Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    iplaidiplaid Posts: 10member
    So much for Googarola...
  • Reply 22 of 83
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android has failed miserably with their first 100 or so tablets, why not make it 101?

Google is eager to get something out there and this will be their answer to get some sort of tablet out to the market place in order to compete with the Kindle Fire. This means nothing at all to Apple, and we'll see two cheap, low end tablets going at each other, desperately competing for a few crumbs in the over saturated and boring Android tablet market, which primarily attracts customers who don't demand much from their tech devices and people who don't have much means. It's basically a losing proposition.

Apple could shut down their R&D for an entire year, and the other clowns would still be way behind. That's exactly what the world needs, yet another 7 inch Android tablet.

My greatest fear is opening up my new iPad next week, playing with it for a few minutes and getting upset because my $99 touchpad running Android 4.0 is more usable, while the iPad feels a little too much like the iPad 2 I sold late last year. While the touchpad may not have the polished interface, features like flash and direct file management are some I wish the iPad had.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Don't worry. iPad users wonder how Android users put up with having to use SD cards and wires to watch content on their TVs.

They probably put up with it with the realization that for $499 (or $399) iPad + $100 Apple TV you can buy a cheap android tablet along with couple hundred GBs of microSD cards and a handful of spare hdmi cables. That and it works everywhere, rather than only places where airplay video is supported. maybe more codec support too? I guess you could always lug around an AppleTV box but that is more of a pain than carrying a cable.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Don't worry. iPad users wonder how Android users put up with having to use SD cards and wires to watch content on their TVs.

I have low priced Asus 11" netbook (no, it was a gift!) and it is so horrible that not even my kids want to use it. The build quality is shite, truly.

Maybe it is unfair to base my view of Asus on this one product, but this drive to the bottom is a problem. It would seem good for consumers at first but as the market becomes flooded with junk, then not so much. For the manufacturers it must be depressing at best.

If Apple brings out a 7.8" iPad with a starting price point of, say $299.- one would wonder if the 100 dollar saving would be worth it.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I imagine 3 guys from ASUS and 1 from Google slapsticking this POS together. "Tablet of the highest quality"? Please
  • Reply 26 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think there was anything couldn't have already suspected due to leaks and general tech progress. The event solidified the changes but they should have been working to find a viable product long before Wednesday. That said, Asus's HW products are great, it's the dang OS that is pulling Apple's competition down and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The hardware is surprisingly nice, my friend has a ASUS Transformer Prime and I was thoroughly impressed until he told me that the ICS update made his screen glitchy. A collaboration of Google and ASUS makes sense but a 7" tablet does not.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    That cobranding thing could have legs.

The Yugo Pinto

Syrian Iran

Adolf Tojo

Pork Bagels

The Googly Assus Tablette
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

They probably put up with it with the realization that for $499 (or $399) iPad + $100 Apple TV you can buy a cheap android tablet along with couple hundred GBs of microSD cards and a handful of spare hdmi cables. That and it works everywhere, rather than only places where airplay video is supported. maybe more codec support too? I guess you could always lug around an AppleTV box but that is more of a pain than carrying a cable.

Yes, however does anyone "lug" (as in: "to carry laboriously") around a device that is 4" x 4" and weights a whopping .6 lbs. Why it practically requires you to be a superman just to "lug" it around. Do you have noodle arms or something?
  • Reply 29 of 83
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

That cobranding thing could have legs.

The Yugo Pinto

Syrian Iran

Adolf Tojo

Pork Bagels

The Googly Assus Tablette

Totally off topic and unrelated to this story, but...

Speaking of co-branding, has anyone noticed how much Facebook is pushing Bing these days. When you sign out from Facebook you are met with a Bing Facebook page.

On topic... whatever happened to Motorola? Really.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdav View Post

We "get by" with iCloud, DropBox and Airplay.

Sounds about right. Oh and on the rare occasion, my old camera connection kit. Plus I wonder if he knows that there is a very practical and rather small HDMI adapter that works just fine with that iPad. For occasions without Airplay
  • Reply 31 of 83
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Totally off topic and unrelated to this story, but...

