Apple releases iOS 5.1 with lock screen camera access, PhotoStream pic delete option

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

iOS 5.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is now available for download, and features new quick lock screen access the camera application, as well as the ability to delete individual pictures that have been synced to PhotoStream.

In addition, iOS 5.1 features Japanese language support for Siri, though Apple has warned that availability may be limited during the initial roll-out. The update can be downloaded through the "Software Update" option found in the Settings application on an iOS device with iOS 5 or later.

The update has a number of changes to the camera application, with face detection now highlighting all detected faces in a frame. The camera app for iPad has also been given a redesign.

The full list of features in iOS 5.1, according to Apple, are:

Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)

Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream

Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)

Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces

Redesigned Camera app for iPad

Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers

Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer

Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad

Updated AT&T network indicator

Addresses bugs affecting battery life

Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    YES. Now I can finally turn PhotoStream back on.

And the Music app is actually fixed, so that's good.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Love it
  • Reply 3 of 47
    jamesmcdjamesmcd Posts: 68member
    No update for me yet. Sad.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    psyrixxpsyrixx Posts: 1member
    Just upgraded to iOS 5.1 and the service icon on my iphone 4S says 4G. Bug?
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psyrixx View Post

No. AT&T calls its HSDPA+ "4G", even though it isn't. Lawsuit time? Yep. Lawsuit for AT&T? Yep.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psyrixx View Post

I think that is the updated AT&T network indicator listed in the update. AT&T wanted Apple to change the 3G indicator to 4G for customers that have access to HSPA+.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Thank goodness. Now I can actually use PhotoStream.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

what was changed on the music app? couldn't find it (hope it's a fix to the random drop-outs and stalls with match).
  • Reply 9 of 47
    kjkelleykjkelley Posts: 16member
    I hope that iOS 5.1 will fix the memory useage problems that have rendered the iPad1 completely useless, if you are running iOS 5.0?

In the last few weeks, my iPad1 has become virtually unuseable with iOS 5.0; mostly with Safari, but really all apps in general. Not sure if a class action lawsuit will be necessary here.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    dgg32dgg32 Posts: 10member
    I tried to update in "General" - "Software update", however, after the download and the countdown "is going to install in 10 seconds", it threw me an error:

"the update process encountered an error"

Anybody any idea?
  • Reply 11 of 47
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    No update here yet... anyone getting it yet?
  • Reply 12 of 47
    wisdomseedwisdomseed Posts: 141member
    Quote:

And how!! It will be great to be able to delete pics from photo stream. Apple brings Photo Stream to the city!
  • Reply 13 of 47
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

No. AT&T calls its HSDPA+ "4G", even though it isn't. Lawsuit time? Yep. Lawsuit for AT&T? Yep.

A lawsuit? Over what exactly?
  • Reply 14 of 47
    calexbcalexb Posts: 1member
    STILL no support for Siri location services in Canada!?! Really Apple?? Extremely disappointing.... And if you don't know how useless Siri becomes without it try coming to Canada.

• Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

A lawsuit? Over what exactly?

They're claiming 4G with no speed increases. People HERE are even questioning whether the iPhone 4S has LTE built in, much less among the common folk. AT&T pitches ONLY their "4G LTE" anymore. I KNEW they dug themselves a rut when they started lying and calling HSDPA+ "4G".

Mark my words.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    sounds good but......Photostream delete only seems to delete from the local device - it is not reflected in photos tram in the cloud.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

sounds good but......Photostream delete only seems to delete from the local device - it is not reflected in photos tram in the cloud.

I was about to ask that...I can see how that's a good thing though to people who don't have shared PCs...

my friend (a girl...a hot girl) was hesitant on photostream because while she wants her lil sexy pics to be synced back home she doesn't want them to stay on her iPhone...now with iOS 5.1 she can get both...
  • Reply 18 of 47
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

They're claiming 4G with no speed increases. People HERE are even questioning whether the iPhone 4S has LTE built in, much less among the common folk. AT&T pitches ONLY their "4G LTE" anymore. I KNEW they dug themselves a rut when they started lying and calling HSDPA+ "4G".

Mark my words.

But technically, HDSPA+ is considered 4G per the new definitions. Apple also isn't marketing the iPhone 4S as 4G. It's a status indicator, which is based on the teleco, not the speed.

If this was happening in Britain, maybe. But not the U.S. At least, as far as government or regulatory agencies are concerned. People sue people over peanuts, so no doubt there will be some frivolous lawsuit or class-action lawsuit claiming how Apple "harmed" them with their status icon.

FYI, in a suburb of a major metropolitan city, I get almost identical speeds on my 4S as on my Verizon 4G LTE MiFi hotspot.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

But technically, HDSPA+ is considered 4G per the new definitions. Apple also isn't marketing the iPhone 4S as 4G. It's a status indicator, which is based on the teleco, not the speed.

If this was happening in Britain, maybe. But not the U.S. At least, as far as government or regulatory agencies are concerned. People sue people over peanuts, so no doubt there will be some frivolous lawsuit or class-action lawsuit claiming how Apple "harmed" them with their status icon.

FYI, in a suburb of a major metropolitan city, I get almost identical speeds on my 4S as on my Verizon 4G LTE MiFi hotspot.

My T-mobile HSPA+ is often as fast as LTE is here, especially at peak hours (NYC)

Granted I do not respect T-mobile's and now AT&Ts rebranding of 3.75G as 4G etc but it's whatever...it's annoying for the technically inclined but it's not illegal so it's nothing worth an issue.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    calimedcalimed Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Depends if you took the pic with your iPhone/iPad after the update I think. I just took a pic on my iPhone and then deleted it and it said that it would be removed on ALL devices as opposed to the local device.