Apple teases there is 'a lot to look forward to' in 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

The end of the world is nothing to look forward to!!

If your bags are packed it is....
  • Reply 22 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Exactly. Thinking we'd get Retina Macs this year is a pipe dream at best.

Then my dreams are pipped. Things are looking good for a 13" and 15" 230-ish PPI Mac notebooks for 2012, IMO.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think last year they said something similar

Wasn't 2005 the year of HD? Looks like that is finally 2012 if my predictions about HiDPI Macs is correct.

Yeah, they say pretty much the same type of thing after every keynote, press conference, and analysts call. I can't believe AI made an entire article about it!
  • Reply 24 of 83
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by main1event View Post

Need a Mac Pro

I'm holding out hope for a Mac Pro this year, if there isn't one by Christmas, then I'm buying the MacMini when it gets a quadcore and desktop performance level of dedicated graphics. The iMac's do not, and will not interest me, because I see them as just batteryless laptops. If I want a laptop, I'll buy a laptop. I have room for a macmini (it can replace the first generation intel macmini.)

My optimistic guess is that the MacBook Pro's will get SSD options instead of spinning drives, they may also get the same screen resolution as the new iPad (early 2012) except in 16:10 ratio. Some minor performance bumps and all quad-core.

My pessimistic guess is that Apple decides to nix the MacPro entirely and Apple gets some huge backlash from the music, video and 3D content creators, and we then we stop seeing new content put on iTunes when the studios give Apple the middle finger. Remember that you need a mac to put anything on the iTunes store, that includes Video (which must be in the Final Cut Pro ProRes format.) It won't stop app developers since you can compile apps on the Macmini. But you're not going to get a studio to pipe their video to a superslow macmini just to put video on the iTunes store. No they'll outsource this to someone else who will just slap the default settings on, and you wind up with the kind of sloppy VOD that the cable companies are pushing.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Did anyone catch the rainbow Apple logo Tim threw up at the very end. Was he just trying that on for size? Hmm. Maybe a reminder to those struggling from hate that it doesn't matter if you're gay, you too can be CEO of the largest company in the world.

A stretch? Probably.

I know you're kidding, but you know that the Apple logo was rainbow since like 25 years ago, right?
  • Reply 26 of 83
    aaargh!aaargh! Posts: 20member
    Did anyone notice this in the keynote video ?

Tim is talking about the importance of retail stores " and in some ways it's even more important for a buyer of an iPad, or an iPhone ... or another Post-PC device". The hesitation there, I get the feeling he almost said something he shouldn't have.

Check it out, about 3:22 into the video.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    mauijoemauijoe Posts: 77member
    [Given that Apple has dropped the numbered naming system for the new iPad, pundits now anticipate that Apple will also adopt its simplified naming scheme for the iPhone as well, potentially calling a new handset just "iPhone."]

To me this makes sense for the iPad ( similar to MacBook and iMac ) but not for the iPhone, especially considering three different models are available.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Where have I seen something like that horizon logo before? Try here (scroll down to the grey box at the bottom).

Luckily the Australian Greens are neither litigious nor have deep pockets
  • Reply 29 of 83
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Remember that you need a mac to put anything on the iTunes store, that includes Video (which must be in the Final Cut Pro ProRes format.) It won't stop app developers since you can compile apps on the Macmini.

That's more the place where the DoJ should be Anti-Trust-ing. Compiling doesn't really require a Mac, Apple definitely could license the libraries for exclusive use into the AppStore on other platforms enjoying GCC/LLVM... but Video? That's imho really "Trust" behavior.

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    Just an update to the three year old iWork suite with proper iCloud integration would be enough for me ...
  • Reply 31 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I thought Tim's keynote was a bit dishonest. He failed to mention that iCloud movies was not all the studios, and he failed to mention that it was US-only. Steve was always very scrupulous about including those details.

And if every keynote he's going to give a history lesson, it's going to get a bit tiresome. I was so relieved when Phil came on stage, I thought "now we can get moving."

And Randy, the graphics guy, was great to watch, he went through so many mind-blowing features in quick succession as if they were nothing. As he walked off I thought "There goes a genius."
  • Reply 32 of 83
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    IPS displays with high-res and high pixel density "Retina" displays on a 15" MacBook Air please!

Even better: A "Retina"-like/type iMac and/or Cinema/Thunderbolt display. I'd buy all of the above on day one!
  • Reply 33 of 83
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    I think they coud use a slightly better "suspense-building" approach (a la Steve) in their future keynotes.

