new guy+annoyances with macs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the1stvendetta View Post

deleted- try not to quote personal attacks. It makes cleanup harder. Thanks .

Is that really the best you can come up with?

(Eventually, you'll discover the truth in what I've said ... but you'll probably tell yourself it's not your own fault... that you're just a victim.)
  • Reply 22 of 27
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Much better to maintain your current pathetic attitude and conform to the lowest common denominator!... Don't let yourself appear to be smarter or more educated or less lazy than those around you.

Sad to say, the young man displays a generational attitude. I deal with it every day. Right and wrong, good and bad, slow and fast, black and white, smart and dumb--these are concepts that have no meaning to them. It is all about staying with the herd. They feel that they are OK as long as they stay with the herd.

Our young friend has a snottier attitude than most, but it is more a matter of degree than of kind. I could tell you stories....
  • Reply 23 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Sad to say, the young man displays a generational attitude. I deal with it every day. Right and wrong, good and bad, slow and fast, black and white, smart and dumb--these are concepts that have no meaning to them. It is all about staying with the herd. They feel that they are OK as long as they stay with the herd.

What has to be done to fix that? I'm quite troubled by it.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What has to be done to fix that? I'm quite troubled by it.

Can't fix it except by putting him under general anesthesia until he is 25 and then waking him up. His frontal lobe neurons just aren't there yet.

But we can prohibit his teenage or pre-teenage rantings here.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Can't fix it except by putting him under general anesthesia until he is 25 and then waking him up. His frontal lobe neurons just aren't there yet.

But we can prohibit his teenage or pre-teenage rantings here.

I meant for the generation as a whole, but that works, too.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Not true ... I hold my students to a higher standard. They are graded on their texting and Facebook posts.

Stupid looking texts were excusable when they were being sent from a number-only keypad. They now have full keyboards and there's no excuse for not using correct spelling and punctuation.

I can hold my own children to a MUCH higher standard... and they simply perform to the level that is expected of them. They learn at an early age that if they appear stupid (regardless of their true intelligence) then others will treat them as if they are stupid and they will be afforded the opportunities of stupid people. If they want better opportunities to be made available to them by society, then it starts by giving off the appearance of being worthy of those opportunities (in the way you look, talk, and express yourself.)

Like it or not, the same is true when it comes time to earn a paycheck and seek job-advancement ... best to learn these lessons earlier than later.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the1stvendetta View Post

hi guys, im new here, i just joined appleinsider and i really need to know if anyone has had the same problems that ive had with the basic white mac laptops.

I go to a very different high school than what most people these days are in; i go to a STEM academy in pennsylvania and i use my laptop for 99% of all of my classes and all of my schoolwork (aside from algebra worksheets and book work) are on my laptop and are composed on my latop; so its very important that my laptop doesnt give me trouble and works reliably.

a few months ago, one of my friends put a key in my usb port (for whatever reason, i have no idea why) and it completely f***** up my laptop and made my life hell until i was able to go to tech support to get it looked at.

before the key was placed in the usb port, it was fine and i didnt really have any problems with it, although macs already had an unreliable reputation with me; my dad teaches AP honors physics and makes all of his own assignments, worksheets, etc., and his laptop that he uses crashed at least 3 times and each time he lost at least 2 months of worksheets, assignments, labs, etc that he created and had to redo each and every one of them.

while the key was being put in my usb port (it wasnt stabbed into the side of my laptop or anything, it was just placed in the port) a little pop-up came on the screen that said "remove the device from the usb port, it is consuming too much power". for the rest of the day after i took out the key, i didnt have any problems, however the next day, everything started going downhill.

At first it was lagging, then it started really lagging, and that was followed by the battery losing 70% of its original discharge time (8 hours on minimum brightness, 3 hours on maximum brightness), the laptop randomly shutting down when the battery indicator said that i still had an hour of charge left, the auto-recover function stopped working whenever these random shut-downs happened, and finally, whenever i had a document open on my laptop and it randomly shut down, it was permanently erased deleted from my hardrive (this happened to a 1500 word essay that i had worked on for 2 weeks, and i had to completely redo it)!

the problems with the laptop were its hardrive, processor, and battery.

what annoyed me was that you cant simply replace these disfunctional parts in these laptops; if they'res a little problem like the usb port is damaged, it cant be replaced; you have to replace the whole frickin computer, and this really annoyed me because instead of my friend having to pay only 100-300$ for new parts, hes gotta pay one grand because of Apple's unintelligent design and it pisses me off!

Now, i have a whole new laptop, and im still getting glitches with the battery, and so are my classmates! instead of the normal 8 hour battery life (on minimum brightness; 3 on full brightness), its now 3 hours (on minimum brightness; 50 minutes on full brightness)!

AND its still lagging like crazy!

the only good thing that ive heard about these laptops thats made me happy is that there's a rumor going around that after i finish my senior year, we'll get to buy our laptops from the school for 25$ (were going to use the same computer for our entire high school career), and i know a few friends who hunt, and some of them have shotguns.... guess what i'll be doing senior year

so yeah, has anyone else here had the same and/or similar problems to what ive had? and can anyone explain how the battery life keeps getting shorter and shorter? Thanks for reading this, i know it was a little long, but i needed to ask some people who have more experience with apple than me and my friends at school.

All of your problems happen all the time on Windows machines.

You shorted out your laptop's USB port. Which you can do on Windows. Find me one laptop maker that sells their components off the shelf.

And losing documents also happens on Windows.

Worst rant I've ever read, and your English teacher should fail you for writing in such a poor format.