Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 121 of 445
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    When the 2012 iPad gets replaced by a newer one in 2013, what are they going to call the 2012 model? They can't refer to it as "the new iPad" anymore.
  • Reply 122 of 445
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    This is the "new iPad". I'm beginning to think that Apple will forgo any naming/numbering designation on the iPad going forward.

Maybe Apple has established that this will be the form factor for a few years and they'll just keep adding features.

(I think they got tired of hearing Tallest Skill's naming arguments. j/k)
  • Reply 123 of 445
    mgsarchmgsarch Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Because they know people would end up just buying the base model and expanding the storage space on their own.

Also, maybe there's some proprietary file system they don't want microSD cards to be capable of...

lololol, I love how this guy just makes stuff up. Propietary file systems. rofl. When you have no idea what you're talking about, you should be reading, not writing.
  • Reply 124 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Yep memory is still at 512mb. Confirmed again by the Apple guys in the lobby. I think we should wait for confirmation though I can't believe Apple would only put 512mb in here. Then again I was surprised to here 512mb for the iPad 2.
  • Reply 125 of 445
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:

What sort of horrible accident left your brain this damaged?

3D isn't a gimmick. The studios are investing highly in it. 3D blu rays are selling well, and so are the displays. Nintendo even has a glasses-less 3D device, something Apple could easily do given this device is focused on a single person holding it just like the Nintendo device.

What the hell are you gonna say next year if Apple introduces the iPad 3D?

3D can only be done two ways:

Parallax buffer - Which requires doubling the linear resolution (eg 2048 to 4096), glasses-free. This is what the Nintendo 3DS does. In theory Apple could put that filter into the HD display and get a half resolution 3D effect. But only in landscape mode.

Frame rate doubled - Which requires 3D glasses to show each frame to separate eyes. This is the cheaper way of doing it, but people don't like 3D glasses. It can be done as shutters, polarizing or other effects.

This is why it's a gimmick, is that it can't be done well. Apple won't put that tech into the iPhone or iPad until it can be done without 3D glasses, which means that a substantial leap in LCD panel technology is needed.

It's also currently a chicken and egg problem, there is almost no 3D consumer production equipment. There are a few first-generation 3D consumer video cameras, but right now they produce terrible 3D, just like half the 3D films out there. 3D isn't being done right now unless it's a 3D animated film. If you play around with the Nintendo store, there is like exactly one 3D film in the store. "The night of the living carrots" (A Aliens versus Monsters Halloween special) and "The Pig who cried Werewolf" (A Shrek Halloween special") for 2.00 each. If you watch these on netflix you'll notice these are part of the same movie.

So, no content, no reason.
  • Reply 126 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

(I think they got tired of hearing Tallest Skill's naming arguments. j/k)

I, for one, think they're simply taking my side to end the argument once and for all. No one wants a 6th gen iPhone named 'iPhone 5'. That's just idiocy.

And if you're gonna hide text on this site, truly HIDE the text!
  • Reply 127 of 445
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

No flash on the camera.

No, It's already been established that the iPad will never have Flash.
  • Reply 128 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If I misinterpreted your comment (I note that I didn't), please rectify my error.

Okay. That's what I asked for. It's not a big production number here.

Quote me, or don't. Don't half quote me to try to distort my point. You cropped it to try to try to portray that I was complaining or if it wasn't good enough so you asking a deflecting question about the competition (of which I don't really care about anyway..) Many of us were curious HOW they were going to match battery life of last year's model.
  • Reply 129 of 445
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Remember, that's twice the resolution, four times the pixels. Say it with me now!

Onomatopoeia -- Big Fucker... oomph!
  • Reply 130 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

lololol, I love how this guy just makes stuff up. Propietary file systems. rofl. When you have no idea what you're talking about, you should be reading, not writing.

Then why doesn't the iPad have a miniSD or a proper filemanger that doesn't require me to connect to an external computer if I want to simply add a folder.
  • Reply 131 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

You cropped it to try to try to portray that I was complaining or if it wasn't good enough

Nope. I cropped it because what you said in the quote was EXACTLY that, and I didn't need to quote the rest.
  • Reply 132 of 445
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Interesting, since none of these features were ever even being speculated about in the rumor mill.

The guy's trolling, it would seem..... ignore him.
  • Reply 133 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Interesting, since none of these features were ever even being speculated about in the rumor mill.

umm, besides my own far out expectation of the bezel, THEY WERE ALL IN THE RUMOR MILL
  • Reply 134 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The guy's trolling, it would seem..... ignore him.

Yeah, plug your ears and ignore someone who's not even really trolling, just commenting in passing of what they were hoping to see, and still admitting the iPad 3 is a great tablet.

IGNORE THEM!

what a complete buffoon
  • Reply 135 of 445
    The camera on the iPhone 4s is really nice so does the iPad 3 have exactly the same optics?
  • Reply 136 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Then why doesn't the iPad have a miniSD or a proper filemanger that doesn't require me to connect to an external computer if I want to simply add a folder.

Because Apple wants to avoid viruses, malware, and such? I.e., what goes into an iPad is curated via software that Apple had developed?
  • Reply 137 of 445
    thehectathehecta Posts: 77member
    Has anyone had any success getting to Apple's online store?
  • Reply 138 of 445
    Quote:

umm, besides my own far out expectation of the bezel, THEY WERE ALL IN THE RUMOR MILL

Oh man I hope somebody comes out with a no bezel full screen tablet soon because I would be all over that just for the coolness factor alone.
  • Reply 139 of 445
    Quote:

Nope. I cropped it because what you said in the quote was EXACTLY that, and I didn't need to quote the rest.

Was EXACTLY what? That LTE battery life sucks? It does. Next?
  • Reply 140 of 445
    Quote:

Yeah, plug your ears and ignore someone who's not even really trolling, just commenting in passing of what they were hoping to see, and still admitting the iPad 3 is a great tablet.

IGNORE THEM!

what a complete buffoon

From the various responses that your posts have engendered, there is only one buffoon I can see here.