Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Comments

• Reply 381 of 445
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

I bet you, that people will be left holding IPAD HD, 3 whatever in the UK, which doesn't work with LTE when the UK LTE is launched.

Mark my words.

Look it up. The UK uses an incompatible spectrum:

http://www.talkandroid.com/93587-eve.../#.T1im01HC9Rc

Apple can't be responsible for the fact that LTE is so badly fragmented. If the volume is high enough, they can release a UK model later, but for now, there's no market.

And if lots of people are going to buy an iPad to run LTE in the UK, then Brits need to look at their educational system to teach people how to read. The iPad is not marketed as offering LTE in the UK, nor is there even a functional LTE system in the UK.

Quote:

Man I love apple - but! I think they are slipping..

Apple is not meant to have loose ends. Apple users are never meant to be left confused, and for the first time, I am left confused.

Honestly, I am scared for the future of this company already.

Let me explain my beef with the new ipad.

1) Will the IPAD LTE work in the UK? No explanation whatsoever!

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the UK doesn't have LTE yet?

Apple didn't mention whether LTE would work in Nigeria, either. Apple is doomed.

Quote:

2) Which brings me to the second point. Google IPAD LTE UK. It leaves you confused.

If apple had called the device IPAD3, it would make it so much easier to Google it! There is no clarity in the nomeclature.

Why drop the number? What reason is there? It has made googling now and henceforth a bit more difficult when you want to trouble shoot.

Because numbering the product is a silly system. You don't buy an iMac 7.2 - you buy an iMac. You don't buy a MacBook Pro 4.1 - you buy a MacBook Pro. If you need to further identify the product, you specify the date (early 2011). Nothing at all confusing.

Quote:

3) Facetime HD Camera. Come on - the one thing I want to do is talk to my parents using Facetime! An ipad is much easier to use than a PC and my parents are not exactly computer engineers. Was an HD camera that difficult to implement Apple?

I guess I fail to see why you need 5 MP in a FaceTime camera. You don't think you can recognize the person at 640x480? Just how much resolution is needed - do you need to see the detailed outline of every pimple? And keep in mind that the more resolution you have in your FaceTime camera, the more data you're sending back and forth - eating up your data plan.

Personally, I'd rather have 'only' 640x480 rather than flood my data plan. That may be the reason Apple chose a lower resolution camera or there may be other reasons, but I haven't seen any justification as to why more is needed. And the idea that it's a deal breaker is just silly.

Quote:

I actually went from being a definite buy on the IPAD3 (I will call it this - Apple go to hell) to having distaste in my mouth.

Sorry guys - this is just my opinion on the whole thing.

No problem. That leaves one more for someone else.
  • Reply 382 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Welcome to AI

You are over-thinking some things here. What was released is a new iPad. That's what it is, the iPad, the name does not need qualifying. A good move I believe.

The FaceTime camera is specifically intended to stream data. The reverse camera is specifically intended to produce data (images) to be managed at least initially, internal to the device. The FaceTime camera in many circumstances would not take advantage of higher resolutions.

The device released today of necessity, balances many sometimes competing goals and I believe that again, does so quite well.

All the best.

More importantly, do you really need to be streaming a 5 MP image when you're chatting with a friend? Imagine the data usage charges.
  • Reply 383 of 445
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member
    Quote:

1) Will the IPAD LTE work in the UK? No explanation whatsoever!

According to

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/ipad_4g/

There will be no LTE iPads working outside of North America, further if you buy the Verizon version you won't be able to use it on AT&T later (and visa versa).

If the above is true then I really am surprised that Apple would have jumped on the LTE bandwagon before standards harmonisation, but I guess fragmentation has to occur at some point in an OSes development.

Not sure how this will impact on sales outside of the USA.

EDIT------------ Posted before realising that the topic had been covered...
  • Reply 384 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hungover View Post

According to

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/ipad_4g/

There will be no LTE iPads working outside of North America, further if you buy the Verizon version you won't be able to use it on AT&T later (and visa versa).

If the above is true then I really am surprised that Apple would have jumped on the LTE bandwagon before standards harmonisation, but I guess fragmentation has to occur at some point in an OSes development.

Not sure how this will impact on sales outside of the USA.

Why should Apple wait? It's not like the situation's going to be any better next year than it is now. The UK will have an incompatible LTE network - as will many other countries. Apple gains absolutely nothing by delaying.

