More alleged third-gen iPad parts suggest just minor changes to design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Really looking forward to how all this is falling into place. Retina display, improved camera optics and Siri all address the primary limitations of the iPad 2.

I doubt it will feature a quad core processor, 128 GB or LTE though. Seems like too much at once.

I like the idea of Apple TV but will wait and see if they will be pushing a dedicated app store or leveraging airplay.
  • Reply 22 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

Just about everyone uses a mobile phone now. If it's time to buy a new one, people are going to buy whatever iPhone they can get.

Tablets are another matter - not many people NEED a tablet. They're more like a nice-to-have. Apple has to convince people to make that purchase, and a modest upgrade won't look so good when the competition is trying to do all they can to steal Apple's market share.

Hopefully Apple will continue to innovate, and not decide to make this year's iPad a small upgrade with larger margins.

You have the concept correct but the result backwards. It's the subsidized handset market that makes it easy for people to go for an Android phone over an iPhone but with tablets their is no subsidy so the decision requires the buyer to think about their purchase more. The ecosystem matters. This is why Apple owns the tablet market in 2 years time despite it existing for 3 decades or only since 2010, depending on your tilt. If they release a HiDPI display at the same price points I think they will close have made it into an iPod-esque domination in record time.
  • Reply 23 of 108
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    No LTE will be a real disappointment. You can always opt for the Sierra 4G hotspot instead. I have one and I like it quite a lot although it is one more device to carry
  • Reply 24 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I doubt it will feature a quad core processor, 128 GB or LTE though. Seems like too much at once.

Quad-core seems more likely but as we're seeing from Qualcomm's Krait dual-core is better for both performance and power savings when you use the more advanced architecture. I think Krait is about as unique from Cortex-A9/A15 as Apple's A5 is from Cortex-A9 so it's possible they could employe the same tactics. Still, I'd wager on quad-core.
  • Reply 25 of 108
    Prediction: quad-core: no, 4G LTE: no.
  • Reply 26 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quad-core seems more likely but as we're seeing from Qualcomm's Krait dual-core is better for performance and power savings when you use more advanced architecture. I think Krait is about as unique from Cortex-A9/A15 as Apple's A5 is from Cortex-A9 so it's possible they could employed the same tactics. Still, I'd wager on quad-core.

Quad core is not enough! I need 16 cores in my tablet so I can feel superior to all of the other "big spec" tablets out there. Propping up one's self-esteem is the ONLY reason to own hardware.

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 27 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    This was obvious. The short sellers had to hype the iPad 3 with all sorts of silly claims that were not going to be true so that they can benefit when the share price drops.
  • Reply 28 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Propping up one's self-esteem is the ONLY reason to own hardware.

Well, that and making sure to buy the new model if it gets a new enclosure or whining about the new model if it doesn't get a new enclosure, because you need others to see that you have the newest model, too.
  • Reply 29 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, that and making sure to buy the new model if it gets a new enclosure or whining about the new model if it doesn't get a new enclosure, because you need others to see that you have the newest model, too.

I wonder if some people think that by always complaining people will see them as intelligent and/or analytical. I wonder how that is working out for them.
  • Reply 30 of 108
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:

Just about everyone uses a mobile phone now. If it's time to buy a new one, people are going to buy whatever iPhone they can get.

Tablets are another matter - not many people NEED a tablet. They're more like a nice-to-have. Apple has to convince people to make that purchase, and a modest upgrade won't look so good when the competition is trying to do all they can to steal Apple's market share.

Hopefully Apple will continue to innovate, and not decide to make this year's iPad a small upgrade with larger margins.

There is a huge untapped market of non-iPad users. That's who Apple is targeting too... not just current iPad users.

If the next iPad is simply a "modest" upgrade to the current iPad... it's still wonderful to a person who doesn't have an iPad already.

This happens all the time in the tech industry. HP and Dell keep pumping out new laptops year after year. But you're not expected to buy every single one.

