Apple Store begins taking new iPad WiFi and 4G orders for March 16 delivery

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

My question is will we still be able to grandfather in our AT&T unlimited accounts like we could with the iPad 2?

I'll give you a hint. Buy the new model and get the LTE sim card if you don't already have one. When you get it, call into AT&T and have them replace the sim card number with the new one. Don't explain why.

I'm not sure if AT&T still uses that godawful S***** software or have moved on to whatever Cingular was using, but the system should just blindly accept replacing the sim card if you don't change anything else. Just make sure you don't get a newhire who has been trained to upsell you. You don't need to tell them you're replacing the device.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

keep trying couple of times, if HTTP 1.1 timeout messages come out, wait a bit longer. soon you would get in. it is much better than iphone4 pre-order.

That wasn't my experience. With the iPhone, it took a bunch of tries to get through, but when I got through, I got through. The cart didn't pull this b.s. about losing data. There's no excuse for that.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I was able to order mine without much hassle once the site was up. It delivers 3/16.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    After many reloads, I finally got through to buying about an hour ago -- but then work interrupted it.

Tried again about 25 minutes ago, server was down a few times, oopses, etc, but finally managed to purchase a 16 GB 4G model. I'm diligent about rotating my content frequently, and don't really plan to shoot a lot of HD video, so the cost of the extra storage space isn't worth it for me (especially given the huge markup on it).

But yeah, not a great experience having to reload over and over again...
  • Reply 25 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Any Phone. 3GB. $30.

iPad. 2GB. $30.

Die in a fire, telecoms.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Took me forever... but I got my basic white ipad and smart cover... took me a long time to decide on the 4G thing... by the time I had decided the whole thing froze... had to restart... took an hour... Jesus I feel like a freak.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Whew. Just got through it. Several hours of clicking through Apple's packed, glitched-out site. Really glad that's over with.

Never going to apple.com again. (Until next iPhone.)
  • Reply 28 of 67
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member
    Got 2 of them... 16GB Black... 499 each, seriously, what a great price for these beautiful devices...!! Ships on the 16th... any chance we can get them a day or two early like some people did with phones..?? great day...!!!!
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Die in a fire, telecoms.

I've railed on cellular service providers for years. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they run all the scam SIM unlocking companies out there too. The whole cellular industry is a festering pile of worms IMO.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Same experience as many here: finally ordered a 64GB ATT White iPad and AppleTV. Took a couple of hours. Slow. Buggy. Too many steps. Ridiculously painful. Looks like this is now a given, with every new product intro.

Apple really needs to figure out a way to make this better in the future. The process, as it works now, is quite pathetic (considering the number of times it's happened before and one would think Apple would learn from).

• Reply 31 of 67
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Sorry, but that's to be expected when you order within hours after the keynote. It is frustrating but with some patience and perseverance I was able to order mine at 4:11 pm EST. Keep trying. It should calm down in a few hours.

Not really. I always pre-order and always do it right after the announcement or on the first day/minute it is available.

It's always slow, but this time is significantly different (at least for me) in several ways.

1) Never been routed to the wrong country store before

2) Never had an "Oops!" page before (usually just glacial refreshes on the standard pages).

3) Never been dropped at the last page without feedback before.

Right now I'm staring at the last page of the process (and have been for 2 hours), with a giant green "Continue" button sitting there. When I click it, it turns a darker colour but absolutely nothing else happens except after about four minutes it turns back to lighter green and accepts clicks again. The browser window doesn't refresh, there are no indications of anything at all.

I would prefer a "too bad loser come back later" to this. Having no feedback is the worst and a situation no customer should be left in. It's better to give them *any* information than to give them none at all.

I've tried backing out and going through the whole process again (several times) and it's the same every time. They should really have something in the system that simply says "we're busy right now, try again."

Right now, I don't know if I'm going to get a bill for 1,000 iPads tomorrow morning or if I won't be able to order at all. Plus everyone knows that if you don't order within the first three hours or so you are likely to not get one for six weeks.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not really. I always pre-order and always do it right after the announcement or on the first day/minute it is available.

It's always slow, but this time is significantly different (at least for me) in several ways.

1) Never been routed to the wrong country store before

2) Never had an "Oops!" page before (usually just glacial refreshes on the standard pages).

3) Never been dropped at the last page without feedback before.

Right now I'm staring at the last page of the process (and have been for 2 hours), with a giant green "Continue" button sitting there. When I click it, it turns a darker colour but absolutely nothing else happens except after about four minutes it turns back to lighter green and accepts clicks again. The browser window doesn't refresh, there are no indications of anything at all.

I would prefer a "too bad loser come back later" to this. Having no feedback is the worst and a situation no customer should be left in. It's better to give them *any* information than to give them none at all.

I've tried backing out and going through the whole process again (several times) and it's the same every time. They should really have something in the system that simply says "we're busy right now, try again."

Right now, I don't know if I'm going to get a bill for 1,000 iPads tomorrow morning or if I won't be able to order at all. Plus everyone knows that if you don't order within the first three hours or so you are likely to not get one for six weeks.

It was equally painful for me (I had to quit on an order where it told me I had 11 iPads, 8 covers and 9 AppleTVs! Had to start all over again). I finally ordered things (iPad, cover, AppleTV) as three seperate orders. Seemed to go through (slightly) faster.

Why can't Apple have a simple interface with all the f'in choices listed in one page, instead of the seven or eight picture- and text-laden pages one has to wade through (and another three or four during the check-out)? It's very primitive and frustrating.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ko024 View Post

Ships on the 16th...

Are you sure it said "ships"? Mine said "delivers".....
  • Reply 34 of 67
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    They need to have additional infrastructure in place so things can run smoothly. They know they are going to get a certain amount of traffic when they hold one of these events.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

The whole cellular industry is a festering pile of worms IMO.

Please don't insult festering worm piles.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Are you sure it said "ships"? Mine said "delivers".....

haha oh yeah... Big difference... yes, DELIVERS on the 16th...!!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 67
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Sweet. . . Now that we know about the actual shipping product we can call go back to ripping on the network providers. Wasn't a 2nd carrier supposed to solve it? Or was it the 3rd? Help us t-mobile!
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please don't insult festering worm piles.

At least worms are good for your soil and composting. Telcos on the other hand...
  • Reply 39 of 67
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    It is really frustrating that AT&T and Verizon LTE ipads are not interchangeable.

Which one to choose?
  • Reply 40 of 67
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

It is really frustrating that AT&T and Verizon LTE ipads are not interchangeable.

Which one to choose?

Which has better 2G and 3G service in the area it'll be most used?