Apple TV shipping estimates slip as update nears

2»

Comments

  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post


    Personally I'm hoping for 1080p Apple TV and ability to stream it TO ipad 3.



    Strean from iPad to Apple TV makes sense. I'm not sure how accessing content on the Apple TV and then having it display on your iPad makes sense.
  • carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Seems to me that if Apple intends to revolutionize TV, it needs an external solution like the Apple TV so that the Apple interface can be applied to existing sets.



    You can't get momentum if you are asking consumers to replace all their sets and do so with a product that will no doubt cost more than your typical TV set. Adoption would be glacial if using Apple's service required a complete redo of your television equipment.



    So we would likely see first an Apple TV that brings Apple's system to homes via a set-top box and then we would see a full-bore Apple set that incorporates Apple's approach. There was recently a rumour that two Canadian service providers were testing an Apple set but I suspect those providers were testing the next Apple TV that will be offered in tandem with a subscription model developed by Apple.
  • aderutteraderutter Posts: 218member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Strean from iPad to Apple TV makes sense. I'm not sure how accessing content on the Apple TV and then having it display on your iPad makes sense.



    I have my Apple TV rigged up to my projector etc. but sometimes would rather watch it's output sat on the sofa with an ipad instead. i.e. use the ipad as the tv.

    In fact I'd like to be able to use an ipad as a monitor generally, so I can watch blurays on it etc.
  • charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    I hope 1080p is available on the Mac too, not just the new iPad and Apple TV.



    Edit: and if I could upgrade my previously purchased SD and 720p movies that would be wonderful.



    Edit 2: And if movies could be in iCloud...



    I can't agree more. Plus as sales and rentals across the board with Extras and LP across the board. It seems dumb Apple hasn't figured out how to get the latter two on iOS devices. It makes me think they do know how but contracts have blocked it.
  • charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Frankly I don't think Apple understands what they have in Apple TV.



    Apple totally understands what they could have with the Apple TV. But what you are dreaming it not what they want to do with this device. It's not mention be your central hub but one of the spokes, same as your iPad etc.



    As for the apps, not all of the Apps will really work well for something like the Apple TV so I can see why they haven't just opened it up to everything. The storage is small and is meant to stay that way. so they are picking and choosing the most appropriate apps for a TV focused system and making deals for those. But they have also given the developers APIs to use Airplay for some rather nice tricks if they wish. And Airplay mirroring can give you the TV display for even more apps if you wish.
  • charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post


    Personally I'm hoping for 1080p Apple TV and ability to stream it TO ipad 3.



    There's no real logic to that. All the apps that run on the Apple TV came from the iPad in the first place so just get them and stream straight to your iPad.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post


    I have my Apple TV rigged up to my projector etc. but sometimes would rather watch it's output sat on the sofa with an ipad instead. i.e. use the ipad as the tv.

    In fact I'd like to be able to use an ipad as a monitor generally, so I can watch blurays on it etc.



    Streaming from an iPad to an AppleTV makes sense because you can control the content with an iPad, but to push it from the AppleTV to an iPad means you using the Apple Remote (physical or virtual) to then send content you should already have access to on your iPad in the most circuitous way. As for wanting to stream Blu-ray discs to your iPad I simply don't know where to begin.
  • aderutteraderutter Posts: 218member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Streaming from an iPad to an AppleTV makes sense because you can control the content with an iPad, but to push it from the AppleTV to an iPad means you using the Apple Remote (physical or virtual) to then send content you should already have access to on your iPad in the most circuitous way. As for wanting to stream Blu-ray discs to your iPad I simply don't know where to begin.



    Lol. I'm bandwidth challenged. I typically set an tv episode downloading on Apple TV the day before I watch it. I don't want to tie up an ipad downloading for ages before I can watch it on it.



    If I ever get fibre then I won't care quite so much (but I'd still like to stream from my ps3 to an ipad). I don't want an actual tv in my house (yet another display device).
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post


    Lol. I'm bandwidth challenged. I typically set an tv episode downloading on Apple TV the day before I watch it. I don't want to tie up an ipad downloading for ages before I can watch it on it.



    If I ever get fibre then I won't care quite so much (but I'd still like to stream from my ps3 to an ipad). I don't want an actual tv in my house (yet another display device).



