Samsung may already be preparing legal assault on Apple's new iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calpilot7 View Post

It would seem that SAMSUX has no intellectual property as it seems all they have done is try to monkey see monkey do. Epic fail though. SAMSUX stuff feels plastic and cheap whereas Apple is beautiful and well made. Apple feels expensive and SAMSUX feels cheap. Not to mention Android is a fragmented half baked open sourced mess. NO THANKS. Stop messing with Apple and try to make products that stand out on their own and that people might want to buy. Wait till Apple gets into TVs and cleans SAMSUX clock. Yikes. No wonder SAMSUX is scared.

I have a Samsung phone. It has a retina class AMOLED display behind Gorilla glass. The body is aluminium. The build quality is superb and every bit as good as Apple's. It doesn't copy anything to do with Apple, did stand out, I wanted to buy it and did.

As for copying. At the time of launch it had a message centre, could act as a Wifi hotspot and you could stream media to and from it from DNLA capable devices. Apple's iOS didn't copy these features until about a year later.

And it had a better camera, than any Apple phone until the 4s and better battery life than any Apple phone.

You were saying...
  • Reply 22 of 92
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    In before the flood of Android fans saying Samsung should just learn how to compete.

What? I'm a dreamer.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Samsung has no choice but to protect its intellectual property.

As does Apple. Glad you see and understand that. With such an attitude you'll surely be on Apple's side if the shoe were on the other foot right?
  • Reply 24 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

They don't have a Life, they only have a Seoul.

I would not be surprised if they are thinking of naming a product an 'iSeoul', but I'd suggest an 'r' would be better than an 'i' .
  • Reply 25 of 92
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Now would it not make more sense to have suite brought against Apple in a country where the market is the largest, that would in turn cause Apple the most financial heartache ?

Seems odd for Samsung to be targeting Apple in such a small country/economy as Australia.

Well, based on what we've observed so far from Apple's lawsuits in Germany to Holland to Austrialia, it seems like the Austrialian and the Dusseldorf courts are by far the most patent holder friendly courts. so why not?
  • Reply 26 of 92
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I have a Samsung phone. It has a retina class AMOLED display behind Gorilla glass. The body is aluminium. The build quality is superb and every bit as good as Apple's. It doesn't copy anything to do with Apple, did stand out, I wanted to buy it and did.

As for copying. At the time of launch it had a message centre, could act as a Wifi hotspot and you could stream media to and from it from DNLA capable devices. Apple's iOS didn't copy these features until about a year later.

You were saying...

Apple's iPhone was the first smartphone with a touch-screen display, and multi-touch for the matter. So all other smartphones with a touch panel or multitouch are copying patents of Apple for the iPhone -- yes, these things were patented and Apple has gone to court many times over this.

There were many other things about the iPhone that were unique and have been 'copied' in other Android-based phones, but the multitouch touchscreen panel is the most obvious and blatant violation of Apple's patent on this technology.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    I'm so disgusted by this company, I am seriously considering taking down my Samsung HDTV if it weren't such a hassle to sell. Unfortunately, I purchased it long before this whole patent war started.

• Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:

And it had a better camera, than any Apple phone until the 4s and better battery life than any Apple phone.

You were saying...

It would be helpful if you actually said what model of phone you had so we could compare your statement to actual facts. I think it would be interesting to know what Samsung phone had a "retina class" display in Oct. 2010 or before as you claim (a year before iOS had a message center).
  • Reply 29 of 92
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:

You were saying...

that you don't now what you are talking about.. retina class? are you crazy? do you anything about that?

build quality is superb and samsung in the same sentence? no. samsung quality is "good enough".

what about the OS? are you going to pretend that if feels as fast as a 2year old iphone4?

better battery life? what???

you sir, are crazy.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    swilcoxswilcox Posts: 20member
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, sue.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

And what intellectual property is that exactly?

Are you expecting a serious answer from this guy?
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

No. It makes the most sense to bring suits in countries where you feel you have the best chance to win the case.

-kpluck

Although, Judge Annabel (I don't know why I love that name!) hasn't worked out very well for Samsung so far....
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

I'm so disgusted by this company, I am seriously considering taking down my Samsung HDTV if it weren't such a hassle to sell. Unfortunately, I purchased it long before this whole patent war started.

consider boycotting all electronic goods from Apple, HP, Sony, Verizon, etc.. iPhone is also 25% Samsung (component & price wise).
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I would not be surprised if they are thinking of naming a product an 'iSeoul', but I'd suggest an 'r' would be better than an 'i' .

+1 (with the Br. pronunciation).
  • Reply 35 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Although, Judge Annabel (I don't know why I love that name!) hasn't worked out very well for Samsung so far....

Judge Annabel's injunction was overturned by a higher court in AU.. She may be just a clueless judge - which may or may not work in Samsung's favor this time around.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

She may be just a clueless ......

Maybe.

But not as clueless as Samsung's lawyers who couldn't tell apart Samsung's tablet from Apple's. Could have played a role in her ruling. One can hope they are using the same lawyers.....
  • Reply 37 of 92
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

You were saying...

Can you please point me to the phone model you're referring to, which in that entire rant you neglected to mention? I'm serious, I'm curious. Cause I'm not aware of any recent Samsung phones with an aluminum body, nor 'retina class' resolution- never-mind all 3. Please do tell.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Samsung has no choice but to protect its intellectual property.

While this is true, if this is another FRAND game they aren't likely to get any type of injunction and shouldn't.

So we shall have to see what it is they are claiming as infringing and infringed upon before we can call them good or bad guys
  • Reply 39 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

It is funny that Samsung are the ones making the Retina display which is used in the new iPad -- they actually make this key part of the device, and they are suing Apple yet again for stealing their ideas....I don't think Samsung has a Retina-display tablet out on the market, and Apple paid Samsung good money for these panels, it was a fair deal.

Even if this is the claim, Apple was the first to have a retina display in any mobile device with the iPhone and thus they have a very strong 'prior art' argument. Not to mention that as an Apple supplier, it is not out of the realm of possibility that SameSux's previously announced but not yet released SuperDef screen was 'inspired by' their insider knowledge of Apple's specs
  • Reply 40 of 92
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

You were saying...

Oh shut up. We all know that today, every smartphone that claims to be a 'modern' smartphone plays in a product space that was created by the iPhone. Everyone else will claim we added this bell and that whistle X months before the iPhone did, but in truth those tweaks were obvious and perfunctory and were just a matter of where the manufacturer is in their product upgrade cycle.

The heavy lifting came in re-imagining what a smartphone should be, and later on, what a tablet computer should be, and those things were ALL DONE EXCLUSIVELY BY APPLE.

Samsung on the other hand is the most shameless copycat of all the major consumer electronics companies. And the sad thing is that given the brain power they obviously possess, they need not be, but they can't help it because they don't have any imagination at all. Which isn't that surprising once you think about it: there is a reason that North Korea is the most regimented society in the whole world. Perhaps throughout all of human history.