Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Comments

• Reply 21 of 425
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    I ordered mine early in the afternoon the day it was announced, and yet my order status is "Preparing for shipment", and "Delivers on March 16 via Standard Shipping". I see where others have a tracking number and can track their iPad. What's up with my order?
  • Reply 22 of 425
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

There are claims that Windows 8 tablets are going to outsell the iPad in a matter of a year or so.

Where was that?

I've never seen anything but Apple leading the way thru 2015. None of the the MS-based mobile devices are seeing much in the way of success. They even lost more market share in smartphones this last quarter according to articles here at AI. In tablets they're non-existent for practical purposes.
  • Reply 23 of 425
    I expect even stronger demand this year, especially after it launches. A Retina display will probably be one of the few things Apple does that actually does make a previous model obsolete, as it's something you use 100% of the time while using an iPad.

$399 iPad 2 gets you into the store, but the Retina display will make you spend more. It's brilliant.
  • Reply 24 of 425
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where was that?

I've never seen anything but Apple leading the way thru 2015. None of the the MS-based mobile devices are seeing much in the way of success. They even lost more market share in smartphones this last quarter according to articles here at AI. In tablets they're non-existent for practical purposes.

One Android fan predicting iPad will be crushed by Android within the year.

Why? Because it I about ports, cores, Ghz and a dozen other things 90% of the buying public does not care about.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...ll-in-12/10558
  • Reply 25 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has officially acknowledged that iPad stock set aside for preorders is sold out, while noting also that customer response to the device has been "off the charts."

I'm not surprised. The retina display is a huge difference, one which is tangible to consumers.
  • Reply 26 of 425
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where was that?

So far the only predictions about Win8-based tablets I've read is that they will beat out Android-based tablets.
  • Reply 27 of 425
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Some of the people standing in line on Friday will be employees of Microsoft, RIM, HP, Samsung, etc. They'll buy one of each version and rush them back to their labs. ifixit will have detailed tear-down pics by noon.
  • Reply 28 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I ordered mine early in the afternoon the day it was announced, and yet my order status is "Preparing for shipment", and "Delivers on March 16 via Standard Shipping". I see where others have a tracking number and can track their iPad. What's up with my order?

Happens every product launch. Some people get tracking numbers immediately, others get theirs a couple of days before arrival day. Some people's shipments get bumped to overnight in order to meet the deadline. Long story short and barring some unforeseen weather or disaster, you'll get your iPad on the 16th, one way or another.
  • Reply 29 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by APPLEBIRD View Post

You fools are not going to change a thing

Guess your all losing your shorts :-)))

Why can't you be happy without feeling that you are somehow better than other people? Why do you imagine that preferring one company's products makes you somehow a better person?

Anybody can join your club. Owning a product doesn't make you a better person.
  • Reply 30 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Apple does not use words like "off the charts" lightly...

But AI has the lock on "crushing demand". . Where would an Apple product announcement at AI be without it.
  • Reply 31 of 425
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Anybody can join your club. Owning a product doesn't make you a better person.

The same goes for Poe-ing for responses/being a contrarian on a forum about said products.
  • Reply 32 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

One Android fan predicting iPad will be crushed by Android within the year.

Why? Because it I about ports, cores, Ghz and a dozen other things 90% of the buying public does not care about.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...ll-in-12/10558

The buying public dies not care about "under the hood".

The retina display, combined with getting a default choice is what matters.

If a product is wildly popular and has a tangible benefit, then success breeds success.
  • Reply 33 of 425
    I sold my iPad 1 32GB 3G to my 70-year old mother for $200 last week. She's been wanting one, and $200 was a lot better than $300 for a refurbished 16GB wifi model. And she wouldn't take it for nothing since she knew I was upgrading to the 'New iPad'.