After countries have set up their networks, if their volume is high enough (and if the Qualcomm chip supports their network), then Apple can always release a new version later. But I think it's likely that many smaller countries will be out of luck on LTE if they choose an incompatible frequency.
  • Reply 385 of 445
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    EDIT: the first part of this was written after a confusing interaction with my local Softbank shop and will be revised once more info gets out. As of Friday evening Japan time, Softbank still hasn't even acknowledged the existence of the new iPad on their homepage, despite having a link from Apple's site.

---

Hmm. Though I appreciate progress, I am kinda bummed that Apple didn't make a 3G version that would work globally while the 4G systems get sorted out. I used a portable wifi with my first iPad, ditched it for the iPad 2, yet still have it. Though I could resurrect it (it's currently a paperweight on my desk), it is a bummer going backwards. Softbank for some reason doesn't allow the iPhone to serve as a hotspot, so that isn't an option.

For the first time, I will wait to buy. (already own an iPad 1, iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S so I'm not hurting)

--

However, the software updates today, especially Siri in Japanese, have made me a happy camper.
  • Reply 386 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Look it up. The UK uses an incompatible spectrum:

http://www.talkandroid.com/93587-eve.../#.T1im01HC9Rc

Apple can't be responsible for the fact that LTE is so badly fragmented.

If the volume is high enough, they can release a UK model later, but for now, there's no market.

And if lots of people are going to buy an iPad to run LTE in the UK, then Brits need to look at their educational system to teach people how to read. The iPad is not marketed as offering LTE in the UK, nor is there even a functional LTE system in the UK.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the UK doesn't have LTE yet?

Apple didn't mention whether LTE would work in Nigeria, either. Apple is doomed.

I guess I fail to see why you need 5 MP in a FaceTime camera. You don't think you can recognize the person at 640x480? Just how much resolution is needed - do you need to see the detailed outline of every pimple? And keep in mind that the more resolution you have in your FaceTime camera, the more data you're sending back and forth - eating up your data plan.

Personally, I'd rather have 'only' 640x480 rather than flood my data plan. That may be the reason Apple chose a lower resolution camera or there may be other reasons, but I haven't seen any justification as to why more is needed. And the idea that it's a deal breaker is just silly.

No problem. That leaves one more for someone else.

Granted, Apple are not ultimately responsible for the fact that LTE is fragmented. By the same token that weren't forced to follow the path of fragmentation.

Rather than suggesting that Brits are thick perhaps you should consider that customers purchase new devices in the hope that they will be able to utilise some of the features at a future date.

Germany has a population of 81m, a functional and established LTE network but wont be supported. Do you deem them to be too small a market? The EU has 500m...

With regard to Facetime calls- I thought that these were only officially supported via wifi, how does it impact upon your cellular tariff?
  • Reply 387 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Hmm. Though I appreciate progress, I am kinda bummed that Apple didn't make a 3G version that would work globally while the 4G systems get sorted out. I used a portable wifi with my first iPad, ditched it for the iPad 2, yet still have it. Though I could resurrect it (it's currently a paperweight on my desk), it is a bummer going backwards. Softbank for some reason doesn't allow the iPhone to serve as a hotspot, so that isn't an option.

For the first time, I will wait to buy. (already own an iPad 1, iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S so I'm not hurting)

However, the software updates today, especially Siri in Japanese, have made me a happy camper.

How would it benefit anyone for Apple to offers 3G version? It wouldn't change the cost a bit - the new Qualcomm chip is probably not significantly more expensive than the old one. So you'd be buying a system with no hope of ever running 4G, but paying just as much as a 4G system.

If you really don't want 4G, you're always free to buy the iPad 2.

Quote:

Granted, Apple are not ultimately responsible for the fact that LTE is fragmented. By the same token that weren't forced to follow the path of fragmentation.

Rather than suggesting that Brits are thick perhaps you should consider that customers purchase new devices in the hope that they will be able to utilise some of the features at a future date.

Germany has a population of 81m, a functional and established LTE network but wont be supported. Do you deem them to be too small a market? The EU has 500m...

So what's the solution? Here are the options:

1. Apple refuses to release an LTE system until the world standardizes. If they did that, they'd be penalizing countries which have LTE and there's be no benefit for countries that don't.

2. Apple releases LTE in the countries that have it. At least those countries benefit, but there's no harm done to countries that don't have LTE.

So what do you want Apple to do?

Quote:

With regard to Facetime calls- I thought that these were only officially supported via wifi, how does it impact upon your cellular tariff?

