Apple TV shipping estimates slip as update nears

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Ahead of an expected refresh of its Apple TV set-top box, Apple has begun sliding back shipping estimates, while the majority of U.S. retail stores report being out of stock of the current-generation model.

Shipping estimates for the device in several countries around the world are being pushed back as Apple is no longer reporting immediate availability of the Apple TV in some regions. For instance, Germany's iFun.de noticed () that Apple's online store in the country had shifted from listing the product as "Available" to "Ships in 1-2 business days." Meanwhile, Apple's U.K. site lists the Apple TV as dispatching in "2-4 business days."

Updated availability on Apple's own sites comes as the latest hint that the company may introduce a new version of the Apple TV at its March 7 media event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. Many of Apple's partners have been out of stock of the device for weeks. The product temporarily disappeared from BestBuy.com's listings last month before returning to the site with the notice that it is "Not available for shipping."

The Apple TV is still listed as in stock on the company's U.S. online store. However, MacRumors went through and tracked availability at Apple's brick-and-mortar retail stores. According to the publication, 98 percent of locations are out of stock, with just four stores listing availability for immediate pickup. Availability estimates for pickup orders of Apple TV units range from March 9 to March 15.

Reports have speculated that Apple could introduce high-resolution 1080p support on the Apple TV to coincide with the expected introduction of a Retina Display-equipped third-generation iPad. Other evidence points to an upgraded processor for the set-top box, possibly named the "A5X."

The Apple TV is set to continue playing a supporting role in the company's strategy. The release of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion this summer will bring Mac support for the AirPlay Mirroring feature, allowing users to wirelessly broadcast their Mac desktops to the Apple TV.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has indicated that the company still considers the device a "hobby," while also noting that it sees potential for something larger to eventually develop from the product. Apple sold 2.8 million Apple TV units last fiscal year and 1.4 million in the most recent quarter. Cook himself is quite effusive about the device, noting recently that he "couldn't live without it."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    I think

to touch ---> IPAD HD

to see ---> New TV

from the event tag line
  • Reply 2 of 39
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Apple TV HD. Calling it.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Apple TV HD. Calling it.

I've got you beat on that one.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Apple TV w/built-in Time Machine, 1080p HD gigabit internet, Bluetooth 4.0
  • Reply 5 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Apple TV w/built-in Time Machine, 1080p HD gigabit internet, Bluetooth 4.0

1080p and GigE seem pretty certain, after all one already is there. I don't think adding a 2TB+ HDD for TM makes sense and I wouldn't expect BT4.0 unless there was a direct application for it, like a new remote control, perhaps one that can take Siri requests.

I do wonder about is 802.11ac. If it comes with the next Apple TV then I think that means new AirPort routers will need to arrive, but I think those are more likely to debut with the next MBPs. They could just not advertise the HW until they have their routers in place.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I hope 1080p is available on the Mac too, not just the new iPad and Apple TV.

Edit: and if I could upgrade my previously purchased SD and 720p movies that would be wonderful.

Edit 2: And if movies could be in iCloud...
  • Reply 7 of 39
    tnttnt Posts: 21member
    We still have availability, "on stock" says at the online store http://store.apple.com/jp/browse/hom...amily/apple_tv
  • Reply 8 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    1080p video mirroring. Sweet.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is what AppleTV needs more than anything. There is huge potential for a mass produced embeddable computer that supports one app running at a time. Give us access to a USB port and it would be even better.

Frankly I don't think Apple understands what they have in Apple TV. It is basically a full computer with network access for $100. IOS is basically UNIX with a Touch interface that is modified for TVs. The modifications aren't what is important here, it is the solid OS and the capability ARM brings to the fold for $100.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I don't even have my Apple TV plugged in anymore. It's such an antiquated platform with limited functionality and a dreadful UI. Compared to the equally ancient Xbox 360, which is updated regularly and now has a plethora of streaming video apps, there's just no content.

Apple need to rethink the Apple TV from the ground up. A minor spec bump to 1080p is nowhere near enough.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is what AppleTV needs more than anything. There is huge potential for a mass produced embeddable computer that supports one app running at a time. Give us access to a USB port and it would be even better.

Isn't that what video mirroring + iPad is for? You just pretend the iPad is only a controller and the app is running on your TV.

Edit: I don't think video mirroring the iPad is an interim solution, I think it *is* Apple's answer to the consoles.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tnt View Post

We still have availability, "on stock" says at the online store http://store.apple.com/jp/browse/hom...amily/apple_tv

They won't keep selling the old one once the new one comes out. If it will take longer to get to Japan or not, I don't know, but it won't be for reasons of clearing out old stock.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    even though the apple TV shows as available online, if you specify pick up for in store pickup ad enter your zip, it says "Available Mar 9"
  • Reply 14 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Apple TV HD. Calling it.

Well done on being wrong.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Perhaps this potentially "upgraded" apple tv is a stepping stone to a full on tv.

With this one they introduce the possibility of apps for your tv throug the apple tv box, and over the next couple of months, to a year, app development for the living room could grow to thousands or more, giving their actual tv set more backing as to why consumers would want to buy it.

Possible apps to bring to the living room; the bbc iplayer, multiple tv channel apps, angry birds, a weather app, FaceTime, board games that you can play with your family. The app possibilities could go on and on.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Edit: I don't think video mirroring the iPad is an interim solution, I think it *is* Apple's answer to the consoles.

I was watching iPad Today (TWIT Network- on my ATV ironically) and one of their listeners speculated the 7" rumors were for a gaming specific iPod Touch. I scoffed yesterday when I heard that, but combined with AirPlay....

Hmm! I thought Nintendo's new Wii looked a bit derivitave of what I have with the iPhone and my ATV today.

Things could be very interesting tomorrow! This whole gaming aspect makes more sense to me for the "touch" aspect of the anouncement for tomorrows event.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    I think that the iPad third-gen will sport an A6 quad-core processor, with the Apple TV sporting an A5X. This makes sense to me.

Which is why it'll probably be a dual-core A5X for the iPad and a standard A5 for the Apple TV.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    I may not get the iPad 3 right away but I'll probably pick up 1 or 2 aTVs when they come out.

A 7" iPod Touch with A5X for gaming I'd do on launch day too.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Personally I'm hoping for 1080p Apple TV and ability to stream it TO ipad 3.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    rjbrucerjbruce Posts: 45member
    I'm just trying to figure out, with my plans to purchase an iPad tomorrow, how are they going to spoil my plans and convince me to purchase this too? 1080p isn't going to do it...assume there has to be more, likely tied specifically to the new iPad.