Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

18910111214»

Comments

  • asciiascii Posts: 5,363member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    Mountain Lion is not a Mac OS X OS upgrade, it's nothing more than an "iPad apps for Lion" app pack.



    I can see how you would get that impression looking at Apple's highlight reel, but they have also said it's 100+ new features, and I think you'll find the other 90 are the "usual" OS upgrade stuff.
  • ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    Mountain Lion is not a Mac OS X OS upgrade, it's nothing more than an "iPad apps for Lion" app pack.



    Do you mean "sw_vers" returns 10.7.3 on ML?
  • pondosinatrapondosinatra Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    ...

    Or are we just a big shiny $2500 cell phone now?



    ^This
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,899member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post


    ^This



    ^is abject nonsense.
  • alexmitalexmit Posts: 106member
    I still regret my update to Lion. I'm a professional user and have been for over a decade. I'm not just browsing the web and playing with iLife or MS word. It is time for an upgrade from my 2009 quad core 2.66 mac pro with 16GB of Ram and 4TB of storage. I guess all I'd need is the newer hardware, not more ram or storage. I have played with Lion on brand new machines and am not impressed though. It feels like a buggy step backward with a lot of things that still need fixing. Now they are going to release another OS upgrade when Lion still feels broken?
  • half nelsonhalf nelson Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post


    I still regret my update to Lion. I'm a professional user and have been for over a decade. I'm not just browsing the web and playing with iLife or MS word. It is time for an upgrade from my 2009 quad core 2.66 mac pro with 16GB of Ram and 4TB of storage. I guess all I'd need is the newer hardware, not more ram or storage. I have played with Lion on brand new machines and am not impressed though. It feels like a buggy step backward with a lot of things that still need fixing. Now they are going to release another OS upgrade when Lion still feels broken?



    I agree! I still miss Snow Leopard. Especially on my dual screen setup. I have a separate iPad for a reason, I don't want my 27" i7 to become a glorified iPad in the way I interact with it. Snow Leopard gestures were amazing, Lion just feels overdone and chaotic. Two fingers perform a certain action in one app that it takes three fingers to perform in another app. I would be ok with Lion if it simply gave the option for classic spaces/expose function.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post


    I agree! I still miss Snow Leopard. Especially on my dual screen setup. I have a separate iPad for a reason, I don't want my 27" i7 to become a glorified iPad in the way I interact with it.



    So the iPad is glorified iPod Touch, and now the Mac is a glorified iPad, so the Mac is a glorified iPod Touch?



    Quote:

    Snow Leopard gestures were amazing, Lion just feels overdone and chaotic.



    It's not more chaotic, it's much more refined. Wasn't it a 3 or 4 finger swipe to activate Spaces in SL?



    Quote:

    Two fingers perform a certain action in one app that it takes three fingers to perform in another app.



    The same actions work the same across the board.



    Quote:

    I would be ok with Lion if it simply gave the option for classic spaces/expose function.



    You aren't going to get Spaces back. Mission Control is a better system. You still have Exposé with the caveat that it also invokes that new Spaces system that is Mission Control. It's a better system. You also still have Hot Corners.
  • ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post


    I agree! I still miss Snow Leopard. Especially on my dual screen setup. I have a separate iPad for a reason, I don't want my 27" i7 to become a glorified iPad in the way I interact with it. Snow Leopard gestures were amazing, Lion just feels overdone and chaotic. Two fingers perform a certain action in one app that it takes three fingers to perform in another app. I would be ok with Lion if it simply gave the option for classic spaces/expose function.



    Regarding gestures, I work both with SL and Lion, so I needed to set the gestures in the same way so that they work in both systems. It wasn't straightforward to achieve, but I finally succeeded, except for the "show desktop" gesture, which in SL is 4 fingers up, and in Lion 4 fingers separating.



    I think they could have offered the same set of gestures in SL and Lion.
  • ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    You still have Exposé with the caveat that it also invokes that new Spaces system that is Mission Control. It's a better system. You also still have Hot Corners.



    Disagree. This isn't Exposé, because it only shows the windows of the current application, unlike the real Exposé, which showed all windows. I've made several mistakes when using Lion, because of the confusion generated with this new behavior. Also, Mission Control shows all windows, but stacked, so it's very hard to chose the window you want when an app has several windows. You've to use first Mission Control to select the app, and then Exposé to select the window (or click the app in the dock and then choose the window with Exposé), while in SL it was just Exposé (a drag and a click). The previous system was easier, simpler, and quicker to use.
  • habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    What's wrong with it?



    The address book is so wrong on so many levels that its better to ask whats good about it compared to the version before?



    Answer: Nothing!!!
  • hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 11,871member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post


    The address book is so wrong on so many levels that its better to ask whats good about it compared to the version before?



    Answer: Nothing!!!



    You didn't answer his question. You just engaged in another rant. I think the biggest issue that I read with the new address book was the lack of a 3 pane view. That's thankfully coming back in ML



    I've still yet to read a decent reason why Mission Control is worse than Exposè and Spaces.



    I loved Exposè like many but felt it really didn't scale well when you had a whole bunch of windows. They got too small IMO.



    Now with MC I've got my Spaces layed out horizontally running full screen apps and my windowed apps have more room to let me see the content when scaled.



    I know old habits die hard but I think overall Apple made the right decision here.
  • cabeachguycabeachguy Posts: 2member
    I've looked and looked and have not been able to come up with answers for these two feature needs. I'm in the professional audio business and we sell a 32" touchscreen specifically designed/configured for DAW (digital audio workstation) applications.(www.DAWtouchDOTcom).



    The two things users ask us at trade shows and industry events are:

    Will Mountain Lion have multi-finger (10 finger) touch support? Mixing consoles have 16-96 faders, and mixing engineers have 10 fingers that they use simultaneously when mixing, particularly in live use or in mixdown for recording sessions. I would think that with Win 8 (WinTouch) hitting the streets soon, Apple would be jumping on this as well, particularly given that Apple owns Logic, one of the two leading DAW applications.



    Will Mountain Lion support pressure sensitive touch? My XP Thinkpad that is 5 years old has this built in, while my new MBP doesn't have it. I've looked at the message boards and people have been asking for pressure sensitivity on the MBP trackpad for at least 3 years, but Apple has not once responded to the end user requests for this feature implementation into MBP trackpads.



    Many buttons in the physical world (like on mixing consoles) have multiple function levels depending on how hard you push the button. Tapping 3 times to get the same function is definitely not the same as just pushing "deeply" once to get to the function in an instant. Not offering the function, or offering it via a change in workflow is not acceptable to users. They'd rather just stick to their analog gear that allows them to work fast and get projects completed fast for their paying clients, instead of switching over to the "newer, better, digital way" of doing things that requires them to change their workflow to a slower methodology.
  • ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cabeachguy View Post


    Will Mountain Lion have multi-finger (10 finger) touch support



    This is already available on Lion, and I believe it's available on Snow Leopard as well. Maybe there're no apps that use it, but the software is there: Just install MagicPrefs, turn on the preview, and begin to put fingers over your Magic Trackpad: I've been able to track my ten fingers. Maybe it can track even more, but didn't have a colleague nearby for trying it



    So, yes, the low-level API for multitouch can track 10 fingers if you wish so.
Sign In or Register to comment.