First, it is possible to use FaceTime over 3G without jail breaking:

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/03/use-...-jailbreaking/

Second, my point is that there may be perfectly legitimate reasons to not have a better front facing camera. Maybe it's the cost of adding a second camera. Maybe it's space. Maybe it's battery consumption. Maybe it's data usage. I don't know, but Apple obviously had a reason for not upgrading that camera. And since I certainly don't have any desire to see someone's face at > VGA resolution, it doesn't bother me -- and I suspect that it won't bother very many people. If you absolutely need to see someone's face at full iPad resolution, then you don't have to buy one.
  • Reply 388 of 445
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Hmm. Though I appreciate progress, I am kinda bummed that Apple didn't make a 3G version that would work globally while the 4G systems get sorted out.

I don't understand? they have. Both work globally on 3G.
  • Reply 389 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

The iPad is a great SSH client - there are several SSH apps on the App Store. If you have a farm of headless servers that run SSHD on the public internet, nothing stops you from using an iPad.

However, there is one catch. The whole idea of a virtual keyboard is that there can be multiple keyboards for multiple tasks. Unix terminal users are accustomed to doing everything with the keyboard - so these SSH clients should also use keyboards that are conducive for that sort of stuff. All the current SSH clients use the default Apple keyboard - which is not convenient if you want to do a lot of Ctrl+Key typing - which is required in Unix. Everytime I use SSH, it really irritates me when I want to use TAB for file/command completion, or Esc within VI. It works, but is not optimal.

How hard would it be to allow a full keyboard functionality with a multitouch virtual keyboard in landscape mode?

There are some iPad apps (I can't recall which, offhand) that display custom keyboards -- I think they are kb extensions, actually... where additional keys appear in a band above the normal kb.

AIR, one in particular has Cmd, Ctrl, Opt, Fn, Arrows, Tab, Home, End.

I haven't looked at it in a while, but in addition to the several predefined Apple kb layouts -- you can define an entire custom kb...

You need to have a valid reason for doing this, though, to get the app through the app store approval -- Apple is pretty protective about UI standards and consistency,

• Reply 390 of 445
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    There's nothing the iPad could have done better really.

LTE FDD and LTE-TD right now are being rolled out but the real price is LTE Advanced

http://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/wi...s/lte-advanced

So even if we've got to take baby-steps today with LTE fragmentation today it's nice to know that even more major improvements to SoC and network growth/speed is coming.
  • Reply 391 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Actually I am using my Asus Slider more and more like a laptop because the OS is so versatile. I am a programmer and I actually have a LAMP server running on my tablet. I also have, Python, Perl, Ruby and now a Java SDK kit. The Asus Slider is a hybrid, it has a keyboard that well slides out from the bottom so I use a bluetooth mouse and I have a pretty neat portable development machine.

Now there are very few people that would ever use such a setup but what about a filemanager with access to

Can you do all this with the standard release of the Android OS?

Because, if you have to root the OS (or whatever they call it) to be able to setup a LAMP server -- it is no different than JailBreaking iOS to do the same thing.

As I stated earlier, I did this several years ago on an iPod (before iPhone), iPhone 1, Apple TV 1.

It is really no big deal as iOS is just Unix (OS X) with a kernel tailored to the device.

Here's a reference from 2007 -- almost 5 years ago:

Apache on iPhone - How Cool!!

This isn't really that big of a deal!

Is that a LAMP Server in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I abandoned the JailBreak approach with the advent of the iOS SDK, and the app store -- I found that I could buy most of the capability I needed a lot less expensively than messing about re-inventing the wheel.. For a few capabilities not available, I was able to roll-my-own apps within the constraints of the iOS SDK.

If you really want a useful server have a look at this:

Mac Mini

You can set up a legitimate server for as little as $599 -- even less if you buy a used mini on eBay, etc.

• Reply 392 of 445
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

http://www.slashgear.com/new-ipad-4g...rica-08217470/

There we go.... :-)

Just as I already stated from the very available information I grabbed right from Apple's website. What's your explanation for choosing not to do a modicum of research?
  • Reply 393 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

There's nothing the iPad could have done better really.

LTE FDD and LTE-TD right now are being rolled out but the real price is LTE Advanced

http://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/wi...s/lte-advanced

So even if we've got to take baby-steps today with LTE fragmentation today it's nice to know that even more major improvements to SoC and network growth/speed is coming.

It's really amazing how fast this is progressing. The iPad got a 10x jump in max theoretical speed YoY. I assume the 6th gen iPhone will get a 5x speed jump YoY going from 14.4Mbps HSPA+ to 73Mbps LTE.

I wonder if cellular data would have progressed this quickly if not for the iPhone drawing people to the smartphone market as a whole and using so much data on cellular networks. I have to think it wouldn't have.

PS: You see the iPad is using MDM9600, not 9615?
  • Reply 394 of 445
    vthreevthree Posts: 13member
    I just had a thought regarding the naming going back to just iPad. Although it is likely I am totally wrong but throwing it out there.

