Faked photo attempts to show Retina Display for third-gen iPad [updated]

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Hours before Apple is expected to unveil its third-generation iPad, an alleged leaked photo appeared online attempting to confirm the inclusion of an ultra-high-resolution Retina Display on the device, but it was later debunked as fake [updated].

Razorian Fly published the image early Wednesday, noting that an anonymous source had left it in the publication's "tip box" overnight. The tipster reportedly claimed that it showed a Retina Display-equipped iPad.

Update: But hours later, the site updated its original story to declare the image fake. It was sent to a number of websites overnight in an attempt to garner attention. AppleInsider was unable to confirm the authenticity of the image, and has included it here for the sake of discussion.

A bevy of reports have suggested that Apple will double the linear resolution of the iPad to 2,048 x 1,536 pixels, giving it a pixel density of 264 pixels per inch. Most recently, server logs have suggested that devices with that resolution have been accessing popular technology websites while also coinciding with visits from possible prototype iPads on Apple's Cupertino, Calif., corporate campus. The iPads appeared to be running iOS 6 with an newer build of WebKit.

It is unclear at this point whether Apple would elect to use the "Retina Display" marketing term for a double-resolution iPad display since the resulting pixel density would be less than that of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Apple could, however, justify its use by arguing that the iPad is meant to be held farther away from the eye than its handset. Some reports have also claimed that Apple could choose to name its new tablet the iPad HD.

AppleInsider reported that the third-generation iPad would have a Retina Display as early as last February. Apple had reportedly expressed interest in using the double-resolution display in the iPad 2 last year, but it was unable to secure sufficient production volume and low enough costs to implement it and decided to push it to the third generation.

Apple will hold its much-anticipated media event at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 a.m. Eastern on Wednesday. The company is widely expected to unveil an update to its Apple TV set-top box alongside a third-generation iPad. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Also, the fact that the iPad on the invitation was 4x bigger than normal was a pretty big hint.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    OMG it is beautiful.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Surprise... Surprise...
  • Reply 4 of 34
    1) If this was an actual "Retina Display" on an iPad, technically you wouldn't be able to see it on the picture if the screen you're viewing the picture on is a non-Retina screen.

2) This could just be an iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Also, the fact that the iPad on the invitation was 4x bigger than normal was a pretty big hint.

What exactly do you mean by that? It isn't 4x bigger. It's just a picture of an iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    exscapeexscape Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthnicklas View Post

1) If this was an actual "Retina Display" on an iPad, technically you wouldn't be able to see it on the picture if the screen you're viewing the picture on is a non-Retina screen.

Unless the image shows a zoomed-in portion of the iPad display, which... they do!
  • Reply 7 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

What exactly do you mean by that? It isn't 4x bigger. It's just a picture of an iPad.

Look at the size of the finger compared to the Calendar icon.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:

See, you can't even distinguish the pixels on an iPad 2 screen

Yes you can... and it looks horrible.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    ondreondre Posts: 1member
    1 AM Eastern? Aw man..
  • Reply 10 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Holy shit!

They're releasing another iPad???
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Hey I can not wait until this bad boy (iPad HD) is finally out. Its a bit sad that my iPad 2 is so OLD and i just got it about 6/7 months ago. WOW that sucks for ME. Its 10am WEST and 1pm EAST not 1am...i know i know but i did not see any one post this so i will be the first 1..pm Later.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    you beat me to it....with that post of 1am instead of 1pm... Ahhh!!
  • Reply 13 of 34
    I will definitely get if it has a quadcore CPU, 8 megapixels,and LTE.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yes you can... and it looks horrible.

It looks like not having 20:10 vision is going to save me £450 cos to me, my iPad 2 screen looks quite nice actually.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    rumornorumorno Posts: 1member
    Fake, no reflection in the dock icons.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    donvreugdonvreug Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Look at the size of the finger compared to the Calendar icon.

Perhaps the finger model is a petite woman or child?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ondre View Post

1 AM Eastern? Aw man..

Over where I live it actually does start at 3:00am. Every year it gets increasingly difficult to actually be awake for the announcements. Oh how I yearn to be 20 again...
  • Reply 18 of 34
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RumorNo View Post

Fake, no reflection in the dock icons.

Well spotted
  • Reply 19 of 34
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    This is why Apple's secrecy practice works so well for them with each product release...it's free advertising at it's best. Apple's official ad campaign is to keep their image but stuff like this is what gets into everyone's head.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company is widely expected to unveil an update to its Apple TV set-top box alongside a third-generation iPad.

No, it isn't. I don't expect that at all. I see the iPad, that's it. Thinking we'll actually get an update to the Apple TV is way too wishful.