Intuit releases Quicken 2007 update for OS X Lion users

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

After releasing a stripped down version of Quicken for Mac named Quicken Essentials 2010, Intuit has released an update for the full version that can run under OS X Lion, a $15 upgrade it calls "Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible."

The original Quicken Mac 2007 supplied a variety of features missing from the more recent release of Essentials 2010, including export to TurboTax, investment tracking and direct bill payments. However, the old version relied on PowerPC code that wouldn't work on OS X Lion, which has terminated support for Rosetta translation.

Intuit has now "reengineered" Quicken Mac 2007 so that it can run on OS X Lion, and the new update, available as a digital download or on CD-ROM, can import and convert data from Quicken Mac 2005, 2006 or 2007 or Quicken Essentials 2010.

Intuit recommends that "new Quicken customers should choose Quicken Essentials for Mac to get started," rather than getting the updated 2007 version with more expert features.

Intuit sells multiple versions of Quicken 2012 for Windows, which it has updated annually. During the five year wait for fully functional software capable of running on the latest Macs, many users have switched to alternatives, including the native iBank, available in the Mac App Store and in a mobile version for iPhone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    they are really going to make folks pay because they were too lazy to do this recoding years ago when Apple warned everyone that eventually PPC support would be dropped.

I might just switch programs altogether then. since I have to pay no matter what
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Charging for compatibility upgrades?

Quicken is embarrassing on the Mac anyways. They really don't understand simplicity and elegance. There are much better alternatives already in the App Store.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why has no one stepped up with a great, modern competitor that people would not want to pgrade from SL because Intuit was lazy a half decade earlier? The free market is designed to let the lazy and weak pushed out for new innovation, right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

they are really going to make folks pay because they were too lazy to do this recoding years ago when Apple warned everyone that eventually PPC support would be dropped.

I might just switch programs altogether then. since I have to pay no matter what

I'm torn on this. It's an app released in 2007. I expect at some time app development should incur additional costs. Granted, in 2007 they should have planned for x86 but they have the right to be lazy and/or dumb. At least they didn't repackage the whole thing as Quicken 2012 for OS X Lion and charge full price.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I have mixed emotions regarding charging for a compatibility update. I think they are doing the right thing by keeping costs low. Common people, it has been 5 years, $15 isn't going to break the bank. I don't understand calling it 2007. Why wouldn't you just call it 2012 or 2013?
  • Reply 5 of 56
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Intuit has been dealing with one compatibility after another for years now. A year later, Quicken 2007 finally gets an update. But how long until this updated version doesn't work, AGAIN. Intuit makes very poor Mac software. If you can get away from it, you definitely should!
  • Reply 6 of 56
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    I used Quicken for many years, but they have put the minimal amount of effort into their mac software - just enough to such a few more dollars out of their users. I got sick of it, so I switched. I would encourage everyone to not pay for this repackaged code fom five years ago with no new features or refinements and pick from the other banking software that is out there for the Mac. I switched to iBank about five months ago and have been very happy with it. Use their 30 day free trial - by the end of that timeframe, I was comfortable using it and bought it and haven't thought of going back to Quicken.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    So, any word on how it was "reengineered"? Is it 100% the same features and functions as the original 2007 had, or was anything left out or disabled because it was too hard to make it Lion compatible?

At least on thing appears to have changed:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

can import and convert data from Quicken Mac 2005, 2006 or 2007 or Quicken Essentials 2010.

Obviously QE 2010 did't exist when 2007 was released, but it can import the new programs files.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Intuit recommends that "new Quicken customers should choose Quicken Essentials for Mac to get started," rather than getting the updated 2007 version with more expert features.

That recommendation does not bode well for the future of the more full-featured version. They are either going to only add features to the Essentials version or let both version stagnate.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    zebrazebra Posts: 35member
    We gave up on Quickbooks Pro and Quicken in our small business about 10 years ago and switched to MYOB. It was clear then, and made more clear every year that they dabble with Mac software development. We don't see this developer ever developing software that is on par with the PC version.

It surprises me that any Mac user would even consider an Intuit program. They will never keep up with Mac OS development. We recommend that anyone using a Mac view Intuit as strictly a Windows developer. Why settle for being treated as a second class citizen?

If you run Bootcamp or Parallels using Windows, then go for it. But from where we sit, their software just isn't worth the trouble.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Dear Quicken,

I'm leaving, actually I've been gone for a while. I know you noticed something was different. And no, I don't check in once in a while because the flame is still there, it's just to see if my new, er, my new friend is really as awesome by comparison as it seems. Yep. I'm with iBank now. My iMac and my iPhone are synched, so you can stop sending me mints, as if that would ever synch.

I feel so used. It was good at first, waaaay back in the day. And then after you told me that you were buying Mint and you promised you would change this time, I BELIEVED you (sniff, sniff). iBank knows how to treat me right. In the time I wrote this, I was downloading an update of "Minor fixes and improvements for tax season" from the App Store. If you had made just a little more effort, I might not have longed for more. But it's too late for that now. Ok, I'm sorry, I really don't mean to go away mad. I'm sure I'm partly to blame. Maybe if I'd known how to make all my update and usability requests in your love language, I don't know. Anyway....

