Apple will close iWork.com and delete user documents on July 31, 2012

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014

Apple's new iCloud suite will officially replace iWork.com on July 31, 2012, at which point users will no longer be able to access their documents from the site.

In an e-mail sent to users of the iWork.com public beta on Friday, Apple informed participants that they should begin migrating to iCloud. Apple has recommended that users sign in to iWork.com before July 31 to download all of their documents to their computer.

In addition, Apple has created a support document available on its website, informing users that the iWork.com public beta will be discontinued in July. There, Apple offers a list of instructions on how to download documents from the website.

"Last year, we launched iCloud, a service that stores your music, photos, documents, and more and wirelessly pushes them to all your devices," Apple's e-mail reads. "Today, there are over 40 million documents stored on iCloud by millions of iWork customers."

The iWork.com service launched in beta in early 2009. At the time, it was aimed at making it easier for iWork users on the Mac to collaborate with others using Windows and Microsoft Office.

Since then, the iWork suite of applications has also become available on iOS, with Pages, Numbers and Keynote among the most popular downloads on the iPad App Store.

The iWork suite and iOS5 also offers integration with the iCloud service, which launched last October. At the iCloud.com website, users can access their up-to-date iWork documents, synced through iCloud's Documents & Data service.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    That sound suspiciously like their current estimated launch date for Mountain Lion.

Nice.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Makes sense.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    Hopefully the iWork Mac apps will be updated to work with iCloud soon.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

Hopefully the iWork Mac apps will be updated to work with iCloud soon.

Not likely. At least not in the sense that you imply.

iWork.com was for collaborative/group online editing/markup.

iCloud documents are only available to the individual.

It seems unlikely that they will introduce some kind of mickey mouse "permission to look at my private documents" kind of feature into the desperately simple iCloud setup. It would make it janky and overly complex just for the small minority of users who want to share access to a small subset of their documents.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    I got this email too - While I'm certainly glad to see the iWork apps supporting Cloud storage, I did occasionally use (and found helpful) the collaboration functionality of iWork.com. It was nice uploading documents for people on my team who did not have access to Pages and for them to comment on and revise them. The service showed great promise, and now it's simply being turned down.

Sadly this is an area where the Microsoft web-based Office environment (and to some extent Google Docs) will be able to lead the way...
  • Reply 6 of 40
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Doh! That explains why I couldn't figure out iwork.com vs. iCloud.

I'll be glad when everything is fully 'iClouded.'
  • Reply 7 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It seems unlikely that they will introduce some kind of mickey mouse "permission to look at my private documents" kind of feature into the desperately simple iCloud setup. It would make it janky and overly complex just for the small minority of users who want to share access to a small subset of their documents.

Yep, probably the same minority of users who enjoyed having a Web page, iDisk storage and a Photo Gallery that their family, friends, customers, and associates could access using MM. Don't get too comfortable using iCloud as it will soon be replaced with something else even more restrictive and convoluted.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This doesn't sound like they are going to switch to a paid iWork.com model.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Duh !!
  • Reply 10 of 40
    kamekame Posts: 7member
    Quote:

I'm not so optimistic about iCloud either. If iCloud does not incorporate at least minimum collaboration/sharing features, this is a great loss for me.

FYI, iWork.com allowed you to share iWork documents to the public where most, in my case everyone, does not have iWork or Mac.

Also, it just recently added a feature to embed Keynote presentation to a webpage.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    kamekame Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yep, probably the same minority of users who enjoyed having a Web page, iDisk storage and a Photo Gallery that their family, friends, customers, and associates could access using MM. Don't get too comfortable using iCloud as it will soon be replaced with something else even more restrictive and convoluted.

Is iWork.com screwed up. iCloud will screwup too. Apple just can't pull it off. This is sooooo devastating for such a company.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    When does MobileMe end? I've got some stuff I need to d/l from my iDisk before it gets erased.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It is more likely they would create some kind of public document setting for your iclouded documents. Not unlike the new iPhoto for iOS app creating journals to share sets of photo, in place of the old galleries
  • Reply 14 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kame View Post

Is iWork.com screwed up.

No, not really.

Quote:

iCloud will screwup too.

No, that doesn't look to be the case.

Quote:

Apple just can't pull it off.

No, iCloud is working incredibly well.

Quote:

This is sooooo devastating for such a company.

No, you're just a FUDmonger.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    Quote:

I was implying that I was hoping that I could start a Numbers spreadsheet on my iPhone and be able to finish it on my Mac, and sync it back to my iPhone, which is kind of a PITA to do right now.

I ended up using iDisk, but sadly that's going away too.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

When does MobileMe end? I've got some stuff I need to d/l from my iDisk before it gets erased.

So do it now.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

I was implying that I was hoping that I could start a Numbers spreadsheet on my iPhone and be able to finish it on my Mac, and sync it back to my iPhone, which is kind of a PITA to do right now. .

This was supposed to happen with iWork in Lion, but I believe it's been pushed back to Mountain Lion. iWork on the Mac desktop needs an update though.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

I was implying that I was hoping that I could start a Numbers spreadsheet on my iPhone and be able to finish it on my Mac, and sync it back to my iPhone, which is kind of a PITA to do right now.

You should be able to do this with iCloud.

I don`t use Numbers but I`m constantly creating documents with Pages on my iPhone and finishing them on my Mac all accessed through iCloud.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It is more likely they would create some kind of public document setting for your iclouded documents. Not unlike the new iPhoto for iOS app creating journals to share sets of photo, in place of the old galleries

I hope so. I'm still surprised they would drop general web-based used of iWork editing completely. I assume that the ones that use its features may only have Windows-based PCs at work.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

I ended up using iDisk, but sadly that's going away too.

Ah. Then I inferred the wrong implication (or something).