Apple releases new software for existing iOS-based Apple TV users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    I wonder if this will fix the home sharing bug? Home sharing disconnects at random if the firewall is turned on.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

I wonder if this will fix the home sharing bug? Home sharing disconnects at random if the firewall is turned on.

Just got it and yes I updated iTunes beforehand. Good news is this time turning off home share then right back on in the AppleTV settings reconnected. In the past, I've had to VNC to my server and bounced Tunes.

I also noted they have a restart option in Settings.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I hope we can at least move those buttons around. In Canada, you can't buy anything from AppleTV so the entire top row (the only row available), is virtually useless to me. I don't like the idea of having to scroll down to get to even the basic functions I use (like Netflix).

I"m in Canada and I have the Rent Movies and Buy TV shows options available to me. I have seen Buy movies before, but the ones I just checked were all Rentals.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    ltcompuserltcompuser Posts: 219member
    Quote:

I hope we can at least move those buttons around. In Canada, you can't buy anything from AppleTV so the entire top row (the only row available), is virtually useless to me. I don't like the idea of having to scroll down to get to even the basic functions I use (like Netflix).

I was hoping to be able to disable buttons that weren't needed, but no such luck.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Jeez, you are angsty today.

Forgive me for believing the same thing that has been true for nearly every single product launch prior to this one. I don't know what I could possibly have been thinking. Except common sense based on history.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I feel like the new Apple TV interface is just taunting me with the promise of a dedicated App Store that should be there but isn?t.

But the iPad update is fantastic!
  • Reply 27 of 58
    scott rscott r Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Yes yes yes. The average person isn't sitting there thinking "should I watch an iTunes movie, or a Netflix movie", or "should I listen to my iTunes music, or the internet radio"; they're just thinking "I wanna watch a movie" or "I wanna listen to music". The interface should concatenate by types of entertainment (maybe throwing in "sports" and "news" as additional options with "movies" and "tv shows" and "music"), and then from there you can choose what you want and it doesn't matter if its streaming from Netflix or from your iCloud account or from iTunes, etc.

And with the old interface, I could at least go to "movies" or "tv shows" and then scroll down to, say, "search" or "top movies [tv shows]" without leaving the main menu -- i.e., I could be down in the "movies" menu, and then just right-click the wheel and move to the next menu. Don't see how that's going to work with the app-like icons; seems like one will have to go back up to the home screen each time before shunting over to another "app".

Yup. I really dislike this UI "update". Something tells me this whole redesign was done for the sole purpose of fooling new buyers into thinking the ATV has "apps". Yes, it did have some apps already, and this new update doesn't appear to add any new apps, but by turning categories into app icons, it now looks like there's a big app grid on the home screen.

Not only that, but I don't *WANT* to navigate an app grid on my TV. The app grid works OK on the iPhone since it's a touchscreen and I can instantly touch whatever icon I want, but on my TV with a remote, I've got to tap right-right-right-down-down to get to something. Meh.

All that said, if the jailbreakers and XBMC devs can get XBMC running well and give me 1080p output, I may still pick up a couple for the rooms in my house with 1080p displays.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I'm shocked that there's still no app store for AppleTV

I'm not. With AirPlay mirroring I get all my apps on my TV right now. Creating another class of apps with new UI requirements is redundant and backwards.

With video mirroring coming to mountain lion, and with it hopefully developer access, I think ATV use is poised to explode.

Especially with nintendo pushing as the new Wii what I can already do today...
  • Reply 29 of 58
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OK this UI is really bad. I can't believe Steve would approve of it. Apple needs to get some of the ID team magic over to the software side of the house.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OK this UI is really bad. I can't believe Steve would approve of it. Apple needs to get some of the ID team magic over to the software side of the house.

Steve was working on iTV.

Safari on iOS 5.1 and the new keyboard is awesome (keys are subtly different).
  • Reply 31 of 58
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Hideous, but functionally much better than the columns of the old interface. Why not use the iOS icons instead of these gaudy colored rectangles?

Only 10 of my 23 digital copies show up in "purchased". Looks like all movies from Fox and Universal are missing. And I must have misunderstood because I thought I heard my videos would be upgraded to 1080p? They're all still standard definition.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I"m in Canada and I have the Rent Movies and Buy TV shows options available to me. I have seen Buy movies before, but the ones I just checked were all Rentals.

As far as I am aware the Apple TV (2.0 version) doesn't allow you to buy movies or TV shows, just rent them. The original version allowed both.

You *can* buy movies and TV shows in iTunes on your computer (at outrageously high prices), and then stream them to the AppleTV, but that's not the same thing.

If you are not interested in renting (I am not, I consider it foolish at best), the entire top row of icons is useless to an AppleTV viewer (like me), with the exception of the "computers" button.

Other than that one button, the entire UI is useless to me until I start to scroll.