SEE YA!!!!!! hahahahahhaha
  • Reply 11 of 56
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zebra View Post

We gave up on Quickbooks Pro and Quicken in our small business about 10 years ago and switched to MYOB. It was clear then, and made more clear every year that they dabble with Mac software development. We don't see this developer ever developing software that is on par with the PC version.

It surprises me that any Mac user would even consider an Intuit program. They will never keep up with Mac OS development. We recommend that anyone using a Mac view Intuit as strictly a Windows developer. Why settle for being treated as a second class citizen?

If you run Bootcamp or Parallels using Windows, then go for it. But from where we sit, their software just isn't worth the trouble.

From what I've heard the new version of MYOB is hideous and is turning a lot of people away.

I know a few businesses using MoneyWorks Gold which pretty much seems to do most things Quicken does. I'm not to sure about internet banking though because Internet Banking in New Zealand is pretty much log into a website and download a QIF or CSV file which MoneyWorks handles without any troubles.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Wow... all 10 Quicken for Mac users have already posted a comment...
  • Reply 13 of 56
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    I know that folks like to bash quicken. I've used it since 1992, as well as MacInTax (now TurboTax).

I currently have Quicken 2006 and have kept my 15 month old machine at 10.6.x. For those of us that have many years of data invested in Quicken heralding back to the days of System 6.8, it's welcoming that Intuit decided to allow us a compatible route.

Do I think there are better applications out there? Sure. But some times, an application is just 'good enough' for what lots of folks use from a core functionality perspective.

Can those like me learn something else? Sure - but in a busy life I'd rather spend my time invested in other non-financial applications pursuits.

So - let the poison darts fly, but I say "THANK YOU INTUIT".
  • Reply 14 of 56
    You should see what happens when you try to run QuickBOOKS on Snow Leopard. It's hilarious.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    cmfilmscmfilms Posts: 20member

Intuit can stick it. I spent days loading my business records into Quicken, only to find out that it can't share records with TurboTax.

Yes, you read that right. Intuit's two programs cannot share info. A huge massive waste of time and money.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    mkralmkral Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

You should see what happens when you try to run QuickBOOKS on Snow Leopard. It's hilarious.

Tell us, what happens? I've been running Quickbooks on Snow Leopard since it came out & it works fine for me.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    I meant to say QuickBOOKS 2007 on 10.6. 2007 seems to be a very popular year for Intuit Mac software.

Anyway, when you open your data in QB2007, something wonderful happens. Every numerical field is filled in with completely random numbers. Clicking on those numbers causes them to disappear. The program is completely unusable in Snow Leopard. And it fails in the most spectacular way possible.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wanderso View Post

I know that folks like to bash quicken. I've used it since 1992, as well as MacInTax (now TurboTax).

I currently have Quicken 2006 and have kept my 15 month old machine at 10.6.x. For those of us that have many years of data invested in Quicken heralding back to the days of System 6.8, it's welcoming that Intuit decided to allow us a compatible route.

Do I think there are better applications out there? Sure. But some times, an application is just 'good enough' for what lots of folks use from a core functionality perspective.

Can those like me learn something else? Sure - but in a busy life I'd rather spend my time invested in other non-financial applications pursuits.

So - let the poison darts fly, but I say "THANK YOU INTUIT".

Completely agree. It's been 5 years since Quicken 2007 came out & so far no one even comes close to being able to replace it for me. You'd think that one of the other accounting software packages would have passed it by, but every one of them has their own quirks & in the end, none of them works as well as Quicken does (for my uses). I gladly paid the $15 (As one of the other posters mentioned, it's $15 over 5 years, so I can't really complain) so that now I can finally upgrade to Lion. Been stuck on Snow Leopard because i can't find another accounting software package that I like. The update is bare-bones for sure. They didn't even fix the error on the calendar where the most recent year you can choose is 2009. You can still get to this month, but it shows the year as 1999. Oh well, at least I can still continue using it for the time being.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

I meant to say QuickBOOKS 2007 on 10.6. 2007 seems to be a very popular year for Intuit Mac software.

Anyway, when you open your data in QB2007, something wonderful happens. Every numerical field is filled in with completely random numbers. Clicking on those numbers causes them to disappear. The program is completely unusable in Snow Leopard. And it fails in the most spectacular way possible.

That sucks! I'm on QB 2009 & it works great, but I agree, that would piss me off. I also have 2010 & 2012, but both of them are much slower than 2009, and don't add any great new features, so I stick with 2009 for day to day use.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkral View Post

Completely agree. It's been 5 years since Quicken 2007 came out & so far no one even comes close to being able to replace it for me. You'd think that one of the other accounting software packages would have passed it by, but every one of them has their own quirks & in the end, none of them works as well as Quicken does (for my uses). I gladly paid the $15 (As one of the other posters mentioned, it's $15 over 5 years, so I can't really complain) so that now I can finally upgrade to Lion. Been stuck on Snow Leopard because i can't find another accounting software package that I like. The update is bare-bones for sure. They didn't even fix the error on the calendar where the most recent year you can choose is 2009. You can still get to this month, but it shows the year as 1999. Oh well, at least I can still continue using it for the time being.

Congrats, now you get to discover that Lion kinda sucks too