Same for point-n-shoot cameras. Canon launches 10 new cameras a year. They don't do that for the person who just bought a camera last year... it's for everyone else who might need a new camera at the moment.

My prediction: I bet most iPads sold this year go to first-time owners. They won't complain that it's just a "modest" upgrade over the previous model...

I think we get caught up in the notion that Apple fans buy each and every Apple product that is released.

There's a whole other market of potential customers out there. Somebody is ready to buy at any given time.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

The more information that comes out, the more I'm tempted to hold off.

A high Res display and Siri are great, but Apple should keep pushing the envelope. "Good enough" is how you go from market leader to an also ran. They have the lead in tablet computing - padding their pockets for year by making a device that isn't cutting edge will harm the company.

LTE is pretty common in the Android world, the iPad really needs to have it. It's fine that Apple doesn't want to include an SD slot, but make a 128GB model available then. I know processor speed isn't everything, but if Android makers are using quad cores, then make sure that the processor and graphics are powerful enough to drive the Retina display. The rumors are saying that the cameras are better, but they should at least be to the iPhone 4 level.

Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised on Wednesday.

You are suggesting they change all these things because of the competition from Android, but there actually is no competition from Android.

In other words you are arguing that the hugely successful iPad design be altered to be more in line with the hugely unsuccessfull designs of their would-be competitors.
  • Reply 32 of 108
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claiming to have pieced together several components for the third-generation iPad appears to show that Apple has planned few changes to the design of its popular tablet.

One sure sign of great design is that it's difficult to improve. Brilliant engineering can often be recognized by the way in which successive iterations become ever more subtle, because tiny, evolutionary changes are all that can be made without reducing the quality of the end result. Separated from its popular redefinition as a dominance game played by the ignorant via conspicuous consumption, taste is really nothing more than sensitivity… the capacity for subtle perception.

Because concepts like taste and elegance have historically been among the trappings of oppression and we fancy ourselves a democracy, we as a culture now suspect the very words. It's time to remember that "refinement" is nothing more than the process of discarding what isn't intrinsic until only the real thing remains. It's figuratively and literally the inverse of how we make crap. Instead of elegance, we tastelessly base our economy, endeavors, and lives on false assumptions and inevitably destroy what we've created in hopes of squeezing another buck out of it. Advertising is a great example of this, being nothing more than propaganda designed to dupe people into valuing the "new and improved," never more so than when it's neither. You can no more advertise elegance than you can fight for peace.

Once we all decided the purpose of life was to Get Rich, it was inevitable that destructive vulgarity would not only be accepted and admired, but the only thing we aspire to. It's not about what bad you carry or what fork you use: vulgarity results from a lack of integrity, first in ourselves, and then (inevitably) in everything we touch. If we rewrite "The Emperor's New Clothes" for our time, its the Emperor who's wise and his subjects who're fools. The moral is that, having been subjected to exacting design standards for thousands of years, the human body is unlikely to be improved by slapping this season's Versace on it. Boredom, in particular, is almost entirely a statement about the inability of the bored to pay attention. It's both an aesthetic and a moral failing – the two are inextricable.

Meanwhile, back at the nerd ranch, tech journalism remains at the forefront of a largely unexamined and completely fallacious assumption built into capitalism: that change itself is good. Conflating elegant design with profitability is a mistake when our economy guarantees that they're antithetical far more often than not. Personal electronics have become the physical equivalent of stockbrokers churning their clients: making changes to portfolios which benefit only the broker. So long as the primary goal is to profit by creating change, an exploding car will always be preferable to a gorgeous, reliable, efficient, and safe one. Of course we love to blow tihs up, don't we… So long as its other peoples' tihs.

Consider that if the last version of anything met a real need in an extraordinarily effective way, why should the next version be significantly different? Have our needs already really changed so much so quickly, or are we just bored, which is to say, not paying attention?
  • Reply 33 of 108
    starbirdstarbird Posts: 42member
    Quote:

LTE is pretty common in the Android world, the iPad really needs to have it.