Speaking of co-branding, has anyone noticed how much Facebook is pushing Bing these days. When you sign out from Facebook you are met with a Bing Facebook page.

On topic... whatever happened to Motorola? Really.

When google unveiled its plans to purchase motorola, it stated that the hardware side of moto would be ran as a separate company, or something to that effect. So this will seem to be inline with that claim.

That said, I do think ASUS is the logical choice for this. They have had experiences with android tablets before, they are relatively good about keeping android AOSP, or as close to AOSP as you're going to get. And they have been quick on the updates, unlike every other manufacturer out there. Couple that with the fact that they have a great rep on HW, especially with the enthusiast community, and I can definitely understand why Google chose them for a nexus tablet.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    Quote:

Or they could use this (and it works with iPhones and iPod Touches too):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...de=MTc0MjU4NjE
  • Reply 33 of 83
    While an SD card slot would be nice, the complete package matters more. I'm sure Motorola knows that not much can be more embarrassing than the Xoom whose SD card slot didn't even work. Throwing in all these features but then having an unpolished OS and mostly crap apps isn't as compelling as many fandroids would have people think. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of average users don't even use all the built-in storage of their devices as it is so while, as I said before, it would be a nice addition it's not a killer feature.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    sticknicksticknick Posts: 123member
    Quote:

My greatest fear is opening up my new iPad next week, playing with it for a few minutes and getting upset because my $99 touchpad running Android 4.0 is more usable, while the iPad feels a little too much like the iPad 2 I sold late last year. While the touchpad may not have the polished interface, features like flash and direct file management are some I wish the iPad had.

Ummm... you do know that Adobe has officially killed FlashPlayer for mobile right? Flash is no longer a "feature" in anything mobile including Android.

As for direct file management: to each their own I guess. Personally I see that "feature" going the way of Flash in the next five years on everything except workstations and servers.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

When google unveiled its plans to purchase motorola, it stated that the hardware side of moto would be ran as a separate company, or something to that effect. So this will seem to be inline with that claim.

Asus is a separate company... Google could have chosen Motorola in the same manner. Appearances, I guess.

If I was a shareholder in Google I'd be a little upset about a $12.5 billion purchase of a phone/tablet manufacturer and then seeing more effort put into a project with Asus than with the company that is being purchased... regardless of appearances.

... and, yes, Asus is a good choice.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

Ummm... you do know that Adobe has officially killed FlashPlayer for mobile right? Flash is no longer a "feature" in anything mobile including Android.

As for direct file management: to each their own I guess. Personally I see that "feature" going the way of Flash in the next five years on everything except workstations and servers.

no longer actively developing/updating and killing are not the same thing...Flash works fine on ICS
  • Reply 37 of 83
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

While an SD card slot would be nice, the complete package matters more. I'm sure Motorola knows that not much can be more embarrassing than the Xoom whose SD card slot didn't even work. Throwing in all these features but then having an unpolished OS and mostly crap apps isn't as compelling as many fandroids would have people think. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of average users don't even use all the built-in storage of their devices as it is so while, as I said before, it would be a nice addition it's not a killer feature.

I definitely agree with the complete package, but I think an SD card slot is more about being able to quickly transfer data on and off the device (especially in a tablet) than it is about expanding internal storage. One of my big grips with apple devices is its inability to be mounted as a USB mass storage device. Moving data on and off can become a hassle around devices without itunes. Now this can be handled through the cloud for always connected devices (ie. Iphone), but its still an issue with ipods and ipads.

An SD card slot would be great in that regards imo. Tho I would rather have the ability to mount as a USB drive.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

You're on the right track, but off-center just a tad. It's still a feature for Android, and in fact was just recently updated for Android 4.x (ICS) compatibility. It is on the way out at some point tho with I think Adobe announcing they don't have future update plans.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...be.flashplayer
  • Reply 39 of 83
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That's rich ....

Oh, wait --they're serious ?!?
  • Reply 40 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPlaid View Post

So much for Googarola...

Motoroogle.

Though that sounds like Roto-rooter, so they'd probably get into trouble. Or find a new use for their devices.