    Why not just get the TV on your iPad in the first place? It's not like you can't do other things while it's downloading or can't set it download at night, since you don't watch it until the next day. Bottom line: If you want to watch content on your iPad then DL to your iPad. You could also just send to a Mac/PC with iTunes and then copy over via WiFi or USB, too.



    You won't ever be able to stream from your PS3 to a device using AirPlay.
  • evilutionevilution Posts: 997member
    "Just one more thing".
  • aderutteraderutter Posts: 218member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Why not just get the TV on your iPad in the first place? It's not like you can't do other things while it's downloading or can't set it download at night, since you don't watch it until the next day. Bottom line: If you want to watch content on your iPad then DL to your iPad. You could also just send to a Mac/PC with iTunes and then copy over via WiFi or USB, too.



    You won't ever be able to stream from your PS3 to a device using AirPlay.



    I want two things:



    I want to download content to my Apple TV and decide later what device to watch it on (tv, projector or ipad).



    I want a video input on an ipad - a simple mini hdmi in would suffice if wifi is out the window.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post


    I want two things:



    I want to download content to my Apple TV and decide later what device to watch it on (tv, projector or ipad).



    I want a video input on an ipad - a simple mini hdmi in would suffice if wifi is out the window.



    Neither of which will happen, though the first has at least a chance of happening in the future.
  • rickybillrickybill Posts: 15member
    Compared to many, I'm a novice with Apple. I've got the iPads and iPhones but no TV yet. I find this entire discussion to be very interesting. Also of note, I find it incredible that just 4-5 days ago MS gave everyone a sneek preview of Win8 and nobody cares. Everyone is more interested in tomorrow and you really have to search to find information about the MS release.



    Apple clearly stands alone at this time. Stay thirsty my friend...
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So we can safely assume that the Apple TV HD will have 1080p... finally. Technologically it's well overdue for an HEC appliance, but why is it so overdue?



    I hypothesis that it's because Apple didn't have 1080p deals for content. Sure, they could have not worried about that but we're talking about Apple here, not Google or Dell. If they released a 1080p Apple TV that had no iTS access to 1080p the bitching and complaining would be high... especially from those that would never buy video from the iTS (you know who you are!).



    So if I'm correct and Apple announced 1080p content how much of their content will it be.Will it be $1 more than 720p? Will they drop SD and do 1080p at 720p prices? Will they have three difference resolutions or dropping 720p? Will it be a weak 1080p like on YouTube and other streaming video sites that are less Kbps than Apple's 720p or they will they go to something between that and Blu-ray, like 8-10Mbps?
  • gordygordy Posts: 931member
    I'm glad I held off on buying that 3rd AppleTV. Video mirroring from my Mac via Mountain Lion in 1080p will be awesome.
  • dunksdunks Posts: 1,168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Well done on being wrong.



    Well I did predict Apple would quadruple the pixel count on their mobile displays to simplify backwards compatibility months before anyone saw the iPhone 4 or apple coined the term "retina display". They can't all be winners.
  • stourquestourque Posts: 348member
    I want my Apple Tv to replace my cable box, not sit beside it. They could add a tab for cable Tv and have the channel guide with Apple's interface. They could even offer it up to the cable companies to rent out like the boxes they rent now. I see this as the brains of any TV offering. The TV itself is just a monitor.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post


    I want my Apple Tv to replace my cable box, not sit beside it. They could add a tab for cable Tv and have the channel guide with Apple's interface. They could even offer it up to the cable companies to rent out like the boxes they rent now. I see this as the brains of any TV offering. The TV itself is just a monitor.



    It's a great idea but the cable cos don't want to lose control. It's been reported that Apple has gone down this road and kept getting the door shut in their faces. Being too successful at what you do can be a hurdle, too.
  • f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 223member
    I could see the Apple TV providing content to devices, much the way a Slingbox unit does. If Apple really goes with their a la carte programming, an updated Apple TV allowing you to access your programming anywhere you are in wifi/3G/4G coverage would be awesome.



    I won't hold my breath for that, but it would be a great addition. In any case, I'll probably get a new Apple TV for my 1080p living room tv, and move the 720p Apple TV to my man cave.
Sign In or Register to comment.