Samsung may already be preparing legal assault on Apple's new iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Samsung has no choice but to protect its intellectual property.

You mean the "property" it stole from Apple in the first place? Sure it has a right to protect its ill gotten gains.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    If you can't compete,

if you can't innovate,

Sue!
  • Reply 43 of 92
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

It would be helpful if you actually said what model of phone you had so we could compare your statement to actual facts. I think it would be interesting to know what Samsung phone had a "retina class" display in Oct. 2010 or before as you claim (a year before iOS had a message center).

Samsung Wave S8500. 283 ppi - and it was released in April 2010.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

that you don't now what you are talking about.. retina class? are you crazy? do you anything about that?

build quality is superb and samsung in the same sentence? no. samsung quality is "good enough".

what about the OS? are you going to pretend that if feels as fast as a 2year old iphone4?

better battery life? what???

you sir, are crazy.

Quote:

It is definitely a good looker, sports a pretty solid metal chassis and is really thin at just 0.43 inches (10.9mm). The in-hand feel of the smartphone is top-notch, thanks to the high-quality materials used and its significant weight....On the whole, the build quality of the Samsung Wave S8500 is great.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sa...-Review_id2452

Quote:

The Samsung S8500 Wave is very well built and that?s a good way to start. The economic styling befits the slim and solid phone, and the overall feel of the device is sharp and mature. We have no complaints about the controls and handling. And the screen? words can hardly describe the difference to regular LCD displays. It?s just beautiful simply to look at.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s850...view-480p2.php

Why shouldn't it feel fast, it has a Hummingbird processor - effectively the same as the A4 - clocked at 1 ghz, not 800 mhz like the iP4. it runs Samsungs Bada OS which is actually quite fast. As for the battery life:

Quote:

Samsung S8500 Wave is our new battery life champion...The Bada-running Samsung S8500 Wave withstood so much torture that at one point we were wondering if it would ever die. Well it finally did after 3 and a half days

http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-king-is...life-champion/

Quote:

The final verdict is that the iPhone 4 is a pretty good performer. Its score is day shorter than what Galaxy S and Samsung Wave achieved

(Battery life test)

Crazy, eh?

At least I know what I am talking about.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Meh?.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Even if this is the claim, Apple was the first to have a retina display in any mobile device with the iPhone and thus they have a very strong 'prior art' argument. Not to mention that as an Apple supplier, it is not out of the realm of possibility that SameSux's previously announced but not yet released SuperDef screen was 'inspired by' their insider knowledge of Apple's specs

If 301 ppi counts as 'retina', then the Samsung Jet S8000 had one a full year before the iPhone 4. The Jet was released in June 2009 and the display was AMOLED. I have one.

If 283 ppi counts as 'retina', then MY S8500 also pre-dates the iP4 release - by two months.

Prior art my arse.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Crazy, eh?

At least I know what I am talking about.

No. You know only about your Samsung phone but not the history of the smartphone industry.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Samsung has no choice but to protect its intellectual property.

The words "intellectual" and "Samsung" don't belong in the same sentence
  • Reply 48 of 92
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:

If 301 ppi counts as 'retina', then the Samsung Jet S8000 had one a full year before the iPhone 4. The Jet was released in June 2009 and the display was AMOLED. I have one.

If 283 ppi counts as 'retina', then MY S8500 also pre-dates the iP4 release - by two months.

Prior art my arse.

Apple don't have a patent on retina displays.
  • Reply 49 of 92
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Why should I? Because you said so?

I get your point, but there is no need to be facetious about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

consider boycotting all electronic goods from Apple, HP, Sony, Verizon, etc.. iPhone is also 25% Samsung (component & price wise).

• Reply 50 of 92
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

No. You know only about your Samsung phone but not the history of the smartphone industry.

cnocbui was asked about the Samsung smartphone and, accordingly, provided citations to back up earlier claims in this thread.

where, specifically in this thread, was there a discussion / debate about the history of the smartphone industry (which dates back to 1992 with the IBM Simon concept)?
  • Reply 51 of 92
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Judge Annabel's injunction was overturned by a higher court in AU.. She may be just a clueless judge - which may or may not work in Samsung's favor this time around.

However, since she was shot down by both the Appellate Court and the High Court, chances are she isn't going to be so quick to issue another injunction against anyone, Apple or Samsung. Judges don't like having their rulings overturned, since a high record of being overturned can affect judicial assignments, etc.