Anyhow, went up yesterday to see how she liked it "WONDERFUL!!!" and updated it to iOS 5.1, and the thing is running better than at any time I ever had it! Even Infinity Blade plays fine without crashing She loves the fact that she can show off her grandkids, surf the web and email...the basic stuff, which the original iPad is great for. Glad to see it found a happy home. Now I'm having iPad withdrawal symptoms and have to wait until Friday for the new one
  • Reply 34 of 425
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

I always enjoy hearing the iHater comments saying how Apple only had about 500,000 iPads available for pre-order and that the sell-out is just Apple hype to gain attention when in reality,

They have no idea how many units there were and could be off by a factor of 10 or even 100. And probably are.

Apple's mixing things up to get units in hands without having to deal with scalpers etc as badly as before. I think the iPhone 4s riot in Hong Kong pissed them off and they want to burn the head off the Hydra to some detail. That could be why the pre-orders were started right off, with limits on units allowed. They could be watching addresses and names as well for that.

And they did something in the US at least that wasn't available before and that was the in store pickup so they will still have their lines for the press. But I'm thinking this year perhaps the stock was slanted more 70/30 in favor of preorders than waiting. Some stores may not have any stock of a unit available on Friday to just walk in (or reserve if they start that option right off) because the online orders to pick up took all of them. And I'm not sure that Apple is really worried about folks being a bit peeved since they are careful to say first come, first serve, supplies not guaranteed. And they know folks will wait.
  • Reply 35 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The same goes for Poe-ing for responses/being a contrarian on a forum about said products.

The products are secondary. I'm here to interact with all you fine people.

Religious and political forums are boring compared to this one.
  • Reply 36 of 425
    Quote:

I always enjoy hearing the iHater comments saying how Apple only had about 500,000 iPads available for pre-order and that the sell-out is just Apple hype to gain attention when in reality, Apple can sell more iPads in a week than Microsoft and partners were able to sell all their tablets in ten years. There are claims that Windows 8 tablets are going to outsell the iPad in a matter of a year or so. I'm gonna laugh if hardly any consumers are interested in Windows 8 tablets since they already have iPads. By the time the new iPad goes on sale Friday, there are going to be lines around the block and the stores will be packed to overflowing for iPad and AppleTV customers. The iHaters really don't get it at all.

If traditional laptops go away and are replaced by devices like the ASUS Transformer Prime, it's certainly possible in 2 years. I would actually like for Microsoft and Google to succeed as that's when Apple does it's best work. There's an extra push that only comes from having strong competitors.

But for the next 9 months or so, it's clear who the tablet leader will be.
  • Reply 37 of 425
    That phase you constantly run into the ground -- "off the charts" -- is kinda tired, now ....

So is "our customers love it" & "can't be matched" ....
  • Reply 38 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So far the only predictions about Win8-based tablets I've read is that they will beat out Android-based tablets.

Where did you see a projection that Windows-based tablets were going to have more market-share than those using Android anytime soon? Simply curious since it had nothing to do with the previous post nor the one it replied to.

Android is no competition to Apple in the tablet market for now, and it will be several years before they approach 50% share based on some projections. I must have missed the one that said Microsoft was going to dominate the tablet space, pushing Apple to the side.
  • Reply 39 of 425
    vthreevthree Posts: 13member
    I really doubt they have 15m units at launch. It just doesn't make economic sense to have that much stock sitting in warehouses for several months. Although they probably started some trial production in dec/jan. I don't think they started ramping up until start of Feb. and production usually ramps up due to kinks being worked out and workers getting more efficient.

When you are producing at columns that Apple is working with, it is very difficult to ramp production up for launch dramatically and then slow down. Assembly lines have to be built for the various parts. That is why we will always see shortages at launch. Because the demand just doesn't match up with the production capabilities. Of course, they can produce for 3 months ahead just to meet launch demand but that would mean the whole workflow would have to be move 3 months thus allowing their competition 3 months more to catch up.
  • Reply 40 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This release is my first pre order of anything, my iPad 1 has convinced me that an update would be worthwhile.

Same here except that I've never owned any version of the iPad until this one. Ordered a white 32g 4G Thursday afternoon and received my Tracking Number yesterday. Scheduled for a Friday delivery