Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 141 of 445
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Until they have a holographic display, 3D is just a gimmick. Have you played with the Nintendo? It's a piece of crap and it's not selling well.

Well, no I haven't, but I still don't think 3D is a gimmick. The studios definitely are getting behind it.

I mean games like nintendo's is what I was talking about. Nintendo's technology applied to movies is impossible, so glasses would still be required with movies.

But again, a single person watching at a single viewing angle is ideal for 3D. I don't think 3D on tablets is that far off, and may even deliver a better experience than with televisions. I mean heck, the resolution is high enough on this thing that it would look amazing. It's the refresh rate that would be a necessity.
  • Reply 142 of 445
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

Oh man I hope somebody comes out with a no bezel full screen tablet soon because I would be all over that just for the coolness factor alone.

How are you going to hold it when you use it?
  • Reply 143 of 445
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

Has anyone had any success getting to Apple's online store?

Still says "back soon", as of a minute ago.
  • Reply 143 of 445
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Wrong.

You have to use some sort of qualifier if you only mean "one dimension". For example, the display has a vertical resolution of 1536 pixels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

-kpluck

Not wrong at all. Resolution is routinely expressed in one or two dimensions. To be non-ambiguous though, either way requires more than just numeric characters.

Ironically, other people here were arguing that "resolution" can only refer to density per area. That just goes to show that language can be imprecise and that it is pointless to try and deny that words are used in multiple ways.
  • Reply 145 of 445
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE is rated for 12hrs and most tests put it at about 8. :shrug:

But not according to this review...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...laxy-tab_n.htm
  • Reply 146 of 445
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How are you going to hold it when you use it?

What??!! You think he's going to buy the one without levitation included!?
  • Reply 147 of 445
    Quote:

From the various responses that your posts have engendered, there is only one buffoon I can see here.

Yeah. YOU. LOL

Nothing I've said has been trollish. I'm a guy who said the iPad 3 is great, but there were some features (that I saw from the rumor mill to begin with) I was hoping for.

What's the problem?

You people are so damn sensitive, and so quick to call someone a troll, you come off as completely disingenuous. I mean for God's sake, we're talking about a tablet here. This isn't some intense topic that has an impact on any of our lives, like politics or something.

Seriously, grow up and stop calling everyone who has the slightest difference in point of view a troll. Learn to address what people say instead of mentally escaping with that.
  • Reply 148 of 445
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Because Apple wants to avoid viruses, malware, and such? I.e., what goes into an iPad is curated via software that Apple had developed?

Aaah, okay that makes sense, so Apple is saying what is and isn't good for us. Even though I have never had a malware or virus in the last ten years of owning Apple products. Pretty lame Apple!
  • Reply 149 of 445
    I will pass and save my money for iPhone5.
  • Reply 150 of 445
    Quote:

Until they have a holographic display, 3D is just a gimmick. Have you played with the Nintendo? It's a piece of crap and it's not selling well.

The 3DS is crap and not selling well, eh? I've got a bridge for sale!
  • Reply 151 of 445
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You really believe 3D adds enough to the movie going experience that justifies the studios charging extra for it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well, no I haven't, but I still don't think 3D is a gimmick. The studios definitely are getting behind it.

• Reply 152 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So no iPad 3 or iPad HD, just "the new iPad." I like that just calling it iPad. I hope they start doing that with the iPhone, too.

DId anyone guess "Resolutionary" as the tag line?
  • Reply 153 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You really believe 3D adds enough to the movie going experience that justifies the studios charging extra for it?

Nope if anything I need to give them a bill after my kid got so sick he pucked on me. Damn Lion King in 3D.
  • Reply 154 of 445
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

A lower price isn't a far off out of this world idea. These things are pretty pricey for the actual use you get out of them.

I think you missed basic economics class. When a company cannot keep a product on store shelves, their is little reason why they need to lower the price. Especially if they keep improving the functionality of the product.

Quote:

3D - it's the future, it's here, it's not implausible that a tablet be 3D. If anything, it's MORE plausible given that a single person tends to watch movies on these things, and it's far easier to deliver a rich 3D experience when one viewing angle is considered.

This is just dumb.
  • Reply 155 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

The guy's trolling, it would seem..... ignore him.

Unlike someone who shall remain nameless Chronster didn't state his wishes as demands or claim Apple was doomed or such nonsense. I don't think his requests are sound, especially when taken all at once, but he's certainly not trolling.
  • Reply 156 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

lololol, I love how this guy just makes stuff up. Propietary file systems. rofl. When you have no idea what you're talking about, you should be reading, not writing.

It was speculation since I simply never heard of anyone formatting a microSD card using HFSX.

You didn't even address the initial point, which was most likely the correct one. Oh and hey aren't you the one who said my expectations, which all stemmed from the rumor mill, never actually existed in the rumor mill?

Talk about being an asshole.
  • Reply 157 of 445
    I was really looking forward to a holographic display oh well maybe next year.
  • Reply 158 of 445
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsismx View Post

it's not the same. The ipad has 50% more pixels than those resolutions to push. That's takes a toll on a strong of components that can affect the ux.

1920*1200 = 2304000

ipad = 3145728

36%
  • Reply 159 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

The camera on the iPhone 4s is really nice so does the iPad 3 have exactly the same optics?

I hope it's the same lens, at least. It's obviously not the same sensor. I'd imagine it'd be cheaper to have the same optics between the two.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Was EXACTLY what? That LTE battery life sucks? It does. Next?

And now we return to my original question, "Are there other devices that allow for 9 hours of LTE?" And since you've given none, your point is clear. Next, indeed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by veloboldie View Post

I will pass and save my money for iPhone5.

1. It will be called 'iPhone'. No number. THANK YOU, Apple.

2. Come off it. Stock drops after every keynote ever. This is a phenomenal update, better than most were expecting. It will sell 50 million devices.
  • Reply 160 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think you missed basic economics class. When a company cannot keep a product on store shelves, their is little reason why they need to lower the price. Especially if they keep improving the functionality of the product.

This is just dumb.

Last time I checked, I can have an ipad pretty much any place they sell it. What do you mean they can't keep it on store shelves? Where do you live that you have this problem? Come to northern VA, they're everywhere.

"This is just dumb." is a dumb retort. At least give me something to go on rather than your opinion of what's dumb and what isn't. The studios getting behind 3D, that's dumb? The tablet having a single person viewing and a single viewing angle, and now a high resolution, making the potential 3D experience better than that of a TV, that's dumb? Again, what is wrong with you?