Apple to spend $304M on new Austin, Tex., campus, creating 3600 new jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple plans to invest $304 million on a new campus in Austin that will create 3,600 new jobs and double the size of its workforce in Texas.

Apple's plans were revealed on Friday by the office of Gov. Rick Perry, which revealed the state will award Apple $21 million over 10 years through the Texas Enterprise Fund. In return, Apple will expand its customer support, sales and accounting functions in the region.

"Apple is known for its bold innovation and game-changing designs, and the expansion of their Austin facility adds to the growing list of visionary high-tech companies that have found that Texas' economic climate is a perfect fit for their future, thanks to our low taxes, reasonable and predictable regulations, fair legal system and skilled workforce" Perry said. "Investments like this further Texas' potential to become the nation's next high-tech hub."

The Texas Enterprise Fund offers companies incentives to invest in Texas. The new partnership with Apple will be one of the largest job creation initiatives in TEF history, and one of the largest capital investments by a TEF recipient.

The deal hinges on finalized contracts, as well as a local incentive agreement that must be approved by the city of Austin, and Travis County.

The TEF was created by the Texas Legislature in 2003, and funding was re-appropriated for the program in 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011. TEF projects must be approved by the state's governor, lieutenant governor and speaker of the house.

The governor's office said TEF has become one of the state's most competitive tools to recruit and bolster business. To date, the fund has invested more than $443.4 million to help generate more than 62,000 new jobs and $15.4 billion in capital investment.

The announcement comes as Apple is gearing up to open a new retail store next week in Houston at the Highland Village Shopping Center. The store will open next Friday, March 16, the same day the third-generation iPad will go on sale.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Here we go with all the complaints about TX 'giving money' to Apple.......
  • Reply 2 of 89
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's just a matter of time. Luckily, I've got my popcorn ready.

Can't wait to see the spin on this one.
  • Reply 3 of 89
    Apple is bolstering its law department to counter all of the patent trolling coming from East Texas...
  • Reply 4 of 89
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's just a matter of time. Luckily, I've got my popcorn ready.

Can't wait to see the spin on this one.

It doesn't surprise me. North Carolina gave Apple a bundle to build the center there. Most, if not all states, do the same thing--as long as they have any money to spend!

I'd still like to know what this facility will be used for. Tech support? Manufacturing? Nothing was said in this article.
  • Reply 5 of 89
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    In other news from the area, a certain east Texas court house seems to be missing ....
  • Reply 6 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

It doesn't surprise me. North Carolina gave Apple a bundle to build the center there. Most, if not all states, do the same thing--as long as they have any money to spend!

I'd still like to know what this facility will be used for. Tech support? Manufacturing? Nothing was said in this article.

I guess you missed the second paragraph:

Quote:

Apple will expand its customer support, sales and accounting functions in the region.

• Reply 7 of 89
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Never thought I'd see Apple and Rick Perry in a sentence together. I vomited a bit.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess a $100 billion in the bank doesn't stop you taking all the state handouts you can get.
  • Reply 9 of 89
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    Sounds like a good investment by Texas to me. Apple cannot change the way they do business or else that profit margin of theirs will shrink fast.
  • Reply 10 of 89
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I guess a $100 billion in the bank doesn't stop you taking all the state handouts you can get.

The best way to keep that $100 billion safely in the bank is to spend as little of it as possible.... If handouts are being offered then Apple would be foolish not to use them.
  • Reply 11 of 89
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In return, Apple will expand its customer support, sales and accounting functions in the region.

Sounds like a big call center. It is their decision to make, but it would have been nice to see another commitment from Apple to build something like this in another rural community.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple is bolstering its law department to counter all of the patent trolling coming from East Texas...

The trolling does not come from East Texas. It is a Federal District Court, not a state court. Most of the plaintiffs are not based in Texas.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Never thought I'd see Apple and Rick Perry in a sentence together. I vomited a bit.

Wait until "O" takes credit for the job creation, then you'll have a lot of vomit...

Nevertheless, good news for job seekers in Texas.

/

/

/
  • Reply 14 of 89
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    the only question is, why did it take so long to move out of california?

moving from a pro union, super liberal giveaway state to a state that is growing jobs

at a terrific pace, is most natural. calif has the highest gas prices, highest taxes and, imo, the most politicians per person.

now they need other right to work states to move to.
  • Reply 15 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Yep. Right on cue.

Sorry, but I don't see how "if you spend $304 M create thousands of jobs, and pay many millions of dollars in taxes, we'll give you back $2.1 M per year for 10 years" constitutes taking a state handout.
  • Reply 16 of 89
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

moving from a pro union, super liberal giveaway state to a state that is growing jobs

at a terrific pace, is most natural. calif has the highest gas prices, highest taxes and, imo, the most politicians per person.

Apple's had a campus in Austin for quite some time. This is just a plan to expand it.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

They aren't moving out of California. Did you miss the news about the huge new headquarters office building they are planning for Cupertino? This Texas facility is just a cubicle farm for people not involved in the creative efforts of the company.
  • Reply 18 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

The trolling does not come from East Texas. It is a Federal District Court, not a state court. Most of the plaintiffs are not based in Texas.

No shit, Einstein.

... but I'm sure that most people on here knew what I meant (except you, of course).
  • Reply 19 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Apple's had a campus in Austin for quite some time. This is just a plan to expand it.

Right! And Austin has long been a high tech center for many other top tier companies as well, so there is a great labor pool of engineers to poach from already in place.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    Since Apple is building the mothership in Cupertino, they should also design a scaled down version, a.k.a. "the daughtership"

The should make all their future regional offices daughterships.