Apple to spend $304M on new Austin, Tex., campus, creating 3600 new jobs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

the only question is, why did it take so long to move out of california?

moving from a pro union, super liberal giveaway state to a state that is growing jobs

at a terrific pace, is most natural. calif has the highest gas prices, highest taxes and, imo, the most politicians per person.

now they need other right to work states to move to.

That super liberal state is attractive to the kind of open-minded people who develop new ideas. Ever notice the products all say "Designed by Apple in California"? The super liberal state is where the mouse was invented. It's where Intel, Oracle, Facebook, Google, Tesla, and Pixar are.

Texas has an authoritarian culture that results in companies that don't think outside the box, like Dell or Compaq. It's fine for a call center or an accounting services hub, but not for hardware design or software development of the kind Apple does.

So if you are really so right-wing as you sound, you need to come to terms with the fact that Apple is the product of a liberal culture, and try to figure out why that might be. If you like Apple, maybe you need to drop some of your prejudices and let out your inner liberal...
  • Reply 22 of 89
    [QUOTE=rob53;2067547

I'd still like to know what this facility will be used for. Tech support? Manufacturing? Nothing was said in this article.[/QUOTE]

The third sentence says "Apple will expand its customer support, sales and accounting functions in the region."
  • Reply 23 of 89
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Rick Perry LOVES AMERICA!

cracks me up every time I see it! lol
  • Reply 24 of 89
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

The best way to keep that $100 billion safely in the bank is to spend as little of it as possible.... If handouts are being offered then Apple would be foolish not to use them.

I don't blame them for taking the money. Interesting debate. State aid/intervention to secure jobs in your state. Does that still classify as capitalism? I thought the Republicans where against spending government money like this, unless of course your running for President
  • Reply 25 of 89
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Never thought I'd see Apple and Rick Perry in a sentence together. I vomited a bit.

Huh?

Whats not to like about Taxes.

Pretty much no taxes.

You can buy a 5,000SF house on a golf course for ~$500k.

People are polite and have manners.

Government leaves you alone more less.

The legislature is only part time so they don't see the need to pass frivolous laws to make it seem like they are busy.

Gas averages $3.06 per gallon while CA is at $4.35 per gallon.

You have the right to protect yourself, your family, and your property.

What am I missing?
  • Reply 26 of 89
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

That super liberal state is attractive to the kind of open-minded people who develop new ideas. Ever notice the products all say "Designed by Apple in California"? The super liberal state is where the mouse was invented. It's where Intel, Oracle, Facebook, Google, Tesla, and Pixar are.

And they were founded years ago, the hardware makers generally being spinoffs of companies like HP, Varian, Fairchild and others dating back as far as the 1930s.

There is no question that California has become increasingly hostile to businesses operating in the state, and it's not getting better. More and more companies are either moving out, or limiting any expansion to areas outside California.

A pity, really, it's a beautiful state with (still) enormous resources, both natural and human. I've lived here all my life, more than 60 years, and I don't think I'll be able to stay much longer.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Huh?

Pretty much no taxes.

You can buy a 5,000SF house on a golf course for ~$500k.

The legislature is only part time so they don't see the need to pass frivolous laws to make it seem like they are busy.

Gas averages $3.06 per gallon while CA is at $4.35 per gallon.

What am I missing?

Everything apparently. I have lived in Texas my whole life and it really is a place full of narrow minded, belligerent people who are irrationally afraid of government. We have high pollution, high poverty, high hunger rates and businesses that are abusive of their employees. All made possible by the best state government money can buy.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:

The 'liberalness' of it has nothing to do with it.

These companies are in the valley because that is where they started.

They stated there back in the day because it was near Stanford and US Berkeley.

It has nothing to do with the state being liberal.

Quote:

Texas has an authoritarian culture that results in companies that don't think outside the box, like Dell or Compaq. It's fine for a call center or an accounting services hub, but not for hardware design or software development of the kind Apple does.

Huh? It is progressive policies that are authoritarian.

Restricting state regulation of medical marijuana? Progressive policy enacted by the expansion of the commerce clause user the king daddy progressive FDR.

Requiring a private citizen to buy a private product with private funds from a private sector company for private use or face possible jail time? Sounds pretty authoritarian to me.

Telling fast food companies they cannot buy a top in fast food meals?

Telling individuals they cannot have the choice to get a plastic bag even if they recycle them and/or reused them in their homes?

Quote:

So if you are really so right-wing as you sound, you need to come to terms with the fact that Apple is the product of a liberal culture, and try to figure out why that might be. If you like Apple, maybe you need to drop some of your prejudices and let out your inner liberal...

LOL
  • Reply 29 of 89
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yep. Right on cue.

Sorry, but I don't see how "if you spend $304 M create thousands of jobs, and pay many millions of dollars in taxes, we'll give you back $2.1 M per year for 10 years" constitutes taking a state handout.

I don't know how the US system works. Does a company like Apple pay state or federal taxes? If they make $50bn in sales across the US do they still pay all their company tax in California?
  • Reply 30 of 89
    Quote:

California was NOT "super liberal" when most of those companies started, and a lot of the high tech business development in the region has more to do with the fact that there's already a critical mass of talent living and working in the area, rather than the liberal wacko policies of the state.