- next row, again only one button of use to me (Netflix)

- next row, only one button useful to me (Vimeo)

I actually like the move to a sort of app button interface, but without the ability to re-order the buttons and delete the ones we don't want, this UI means we will all be scrolling and scrolling and scrolling. Those of us with less than typical tastes like myself will have to scroll just to get to the *first* item of any use.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

As far as I am aware the Apple TV (2.0 version) doesn't allow you to buy movies or TV shows, just rent them. The original version allowed both.

You *can* buy movies and TV shows in iTunes on your computer (at outrageously high prices), and then stream them to the AppleTV, but that's not the same thing.

If you are not interested in renting (I am not, I consider it foolish at best), the entire top row of icons is useless to an AppleTV viewer (like me), with the exception of the "computers" button.

Other than that one button, the entire UI is useless to me until I start to scroll.

I actually like the move to a sort of app button interface, but without the ability to re-order the buttons and delete the ones we don't want, this UI means we will all be scrolling and scrolling and scrolling. Those of us with less than typical tastes like myself will have to scroll just to get to the *first* item of any use.

You probably spent more time typing that post than you'll waste in scrolling over the course of an entire year. Seriously, think about how frequently you scroll in every day usage of pretty much every software you've ever used. Now think about how often you'll need to use the main menu of an apple TV. You likely spent more time scrolling this page then you'll spend in months of usage with the apple TV.

Also note that a consistent UI is easier to support and is excellent at promoting a familiar platform for use by the masses. The road to interface hell is paved with customization.

This isn't to say that the new or old UI is great or even perfect. But the flaws aren't terribly cumbersome or time consuming when compared to the vast array of UIs out there today. In fact, despite the shortcomings, it is one of the best UIs available.

In other words, this arguably valid criticism should be tempered with a wider perspective of just how bad the flaws are. Supermodels get pimples all the time, but is that what we fixate on?
  • Reply 34 of 58
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Hideous, but functionally much better than the columns of the old interface. Why not use the iOS icons instead of these gaudy colored rectangles?

Oh the horror. Rectangles are so hideous compared to squares.

Has everyone lost their minds? Oh wait, this is the internet. Carry on.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    I don't really care for the new interface. Irritating. I'll probably buy the new ATV just for the 1080p though.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    I like the new interface. It's all just a matter of getting used to something different and new. I know a lot of people don't like change of any sort but this seems easier to get around to me. Wife and kids like it and have no problem getting around on it either.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Steve was working on iTV.

Safari on iOS 5.1 and the new keyboard is awesome (keys are subtly different).

good god I hope this UI is not part of an Apple TV. The only thing that might save us there is a Jony Ive designed TV. It just amazes me how Apple makes drop dead gorgeous drool worthy hardware, yet the software UI is so 'meh'. I hope iOS 6 is a complete redesign. It's about time.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:

In Canada, on an aTV 2, you can buy TV shows, TV season passes, and rent movies. I've purchased TV shows before on the aTV and just verified that you can still do so.

I did not see any way to buy movies though, only rent them.

Perhaps you don't have your iTunes details filled in, causing that options to not appear for you?
  • Reply 39 of 58
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scott R View Post

Something tells me this whole redesign was done for the sole purpose of fooling new buyers into thinking the ATV has "apps".

Actually, no, but you're close. Something tells me this whole redesign was done for the sole purpose of designing a UI that will easily work with apps. I'm more convinced than ever that apps are coming... eventually. I sure wish they could get past whatever the holdup is though.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Wow,

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that thinks this new UI is total "Sh*t" (in the immortal words of SJ).

Why not just make the buttons square? Apple's whole vision is to create a seamless UI from one device to the next. Look how iOS influenced OSx! Now you have "apps" on your Mac. It's obvious they wanted it to look like iOS, but what's the deal with the rectangles. I actually think the UI is even more awkward than before. If they going to make the UI look like the other iOS devices, they should match 1:1. Not this clunky rectangular "app"-looking icons. Even the way they presented it at the keynote was kind of awkward.

My only thought on all this is maybe since the Apple TV is still in "hobby" mode, they deliberately made it different so you know it's not like the other iOS devices. like it's in iOS limbo.

Issue #2: Really? The same crappy remote control? At least give us a click-wheel. Would make life a little bit easier, instead of this first Gen iPod Shuffle remote.

Issue #3: It's been said on this forum, but i want to 2nd the motion to drop the "computers" button. It makes no sense to make "music", "movies", "Podcasts" "TV shows" buttons when you can access all that from the iTunes store with one single button. They need to start coordinating with the iOS divisions more. Why not have just an iTunes button? Computers button makes no because it's misleading. you can only see one computer at a time. you have to log off and log back in with a different iTunes account. they needed to change this from day one.

They really should have done a quiet release on the website only. They didn't even mention the whole MacBook mirroring with Mountain Lion. To me, that's the #1 best new feature, and they said nothing about it.

The rest of my beefs revolve around what all the other negative reviews state.

I'd like to know if this update allows Apple TV2 users to experience 1080p as well???

Anyone know?