What if we do have an iPad mini in the works? If the just released iPad were named iPad3, then apple would have 2 choices

1) name the mini iPad4 which would be confusing

2) name it iPad mini. But then next gen of that would be iPad mini 2 which would just get clumsy.

Now, we will just have iPad and iPad mini. Not suggesting it will be released this year or anything but they must be looking into and testing different form factors
  • Reply 395 of 445
    spishspish Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait and see.

Disclaimer: I'm no fan of Sony.

The PS3 really isn't? eh? you know, it's just not?

Why help the followers? Why condone their copying?

It's 2006. E3. The PS3 has been advertised with a boomerang controller. The thing is completely and utterly unusable. You can't hold it. A month prior, Nintendo released the images of the Wii controller and how it would be used to control the system. So what does Sony do? Goes back to the identical controller from the PS2, but puts motion sensing in it. And then mocks Nintendo for their "weird control scheme". Cut to 2010, the PS3 has terrible sales and they make the PlayStation Move (those two colored wands that are obviously stolen directly from the Nintendo Wii idea.

Sony is the Micro-Google of gaming consoles. Nintendo's the Apple.

As for its use as a console, I never read anything about people using it for games. They say it's a good Blu-ray player, but that's it. It's loud, it's a huge power hog, and there's the "PS3 has no games" vibe.

I own more gaming devices than I have room for frankly and do a majority of my gaming on a PS3. I think it might actually be the best console I've ever owned. It's definitely up there with the PS1 and the SNES. For those who are into gaming, it's a must have.

I'd say Sony is an innovative company in the console space. Don't forget they set the standard with dual analog. They also had absolutely no need to copy Nintendo since R&D for Move predates the Wii by a significant margin.
  • Reply 396 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spish View Post

Don't forget they set the standard with dual analog.

Don't forget that absolutely every single other aspect of their controllers was stolen from either Nintendo or (more recently) Microsoft and that Sony didn't originally use ANY joysticks whatsoever because they didn't seem to see the need for them.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that the PlayStation wouldn't exist if it hadn't been Nintendo's idea to develop.

Sony is the Microsoft of consoles. They partnered with Apple (sorry, Nintendo) and took the ideas and ran, creating their own stuff.

Quote:

They also had absolutely no need to copy Nintendo since R&D for Move predates the Wii by a significant margin.

The subject of that sentence doesn't connect with the predicate by any method of logic that I can parse.
  • Reply 397 of 445
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vthree View Post

I just had a thought regarding the naming going back to just iPad. Although it is likely I am totally wrong but throwing it out there.

What if we do have an iPad mini in the works? If the just released iPad were named iPad3, then apple would have 2 choices

1) name the mini iPad4 which would be confusing

2) name it iPad mini. But then next gen of that would be iPad mini 2 which would just get clumsy.

Now, we will just have iPad and iPad mini. Not suggesting it will be released this year or anything but they must be looking into and testing different form factors

I am more curious what they will do in a year. Will they discontinue the new iPad and just keep iPad2 around indefinitely with an even lower the price? Maybe in another year they'll call it the iPad Classic?!

I am guessing they are just going to give it a year and see how many people buy the iPad2. They'll worry about names in a year.
  • Reply 398 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I am more curious what they will do in a year. Will they discontinue the new iPad and just keep iPad2 around indefinitely with an even lower the price?

No, of course not. The 16GB iPad 3 stays on next year with the fourth one taking its place.
  • Reply 399 of 445
    Quote:

So what's the solution? Here are the options:

1. Apple refuses to release an LTE system until the world standardizes. If they did that, they'd be penalizing countries which have LTE and there's be no benefit for countries that don't.

2. Apple releases LTE in the countries that have it. At least those countries benefit, but there's no harm done to countries that don't have LTE.

So what do you want Apple to do?

Ermm... I would like to see option 2. Unfortunately Apple have gone for the unmentioned 3rd option of only supporting some LTE enabled countries.

My preferred option however would have been multi frequency support rather than locking customers to a given network.

Quote:

First, it is possible to use FaceTime over 3G without jail breaking:

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/03/use-...-jailbreaking/

But that does mean that you have to phone the other person first and tell them to put their phone into wifi sharing mode and then grab a second compatible Apple product whilst you do the same.(assuming that both of you are out of range of a wifi network). The jail break option seems like less hassle.
  • Reply 400 of 445
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, of course not. The 16GB iPad 3 stays on next year with the fourth one taking its place.

And they'll call it the iPad 5.