not just the pictures but they seems like real ones.