I can see the ads right now: "The new iPad. The tablet Samsung tried to stop!"
  • Reply 52 of 92
    Samsung has no choice. It's desperate for a favorable ruling to use as leverage in its royalty negotiations with Apple and sues in the hope of getting some judge to rule in their favor. Samsung's recent suit against Apple in Korea may stir up a nationalistic backlash against Apple. If that happens it's game over for Samsux in the USA.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    Samsung did this after the iPhone 4S release, and all those suits were dismissed. What could possibly make them think this will work out any differently?
  • Reply 54 of 92
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

It is funny that Samsung are the ones making the Retina display which is used in the new iPad -- they actually make this key part of the device, and they are suing Apple yet again for stealing their ideas....I don't think Samsung has a Retina-display tablet out on the market, and Apple paid Samsung good money for these panels, it was a fair deal.

Can you read?
  • Reply 55 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

The words "intellectual" and "Samsung" don't belong in the same sentence

Top patent holders (aka intellectual property )

1) IBM

2) Samsung

3) Canon

4) Microsoft

5) Panasonic

6) Toshiba

39) Apple

http://ificlaims.com/index.php?page=...-announces-top

Want other records for the past 10 years?

Samsung has been on the top 10 list for the past 12 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ent_recipients

Most of the innovations of Samsung are the things that you cant see with your naked eye.
  • Reply 56 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:

Actually a "Gee, I'm sorry. I didn't know that.", or "Thank you for the refererence. You were right" might be appropriate. Way too many problems and clashes in AI's forums are due to members unable to admit they were wrong and instead just ratcheting up the insults another notch to cover for their errors.

If you make a mistake simply admit it. I do. It keeps the threads moving along instead of being bogged down in misdirection and ad-homs.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    Quote:

Oh shut up. We all know that today, every smartphone that claims to be a 'modern' smartphone plays in a product space that was created by the iPhone. Everyone else will claim we added this bell and that whistle X months before the iPhone did, but in truth those tweaks were obvious and perfunctory and were just a matter of where the manufacturer is in their product upgrade cycle.

The heavy lifting came in re-imagining what a smartphone should be, and later on, what a tablet computer should be, and those things were ALL DONE EXCLUSIVELY BY APPLE.

Samsung on the other hand is the most shameless copycat of all the major consumer electronics companies. And the sad thing is that given the brain power they obviously possess, they need not be, but they can't help it because they don't have any imagination at all. Which isn't that surprising once you think about it: there is a reason that North Korea is the most regimented society in the whole world. Perhaps throughout all of human history.

Your argument would've been reasonable up until you mentioned "North Korea".

That was when the words "lol" suddenly came out.

To suddenly associate your neighbors political system having an influence on a commercial entity's innovative thinking is quite laughable.

Is the Mexican political ways having an influence on Apple's thinking? Um...no

Population explosion? Well, that is a another story.

How about the Candians? Wait... what do the Canadians do up there anyway?
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Quote:

I have a Samsung phone. It has a retina class AMOLED display behind Gorilla glass. The body is aluminium. The build quality is superb and every bit as good as Apple's. It doesn't copy anything to do with Apple, did stand out, I wanted to buy it and did.

As for copying. At the time of launch it had a message centre, could act as a Wifi hotspot and you could stream media to and from it from DNLA capable devices. Apple's iOS didn't copy these features until about a year later.

And it had a better camera, than any Apple phone until the 4s and better battery life than any Apple phone.

You were saying...

That SAMSUX phones look like cheap feminine grooming devices and feel inexpensively cheap. Having migrated from Android I can say that Android is a complete joke. Multiple battery pulls were the norm. Bluetooth was extremely erratic. Let's see...oh well another re-boot for my Android phone to reset the constantly failing bluetooth. Same reboots and battery pulls to enable erratic GPS Navigation. The apps blow compared to iPhone apps. They were graphically inferior when compared to the iOs version. Software upgrades????? Who the Hell knows if you'll get one or when? Everything is so fragmented that a MOTO has a completely different skin than a HTC for instance. Each manufacturer adds their own piece of crap onto the top of Android along with various BLOATWARE that can't be removed. NO THANKS!! SAMSUX cheap feeling phones combined with half-baked and fragmented Android = EPIC FAIL. Oh yeah.....My iPhone 4S just works ..... as advertised it just flat out works. Bluetooth, GPS and all!!

I guess that's what I was saying....
  • Reply 59 of 92
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Samsung

Proview

What's the difference.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

If you can't compete,

if you can't innovate,

Sue!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Samsung

Proview

What's the difference.

Fanboys have got to be the most myopic people on earth. Do you not remember that it was CRAPPLE the back stabbing business partner that started the whole thing thinking it had the rights to the rectangle?