The new iPad will be black

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple showed everyone, and no one saw it...

This is not a lighting / photoshopping error, silver colored aluminium will never look this black, Apple would never make such a mistake.

And touch.

Hmm, maybe it isn't made in aluminium, but something that is nice and light to touch and hold?

Best regards

Kim Neeper Rasmussen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    You're reading too much into this. Apple's product renders are frequently inaccurate if examined closely. It could be black, but using the marketing graphic as proof ignores the historical record for product imagery accuracy.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    neeperneeper Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

You're reading too much into this. Apple's product renders are frequently inaccurate if examined closely. It could be black, but using the marketing graphic as proof ignores the historical record for product imagery accuracy.

This has nothing to do with some little photoshopping inaccuracy, open your eyes, it is black!

It is not silver, not even close to being silver, and no one sees it, and when someone points out the emperor doesn't wear any clothes, then no one want's to believe it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neeper View Post

This is not a lighting / photoshopping error

Nope, it's just what light LOOKS LIKE in this scenario.

Quote:

silver colored aluminum will never look this black

My iPad looks that black right now. Blacker, actually, by a very large amount. IT'S IN THE DARK.

Quote:

Apple would never make such a mistake.

Exactly. They chose to give it very little light to accentuate the display.

Quote:

Hmm, maybe it isn't made in aluminium, but something that is nice and light to touch and hold?

Or maybe it HAS A TOUCHSCREEN.

I love it when people go completely and utterly insane like this.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    My skepticism has nothing to do with wanting to believe anything. I don't know what color the new iPad will be and I wouldn't be disappointed if it was black. That might actually satisfy my tastes better.

Its a simple matter of looking at the historical record of Apple's product imagery. There are frequently minor differences if examined closely.

One obvious reason why it may not resemble reality this time around is that there is white text overlaying the image. For this text to be legible, either a drop shadow must be used or the background darkened. Note that the aluminum directly behind the text is nearly completed blacked out.

With that said, sure, it could still be black. We just don't know.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My iPad looks that black right now. Blacker, actually, by a very large amount. IT'S IN THE DARK.

Ok, I'll repeat myself. I think you're an idiot.

Kim
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Can you explain how this is going completely and utterly insane?

Do you think it is okay for a moderator to act the way you do?

Kim
  • Reply 7 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neeper View Post

Can you explain how this is going completely and utterly insane?

The way that the Apple fan base always overanalyzes invitations and leaked product images. I love this stuff!

Quote:

Do you think it is okay for a moderator to act the way you do?

Lighten up. I hold no animosity toward the wanna-be forensic analysts who tear apart leaked product images, throw them into Photoshop, kick the levels up, invert the colors, and then once they've given a point-for-point rundown of why the images are fake be shocked when the product actually comes out. And I love the things that people come up with for event invites. It's great fun to see people go so far out of their way to ignore what's right in front of their faces.

I used to be guilty of it too, and then Apple released a Mac Mini with a mini DVI port and that made me give up SERIOUS analysis of the legitimacy of leaked images and keynote invites.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

The way that the Apple fan base always overanalyzes invitations and leaked product images. I love this stuff!

Lighten up. I hold no animosity toward the wanna-be forensic analysts who tear apart leaked product images, throw them into Photoshop, kick the levels up, invert the colors, and then once they've given a point-for-point rundown of why the images are fake be shocked when the product actually comes out. And I love the things that people come up with for event invites. It's great fun to see people go so far out of their way to ignore what's right in front of their faces.

I used to be guilty of it too, and then Apple released a Mac Mini with a mini DVI port and that made me give up SERIOUS analysis of the legitimacy of leaked images and keynote invites.

I'm an industrial designer, I work in Rhino and Maxwell just like Apple, and I have extreme attention to detail. First thing I saw, when I saw the invitation was, oh, it's a black iPad!

The photo I show here is not modified. The silver colored iPad 2 is a screenshot from Apple's ad "We believe". It shows how silver anodized aluminium look on a dark background in low lighting - it looks - silver. The rendering from the March 7 event invitation, shows a black, kind of gun metal colored iPad. It is on a grey background, meaning that there is quite some light in the scene, so if it had been a silver colored iPad, it would light up even more than the one in the background.

This is not doing some setting in PS a little wrong, a silver colored iPad can never look like this, it is a grey / orange / brown kind of black.

Or, maybe I'm wrong, maybe they lost all attention to detail now that Steve's not with them anymore?

Let's see what they bring out tomorrow.

Kim
  • Reply 9 of 9
    So how's that extreme attention to detail treating you today?

Hopefully this is a lesson about the naivety of overly certain proclamations.