Apple adds ability to redownload movies, 1080p TV episodes from iCloud

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014


Apple on Wednesday announced that it has expanded its iTunes in the Cloud functionality in iCloud, giving users the ability to re-download movies, and also adding availability of 1080p high-definition TV show episodes.



Previously, the iTunes in the Cloud service only applied to music, books and applications purchased through Apple's iTunes Store. But now, users will be able to re-download movies they purchase onto another device.



In addition, television content is available in high-definition 1080p format, allowing it to be natively displayed on the new Apple TV. Previously, content maxed out at 720p, which was the highest resolution output of the previous generation Apple TV.



Now, with iCloud, users will be able to buy movies and TV shows on Apple TV, and then watch them on their iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or PC. Purchases and other content can be synced across all current devices in Apple's ecosystem.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

  • kozchriskozchris Posts: 205member
    Finally!!!. This is great news.
  • asciiascii Posts: 5,363member
    Of course all the focus will be on the iPad 3 today but, as a movie lover, 1080p iTunes is a big deal to me.
  • john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,611member
    Only movies can be re-downloaded? Not TV show seasons?
  • yensid98yensid98 Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Only movies can be re-downloaded? Not TV show seasons?



    TV shows are already supported. This is adding to support for Movies too.



    Personally, this one feature has me chomping at the bit to upgrade to an Apple TV 3. Depending on pricing, I may even find myself buying less movies in a physical form.
  • davegeedavegee Posts: 2,766member
    Will we be offered....



    - the 1080p versions of content we already purchased in the 720p format?

    - the ability to upgrade at a reasonable cost to the 1080p versions?



    If neither is offered I'd be ... Not shocked ... But disappointed.
  • pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post


    TV shows are already supported. This is adding to support for Movies too.



    Personally, this one feature has me chomping at the bit to upgrade to an Apple TV 3. Depending on pricing, I may even find myself buying less movies in a physical form.



    I would imagine the AppleTV 2 would receive a software update to support this, minus the 1080p.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


    I would imagine the AppleTV 2 would receive a software update to support this, minus the 1080p.



    Yep, they did.
  • jdmac29jdmac29 Posts: 23member
    Now I can go on ahead and get apple tv. With my music and movies in the cloud this is great. Now hopefully this will shut down ultraviolet and all movies in the future will have itunes digital copies.
  • sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Bugger. Batman Begins no 1080p. Still, I forgot I had purchased it. Nice, downloading now.
  • sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Will we be offered....

    - the 1080p versions of content we already purchased in the 720p format?



    Yes. For free, if the movie is available in 1080p (which I expect to increase over the next few weeks).



    "In order for existing 720p owners to upgrade to 1080p, you have to go into the Store settings in the iTunes preferences and select 1080p. "



    Oooh... King's Speech is in 1080p.



    Oooh.... Fifth Element is in 1080p. Let's make a sticky? Please post here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=145672
  • desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    if i buy the new ATV and put it in my living room, and put the old ATV in the bedroom, will i still be able to download 1080p content AND a 720p copy? will my ATV's be smart enough to know which one to stream from iTunes? i don't want to have to buy two new ATV's.



    sigh. "white people problems".
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    if i buy the new ATV and put it in my living room, and put the old ATV in the bedroom, will i still be able to download 1080p content AND a 720p copy? will my ATV's be smart enough to know which one to stream from iTunes? i don't want to have to buy two new ATV's.



    sigh. "white people problems".



    The current Apple TV reads 1080 content just fine.
Sign In or Register to comment.