Start with something like "we love the iPad 2 so much that we're going to keep it! And guess what, since you love it so much, we're even going to lower its price!"

The audience sighs in disappointment, wondering "that's all!?"

Then comes The New iPad ......
  • Reply 34 of 83
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    This certainly is not big news, I mean what did you expect him to say "There really is not much happening this year"?
  • Reply 35 of 83
    swissmac2swissmac2 Posts: 216member
    Whatever the new stuff actually is, I really and most sincerely hope that Tim Cook doesn't do the presentation. He's dull, lifeless, unexciting, has no sense of style (I mean, an untucked not-quite black shirt!) and sounds like Bill Gates. Apple has some great presenters with enthusiasm and energy, but neither Tim nor Phil are one of them.

SJ did the presentations not because he was CEO but because he was good at them, enjoyed them, and made them into something a lot more than they were. He also launched things that really were revolutionary. Tim Cook is an excellent bean counter and back room boy for organising the company, but he isn't a motivator in any way.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aaargh! View Post

Did anyone notice this in the keynote video ?

Tim is talking about the importance of retail stores " and in some ways it's even more important for a buyer of an iPad, or an iPhone ... or another Post-PC device". The hesitation there, I get the feeling he almost said something he shouldn't have.

Check it out, about 3:22 into the video.

Probably he was trying to find the word "iPod". Just moments earlier he spoke of three post-of devices being iPod, iPhone, iPad. I noticed his hesitation then figured he had one of those moments where his third item was on the tip of his tongue but couldn't find it.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

During Wednesday's keynote, Apple CEO Tim Cook teased that the company is "just getting started" in 2012, noting that customers have "a lot to look forward to" this year.

What else is he going to say - 2012 is going to be a crap year? I don't think so. I like the finance guy - every single quarterly earnings conference call he says the same thing "we have a great pipeline of amazing new products". I bet he has no idea what they got lined up but just says it anyway lol.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

I'm holding out hope for a Mac Pro this year, if there isn't one by Christmas, then I'm buying the MacMini when it gets a quadcore and desktop performance level of dedicated graphics. The iMac's do not, and will not interest me, because I see them as just batteryless laptops. If I want a laptop, I'll buy a laptop. I have room for a macmini (it can replace the first generation intel macmini.)

My optimistic guess is that the MacBook Pro's will get SSD options instead of spinning drives, they may also get the same screen resolution as the new iPad (early 2012) except in 16:10 ratio. Some minor performance bumps and all quad-core.

My pessimistic guess is that Apple decides to nix the MacPro entirely and Apple gets some huge backlash from the music, video and 3D content creators, and we then we stop seeing new content put on iTunes when the studios give Apple the middle finger. Remember that you need a mac to put anything on the iTunes store, that includes Video (which must be in the Final Cut Pro ProRes format.) It won't stop app developers since you can compile apps on the Macmini. But you're not going to get a studio to pipe their video to a superslow macmini just to put video on the iTunes store. No they'll outsource this to someone else who will just slap the default settings on, and you wind up with the kind of sloppy VOD that the cable companies are pushing.

Perhaps this "new" name is the thing we need to pay attention to the most. If they expand the air line to include pro models, perhaps we will see the "New Macbook" with ultrabook design and 11-13-17-17 inch screens. Followed by the "new Mac Pro", a smaller machine with a non-xeon 6 core chip as entry level. By the end of the year, the entire product line will be "new".
  • Reply 39 of 83
    aaargh!aaargh! Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Probably he was trying to find the word "iPod". Just moments earlier he spoke of three post-of devices being iPod, iPhone, iPad. I noticed his hesitation then figured he had one of those moments where his third item was on the tip of his tongue but couldn't find it.

Or the slight hesitation was because he's very consciously not using the name of a yet unreleased new product. Imagine working on the new iAwesome all day and then having to do a presentation on these "post PC" devices and not being able to name this new product that you're talking about and working on all day long. It's very easy to let it slip out unless you're really thinking about what you're about to say (which humans usually don't, you're usually only aware of what you're saying after you've said it).
  • Reply 40 of 83
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Perhaps this "new" name is the thing we need to pay attention to the most. If they expand the air line to include pro models, perhaps we will see the "New Macbook" with ultrabook design and 11-13-17-17 inch screens. Followed by the "new Mac Pro", a smaller machine with a non-xeon 6 core chip as entry level. By the end of the year, the entire product line will be "new".

or just a new itv . . . . . . . \