Didn't Verizon just state that a whopping FIVE percent of their customers use 4G? Yeah, definitely a must have...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

No 4G/LTE? Hmmmm, I guess I'll be saving $129.

Ditto.
  • Reply 34 of 108
    Then the new iPad is 2S
  • Reply 35 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AMT Develop View Post

Then the new iPad is 2S

What's your implication behind that?
  • Reply 36 of 108
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm just curious why the design would drive the naming convention of the device. So no matter what's changed on the inside, no matter what software changes there are, if this iPad looks like th iPad 2 we have to call it iPad 2S instead of iPad 3?
  • Reply 37 of 108
    tailstootailstoo Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You have the concept correct but the result backwards. It's the subsidized handset market that makes it easy for people to go for an Android phone over an iPhone but with tablets their is no subsidy so the decision requires the buyer to think about their purchase more. The ecosystem matters. This is why Apple owns the tablet market in 2 years time despite it existing for 3 decades or only since 2010, depending on your tilt. If they release a HiDPI display at the same price points I think they will close have made it into an iPod-esque domination in record time.

I think that I have it right - A tablet is something that you need to be motivated to buy. An iPhone is a phone - hundreds of millions of people have them. Apple is still the most hip brand, so people will buy an iPhone without really even understanding why it's different than Android.

An iPad might be cool, but the market is no where near what the phone market is. And subsidized pricing makes it even cheaper (up front) for someone to own an iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 108
    Off topic: Here is a 10 minute video of Win8 on a tablet compared to the iPad. The guy is a bit douche and doesn't seem to understand some basic stuff about the iPad but it does showcase Win8 well. The UI is very, very fast and smooth. After what we've seen with Android, WebOS, and PlayBook OS it's amazingly impressive.

I really like the way they did the split screens for multiple apps on that widescreen display. I also like way Charm Bar in on the right side of the screen; I hope Apple adopts this for the Notification Bar on the iPad. It makes sense to be on top for the iPhone, but on the iPad it's harder to get to.

I do wonder why they kept it plugged in the whole time. That doesn't give me hope that it runs well on ARM. Is that an ARM or Intel-based tablet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird View Post

Didn't Verizon just state that a whopping FIVE percent of their customers use 4G? Yeah, definitely a must have...

Look at where the puck is going. By year's end the '4G' uptake should be high, especially if Apple releases a '4G' capable iPhone. The 3rd gen LTE tech certainly looks to make it feasible for the 6th gen iPhone.
  • Reply 39 of 108
    tailstootailstoo Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm just curious why the design would drive the naming convention of the device. So no matter what's changed on the inside, no matter what software changes there are, if this iPad looks like th iPad 2 we have to call it iPad 2S instead of iPad 3?

Apple does seem to change the device name with major exterior changes (3G-3GS, 4->4S).
  • Reply 40 of 108
    Quote:

I think that I have it right - A tablet is something that you need to be motivated to buy. An iPhone is a phone - hundreds of millions of people have them. Apple is still the most hip brand, so people will buy an iPhone without really even understanding why it's different than Android.

An iPad might be cool, but the market is no where near what the phone market is. And subsidized pricing makes it even cheaper (up front) for someone to own an iPhone.

What you say and what you conclude don't match up.
    • Needing a phone and needing a smartphone are not synonymous.

• Android-based handsets are besting the iPhone in unit sales.

• Apple doesn't have to best the iPhone in sales for the iPad to be a success as we've seen for two years now.

• The PC market is shrinking even faster than before. It's hard to argue that the iPad is not directly responsible.

IOW, your ideas that the iPad needs an SD card, LTE, 128GB, and a quad-core processor with no consideration for using a dual-core processor that has higher performance and uses less power shows that you are out of touch if you think without these things it will be an "also ran". Remember, the iPad started off as having considerably less performance, less HW features, and a curtailed OS compared to every other tablet on the market yet it's the only tablet worth talking about today. Bottom line: user experience not the ability to spank it to a spec sheet is most important.