Apple to reportedly double 'iPad 3' RAM to 1GB

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

thanks for the link to the paper.

LTE uses OFDM while 3G uses WCDMA. at higher bit rate, i would guess that LTE would consume more power.

instead of using 2 radios, QUALCOMM combines them into 1 radio?

The new Qualcomm chip actually integrates 6-radios into one: LTE FDD and LTE TDD, HSPA+/UMTS 3G, EVDO 3G, GSM, and CDMA.

LTE has more power-saving modes than 3G. If power-saving modes are not taken advantage of, LTE will consume more power than 3G. But proper power-management could see LTE with a slight advantage over, or at least on par with, 3G.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    That and the higher resolution display is all I need to upgrade. I don't care whether the CPU is dual or quad core.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Brainstorm: Could the incessant "iPad mini" screens actually be for... wait for it... Car stereos???

I'd kill for an apple car stereo that will AirPlay from the iPhone in my pocket without me having to noodle the phone. In fact, take the calls, too, and voice text.

The only challenge I imagine is the many different kinds of stereo internals in cars... If that's actually true. If it's not an issue, it's a slam dunk.

That certainly would put an end to Pioneer's App Radio.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'll bet you a $25 iTS card that LTE will be lower than the stated '3G' usage times.

I think a dual-core chip is possible, too. Do the dual lighting bars need to be used for all panel types of this density? There is talk of IGZO but I think AH-IPS is plausible.

Light bars are needed on LCD-based panels. AMOLED does not need lighting bars. However, OLED is power-hungry in exactly the use-case that Apple wants most. From wikipedia:

"OLED display consumes 3 watts while showing black text on a white background, but only 0.7 watts showing white text on a black background."

Because many people are viewing web pages, mail, documents, etc. that are 90% dark text on a white background, the power profile of OLED is terrible. So when people complain that Apple isn't using OLED for any other reason than power, they don't know what they're talking about.

Apple is waiting for OLEDs to mature enough to bring down the power-consumption. Until then, I doubt you'll see OLED in Apple's products.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

LTE Chip is built-in to the 3G chip. There is plenty of room for expanded battery tech.

Right, but the chip itself is bigger.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I hope it has more memory. My original iPad crashes all of the time now in Safari after the latest update. It appears to be running out of RAM and IT IS VERY ANNOYING....

How do you know it's running out of RAM?
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ewe can hear it begin to bleat.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Ok, that's good.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

(golf clap)
  • Reply 30 of 45
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    About time. The RAM was the one feature of the iPad that people had legitimate concerns about. Simply because it made the experience sort of sub optimal, by forcing Safari reloads.

Of course, this is a double edged sword. I hope Apple still keeps a tight rein on allowing minimal background functionality. With extra RAM, it is easy for developers to become complacent and put unneccessary features in the background! Very soon, even the extra RAM won't be enough.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The new iPad is not even out yet and CNET is already disappointed. and the comments are hilarious. how is it that an inferior tablet can outsell it's more worthy competitors by so much? I guess all of us who purchase iPads are dumb fools sucked in by Apple's slick marketing? /s

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...p-them-at-bay/
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The new iPad is not even out yet and CNET is already disappointed. and the comments are hilarious. how is it that an inferior tablet can outsell it's more worthy competitors by so much? I guess all of us who purchase iPads are dumb fools sucked in by Apple's slick marketing? /s

Roger Cheng is an executive editor in charge of east coast operations for CNET News. Prior to this, he was on the telecommunications beat and wrote for Dow Jones Newswires and The Wall Street Journal for nearly a decade. He's a hard-core Trojan or did they mean HARD CORE TROLL and the spell checker changed it to TROJAN??? well I predict this guy will soon be FIRED like a donald chump apprentice..
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Apple to reportedly double 'iPad 3' RAM

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the "iPad 3 Double stuff!!!"
  • Reply 34 of 45
    The new iPad needs more ram for the simple fact the graphics resolution will be so much more higher. I think it's simple as that. For me I would like to see 2gb of ram with the proposed resolution of the new display.

Not going to happen though
  • Reply 35 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Twice the ram will enable more powerful apps. It will encroach on the PC even further. I wonder if Office for iPad or a new Adobe app will be part of the keynote?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Just before last year's iPad 2 launch, my employer's IT director sent out a 'tablet review'. He briefly listed his pros and cons for the iPad/iPad 2, Playbook, Touchpad, and a Windows tablet. Only the iPads had hit the market yet, and in his wrap-up he placed them at the bottom of his top 5, saying since they were Apple products, they didn't work well with our system and their specs were too low compared to the competition.

A year later, not only has he moved to an iPhone for his personal and work phone, we're switching from Blackberrys to iPhones as corporate phones company wide, and all presentations and sales memos are now formatted to take advantage of the iPad. So much for Apple products not working well with our system.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you have a jailbroken ipad, you check how much memory you have in sbsettings.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Cnet is no better than 98% of the other mindless tech authors out there. They never understood the concept of usability or anything but simply looking at the specs. It's easy to look at specs and claim that one device is better than another. Actually using the device to see how it works requires some brains and experience - which seems sorely lacking.

Furthermore, there's a built in bias against Apple products. Read the Kindle review. If they had said it was OK for a cheap, entry level product, that would have been one thing. But the review makes it actually sound competitive.

My favorite which shows the level of intelligence of this author is:

Quote:

The Prime uses Nvidia's quad-core processor, which on paper means two more cores than the iPad's dual-core chip

Why the qualifier? Is 4 not more than 2 in real life, too?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Might have better luck with this here: "Is anyone else worried about the extra power draw of the RAM, too?"

Between potential quad-core, LTE, and the doubling of RAM, will we have any battery life left?

I think you're going to be surprised.

First, the extra RAM won't have much impact. An extra 512 MB of on-chip RAM doesn't use that much power and it is partly ameliorated by the need to pull things in from Flash storage or from the cloud. It could be a wash.

Even if it has quad core, that will only have a minor impact since they may have moved to a newer process technology.

LTE shouldn't have much impact if they're using the newest chips.

And the extra thickness means that there's more room for a larger battery.

While it's possible that the battery life might be reduced slightly, I doubt if it will be much, if any.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Cnet is no better than 98% of the other mindless tech authors out there. They never understood the concept of usability or anything but simply looking at the specs. It's easy to look at specs and claim that one device is better than another. Actually using the device to see how it works requires some brains and experience - which seems sorely lacking.

Furthermore, there's a built in bias against Apple products. Read the Kindle review. If they had said it was OK for a cheap, entry level product, that would have been one thing. But the review makes it actually sound competitive.

My favorite which shows the level of intelligence of this author is:

Why the qualifier? Is 4 not more than 2 in real life, too?

that's how I always looks at reviews which trash apple based on spec sheets. On paper this stuff looks like it should be better. Yet if it really was better wouldn't these comapnies be selling more of their product than Apple is? I mean if Apple really is selling an inferior product at a premium wouldn't people have figured it out by now and gone somewhere else?
  • Reply 40 of 45
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austingaijin View Post

Doubling the RAM won't have an impact on power either, because it's likely a single chip regardless, and probably at a higher density (nm) than the iPad2 memory.

Quad-core and the new screen (which requires dual lighting bars) are the only things that might really impact power consumption. However, as is rumored, I would expect an enhanced dual-core rather than a quad-core in the iPad3. The slightly thicker case of the iPad3 can probably be attributed to the new camera assembly, but I would expect Apple to make lemonade out of lemons and use the extra space for a slightly bigger battery.

I agree with everything you've just said.