Apple's third-gen iPad rumored with more RAM, A5X dual-core CPU and LTE

Comments

• Reply 21 of 188
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

What a clever name - just like the 386X.

Seems like this would be a very short lived chip if they really would release a new iPad in the fall. Seems unlikely, but you never know. 1 year is the max now!

Yeah, seems backwards... iPad needs the horsepower much more than any iPhone.

It is likely that the chip schedules don't match the iDevice schedules.

I could see Apple getting away with releasing another iPad in the fall with a big bump in power (new CPU/GPU), maybe a larger display -- at a higher price (to avoid buyer's remorse).
  • Reply 22 of 188
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Strange silence about storage.

Storage will be the same.
  • Reply 23 of 188
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    For the basic user, Quad core anything is overkill. The only time they become useful is if you are a power user and are running cpu intensive programs simultaneously. Upgrading the GPU and RAM on the iPad will be crucial in order to continue to develop more graphic intensive games, improved frame rates, and multi tasking. The new retina screen will also be a giant leap forward. Everything else is just marketing hype. Unless of course they include an SD card slot.
  • Reply 24 of 188
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The difference is that Apple will release apps with the arbitrary restriction that they will only install on an iPad HD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

1) Buffering/Decoding/Rendering high-def streamed video

2) High FPS games

3) Editing Video, Audio

4) AirPlay Mirroring

come to mind.

The original poster referred to the additional specs being a laptop replacement. What functions or apps would make an iPad3 a replacement for laptops as opposed to an iPad2.

The current iPad2 certainly is not a slow machine at all. Of course more horsepower is always welcome but I've heard people constantly say an iPad will never be a notebook replacement (it's a "toy") and here is this individual saying it would. I'm asking why a 3 and not a 2??
  • Reply 25 of 188
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

2) High FPS games]

I think the OP was referring to the CPU, but even if he did mean the GPU the double density display will likely cause the iPad 3's frame rates to be lower than the iPad 2 just as we saw the iPhone 4's frame rates turn out to be lower than the iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 26 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No more info on the mysterious B28? Looking forward to tomorrow, for sure. Glad I'm on the west coast.

Why? Everyone will tune in at the same moment in time.
  • Reply 27 of 188
    The IPad is great but falls well short of a laptop. All I want is to be able to update the various content management site Im responsible for. Most if not all teachers use need this capability. You can't upload files in safari to such sites as blackboard, Moodle or even Drupal in Drupal or any ISo devices....I wonder if that will be addressed??
  • Reply 28 of 188
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is rumored to unveil a third-generation iPad with more RAM than the iPad 2, along with a dual-core "A5X" processor that's been called "an A5 on steroids." ...

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with this but I will point our that Topolsky is very often wrong and embarrassingly so. He is famous for believing the most preposterous of rumours.
  • Reply 29 of 188
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    If the new iPad is going to use a dual core cpu I wonder if it will be an A7 derivative like the Qualcom Krait. That chip looks like a speed demon.
  • Reply 30 of 188
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Strange silence about storage...If they release a 16gb model it will be a mockery with respect to what the iPad can and must hold in terms of apps and content. 16gb in this day and age, with retina and all the apps and uses for the iPad will be just plain taking advantage of those who can't afford the more expensive models...what a shame to own such a great device and not be able to use it for shit due to the crippled storage.

I don't know... Where WiFi is available it would be fairly efficient to crossload from a Mac or PC or download from iCloud.
  • Reply 31 of 188
    The lack of quad core doesn't surprise me. Apple needs to feed incremental updates every year. What would they push next year? I also imagine the screen resolution and LTE alone are going to put a good sized dent in battery life, adding quad core would just mean that much more. Apple is already way far and ahead in the tablet space, why push everything at once. Either way, my iPad 2 (wifi) will serve just fine for another year. The screen while gorgeous as it will be doesn't justify another $600-700 from me this year.
  • Reply 32 of 188
    Only 3G interanationally??? WTF??? Seriously Apple???
  • Reply 33 of 188
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Storage will be the same.

Sound like it, and this sucks big time, retina, 4 or two cores, larger ram... What good do all these do on a storge level of 16 gb for a device hats not jut a laptop replacement but in many respects much more versatile than a laptop? 16g is ipod nano storage capacity, not iPad... A few albums, 20-30 apps, couple of games and movies and you are done, no room to store photos, take vids from the camera, store PDFs and content in reader apps, no iTunesu, podcasts, audiobooks, no large game apps, no storage for interactive books, etc. etc. and all that of course made even worse with iPad apps using retina resolution graphics...

Quote:

I don't know... Where WiFi is available it would be fairly efficient to crossload from a Mac or PC or download from iCloud.

What to load first and what to offload and where? I could see iCloud being os some assistance with 32gb iPads, but 16gb ones? The air 4 years ago had 60gb standard and arguably the iPad is now much more versatile than the air, it's more app rich for sure, and 4 year onwards iPad starts with a fourth of that?
  • Reply 34 of 188
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quick, now do a rumor with A6, 512MB RAM, and no LTE. Then LTE, A5X, and 1GB RAM. And every other possible freaking combination you can do in less than 24 hours.
  • Reply 35 of 188
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I don't care if it's dual-core or quad-core -- Apple knows what it's doing with regards to performance with such an increase in resolution. All I care is that it has at least 1GB of RAM and double the storage capacities at the same price points, i.e. 32GB/64GB/128GB.

Agreed. Need more space for all those apps, music, and video
  • Reply 36 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

More power is used grabbing data over a network again than storing it in RAM. And there are few applications that would use all 4 cores effectively (heck, most don't bother to use two because it's really not needed).

While few if any apps use two cores, keep in mind that the iPhone and iPad do multitasking. There is the foreground app that may be being used to write a document or spreadsheet. Meanwhile, the user may be streaming music or just playing music, all the while the device is checking for messages and mail.

Meanwhile the GPU is handing the screen graphics for which is it optimized.

The iPhone and iPad are incredible devices, but may never need a quad core due to the tight marriage of hardware, iOS and apps.It's more then technical, it's magical.
  • Reply 37 of 188
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaosbringer View Post

Only 3G interanationally??? WTF??? Seriously Apple???

Yes. Let's be furious at Apple for releasing a product that?

OH RIGHT, it's not out yet and no one can actually know anything about it.
  • Reply 38 of 188
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    It could run a Pentium 4 for all I care as long as Apple increased performance while preserving the user experience.
  • Reply 39 of 188
    Quote:

Sound like it, and this sucks big time, retina, 4 or two cores, larger ram... What good do all these do on a storge level of 16 gb for a device hats not jut a laptop replacement but in many respects much more versatile than a laptop? 16g is ipod nano storage capacity, not iPad... A few albums, 20-30 apps, couple of games and movies and you are done, no room to store photos, take vids from the camera, store PDFs and content in reader apps, no iTunesu, podcasts, audiobooks, no large game apps, no storage for interactive books, etc. etc. and all that of course made even worse with iPad apps using retina resolution graphics...

Take a deeeeeep breath and relax. Tim and company have you covered. Large storage may be needed if this were an Android, but it's not... this device is magical.
  • Reply 40 of 188
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The screen uses more power than both. I'm not sure what that has to do with the fact that the RAM uses power also.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

More power is used grabbing data over a network again than storing it in RAM. And there are few applications that would use all 4 cores effectively (heck, most don't bother to use two because it's really not needed).