The important point of this story is that California is losing another big round of job creation to other states...jobs that have good reason to stay in California. The state is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, far more companies are leaving the state than are coming in (CA is consistently rated one of the worst climates for business in the country) and yet the liberal wacko legislature can only bring itself to raise taxes further, rather than cutting down the government's size.

Pretty soon we're going to reach a tipping point, where California can't borrow any more money to pay for all its spending or rely on federal bailouts, and then we'll see what the real product of a liberal culture looks like.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Sounds like a big call center. It is their decision to make, but it would have been nice to see another commitment from Apple to build something like this in another rural community.

Putting a data center in a rural area is not very difficult - you only need a small staff. Putting a customer service and accounting center there is much more difficult, as it is hard to staff. I.e. Getting 3600 accountants, sales, etc... people to move to Austin (or who already live there) is much easier than convincing 3600 people to move to a town of 3300 in the middle of nowhere...

I have nothing against small towns, but the fact is staffing tends to be much easier in cities and Austin has a big talent pool to draw from.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member
    Quote:

Huh?

I live in Texas, so let me address your statements.

Quote:

Pretty much no taxes.

No income tax, but very high property taxes.

Quote:

Some are polite, others are raving lunatics. Pretty much like most places.

Quote:

Except when they make intrusive laws like the sonogram requirement for abortions that mandates a medically unnecessary procedure against the will of the doctor and patient.

Quote:

See previous response.

Quote:

Just like every other place in the US.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

California was NOT "super liberal" when most of those companies started,

However, those companies were mostly started by young college grads during a time of extreme liberal upsurge in popular culture, music, science, art, creativity and writing, which was born from a subculture that had very little to do with any political leaning one way or the other. Predominately, young people at the time, were philosophically opposed to all forms of government.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Requiring a private citizen to buy a private product with private funds from a private sector company for private use or face possible jail time? Sounds pretty authoritarian to me.

An idea first proposed by the conservative Heritage Foundation and first implemented by Republican Governor Mitt Romney!

Quote:

Telling individuals they cannot have the choice to get a plastic bag even if they recycle them and/or reused them in their homes?

While we're at it, what right does government have to keep individuals from dumping pollutants into the nearest river? WHY DO THEY HATE FREEDOM?!?!?!
  • Reply 35 of 89
    zberniezbernie Posts: 37member
    Definitely a win-win situation for Apple and Texas. Kudos to Rick Perry for continuing to create a hospitable environment for job growth. Regardless of what the mainstream media's attempted brainwashing to the contrary.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Some are polite, others are raving lunatics. Pretty much like most places.

This is the South. And we're proud of our crazy people. We don't hide them up in the attic, we bring them right down to the living room and show them off. No one in the South ask IF you have crazy people in your family, they just ask which side they're on. - Julia Sugarbaker,

Sorry, this just reminded me of that scene in Designing Women. Carry on.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zBernie View Post

Definitely a win-win situation for Apple and Texas. Kudos to Rick Perry for continuing to create a hospitable environment for job growth. Regardless of what the mainstream media's attempted brainwashing to the contrary.

People in Austin and Travis County apparently did not vote for him nearly as much as the state of Texas as a whole.

Here is some interesting reading regarding many comparisons including education, income and political affiliations.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html
  • Reply 38 of 89
    Quote:

The 'liberalness' of it has nothing to do with it.

These companies are in the valley because that is where they started.

They stated there back in the day because it was near Stanford and US Berkeley.

It has nothing to do with the state being liberal...

Oh, and I thought a university education was for snobs and liberal elitism, and that Berkely in particular was a hotbed of communism, and so on. If I had a dime for every conservative insult for universities of that kind that I've seen, I'd be richer than Romney.

It's really funny you think being next to Stamford and Berkeley is unrelated to "liberalness". Even the man himself declared Apple to be at the crossroads of Liberal Arts and Technology.

If it's just a coincidence, why not Texas A&M? It's all the same right? No, it's not.

But I am not being generous with Texas. They do have creative companies. really! Look at how creative Enron was. Too bad it was creative at coming up with ways to cheat people, and states, like California, out of billions of dollars.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I don't know how the US system works. Does a company like Apple pay state or federal taxes? If they make $50bn in sales across the US do they still pay all their company tax in California?

It depends.

Federal corporate income tax - doesn't matter where it's paid

State corporate income tax - paid by each separate corporate entity. If Apple creates (or already has) a separate subsidiary in TX, then that subsidiary would pay state income tax (if any)

Property tax - paid to the area where the property is located (this is a big one for TX)

Wage taxes and employee income taxes - paid where the employee works (usually)

Sales taxes - paid in the state where the item was purchased or sold
  • Reply 40 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

People in Austin and Travis County apparently did not vote for him nearly as much as the state of Texas as a whole.

Here is some interesting reading regarding many comparisons including education, income and political affiliations.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

Yup, Austin is a good city. I'll give you that much. Texas is very big and Texas stereotypes don't apply everywhere.

I just think it's funny that California is being attacked for the very qualities that made it Apple's birthplace.