Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Comments

• Reply 61 of 425
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's fine. I simply suggested you misunderstood what you read. It's happens to all of us. Knowing how you like to be accurate I'm sure you've already tried to find something to link and came up empty.

I can't be bothered right now. Just google it with the typical hyperbolic buzzwords. It really boils down to link bait articles to an unknown contended against the most popular CE and Android not showing any evidence of being able to compete in the tablet space.

edit: I think there is a chance Win8 tablets will likely outsell Android tablets when they hit. We're not talking about besting the installed base yet, just marketshare which is a timeframe measure agains unit sales. The one things Win8 has is that if you dock it to use as traditional PC you can get access to the regular Windows UI, right? (Actually still unclear on that) If so that is a huge benefit over Android tablets that like to pretend they are traditional PCs yet have a very poor interface. That plus the familiarity of Windows could make it much more compelling for users. I can see people wanting a transforming desktop or notebook that allows them to use a tablet. I would think these are people who want to try a tablet but think a traditional PC setup is their primary concern.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Curious whether the new display will improve screen visibility outdoors?

Also, bloodbath sequel now underway.

I hope so but since that wasn't stated in the Keynote I assume they aren't using Super IPS+. They did show an iPad being used outdoors in the sunlight in one of the videos but I don't think that means anything.
  • Reply 62 of 425
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Curious whether the new display will improve screen visibility outdoors?

Also, bloodbath sequel now underway.

Doubt it as glass reflects light and there is no matte option. If it were readable outdoors that would have been bull horned from Cupertino as that is the only drawback. I will simply get another PowerSupport anti glare protector- dramatically helps w viewing and smudging.

Ps: I don't work for PowerSupport.
  • Reply 63 of 425
    I have a neighbor who emailed me last night to say she had received info from Fedex yesterday that her 64GB 4G iPad would be delivered by 3p Monday, the 12th.

I can hardly wait until Monday to see if she really receives her iPad 5 days early.

My order for an iPad has been picked up by Fedex in Ontario, CA, but is scheduled to be delivered on the Friday, the 16th, with a Fedex notation "Future Delivery Requested".
  • Reply 64 of 425
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Why would Samsung do that as they already supply the soc, memory and display (and maybe even more) ?

Not to offend everyone, but you're buying a samsung device with apple os and apple quality standards during production and assembly.

The reactions to this post reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwExDG7n7Zg
  • Reply 65 of 425
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Surely they must be buying more multiple iPads to make it look like they are selling better¡

People are limited to 2 per order.
  • Reply 66 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Doubt it as glass reflects light and there is no matte option.

In al fairness he did say improve. Things that good make it better: using a different IPS tech, getting the display closer to the glass, getting a brighter backlight, using a new glass that is thinner, and/or using glass with different optical properties could all improve it.
  • Reply 67 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The haters over at c|net are absolutely livid .....

I stopped going to sites like cnet.com, engadget.com, gizmodo.com, et. al quite a while ago. It is entirely populated by a seeming bunch of sneering, shrill, ill-informed, anti-Apple blowhards that have all the cultural, linguistic, and social sophistication of geeks that never had a life beyond their moms' basements.
  • Reply 68 of 425
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Considering they sold 15 millions in 2011 Q4, if they really sell 15 millions in 2 weeks including ipad2 sales it would be very good for the stock at the next earnings in april.

I am hoping they did pile up a nice amount of the new iPad. But imo its more like 10 millions then 15 millions.

Supposedly, they had about 200,000 for the first day, which is a large number for one day. I suspect that the first month with only 14 days in it, they might exceed a couple of million, but for the first quarter starting in April, they might sell more like 25+ Million is my guess. That would be a run rate of less than 280,000 a day. The reason is that they have to ramp up production and as they roll this thing out in other countries. If they can get production up to that level, i don't see any reason why they can move 25 Million units between the months of April, May and June.

I think they are going to have at least a 50% or more increase of this iPad to that of the iPad 2.
  • Reply 69 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would say you're mistaken. I really don't think there are "plenty of articles and blogs" predicting Microsoft-based tablets will overtake those using Android anytime soon Soli. I think you may have misunderstood what you've seen. Let me know if you find a reputable one.

There's an article here with projections from Gartner and IDC. Neither of them see Microsoft overtaking Android tablet share, and both see Apple leading at least thru 2014.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...t-gartner-ipad

Franky, we don't care. Thanks anyway.
  • Reply 70 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Supposedly, they had about 200,000 for the first day, which is a large number for one day. I suspect that the first month with only 14 days in it, they might exceed a couple of million, but for the first quarter starting in April, they might sell more like 25+ Million is my guess. That would be a run rate of less than 280,000 a day. The reason is that they have to ramp up production and as they roll this thing out in other countries. If they can get production up to that level, i don't see any reason why they can move 25 Million units between the months of April, May and June.

I think they are going to have at least a 50% or more increase of this iPad to that of the iPad 2.

I think your numbers are very low. The original iPad in 2010 sold 300k units in the first day. They also sold 1 million units in just under a month. Let's not forget this was still an unknown product category with only a handful of iPad designed apps for the App Store, with the 3G models not hitting the shelves until nearly a month after the WiFi models went on sale. I think a couple million the first weekend is more likely.
  • Reply 71 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I stopped going to sites like cnet.com, engadget.com, gizmodo.com, et. al quite a while ago. It is entirely populated by a seeming bunch of sneering, shrill, ill-informed, anti-Apple blowhards that have all the cultural, linguistic, and social sophistication of geeks that never had a life beyond their moms' basements.

Yes but Engadget had a great live blog of the Apple iPad event- never crashed. AI couldn't handle the load.
  • Reply 72 of 425
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:

So Samsung builds and designs some of the components and so ALL the HW is now something Samsung has their hands on? How the frak does that make sense?

Very little of the HW appears to be from Samsung. Even if the assemble the A5X chip most of it isn't from Samsung just like Foxconn assembling the iPad doesn't mean that it's a Foxconn iPad.

Where did you get the idea that the IPS LCD is a Samsung display? All evidence points to LG being the inventors backed by Apple's investment with multiple foundries used to assemble the displays.

How did the A5X manufacturing deal with TSMC work out ?

and I've read many reports about yield problems with the retina display which claim : 'IHS’ Jakhanwal told Wired that only one of Apple’s three suppliers — Samsung — is currently making display panels for the iPad.' See http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...splay-outlook/ where it states LG will begin production in April.

Yes there are many more manufacturers and assemblers like Foxconn. But all of them can be replaced without problems, except for Samsung. They make some essential components which no other supplier can deliver.

My quote 'it's a samsung device' was a bit over the top, I'll admit to it instantly, but I don't get why samsung is the main antogonist here while they clearly have had the biggest part, apart from Apple, in getting the iphone/ipad in consumers hands for the last few years.

Maybe they should get some credit for playing such a big role as well ?

B.T.W. I'm holding a customer's Galaxy Tab 7.7 in my hand right now, with Samsung Equinox soc and 1280x800 super amoled+ (197pp) screen, samsung design casing, and it's some serious stuff. They've got their dual-core A15 ready as well, which I would have love to have seen in the new Ipad
  • Reply 73 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Yes but Engadget had a great live blog of the Apple iPad event- never crashed. AI couldn't handle the load.

You're absolutely right about that. They did do an outstanding job of the live blog. AI's efforts were really quite poor.
  • Reply 74 of 425
    Quote:

In al fairness he did say improve. Things that good make it better: using a different IPS tech, getting the display closer to the glass, getting a brighter backlight, using a new glass that is thinner, and/or using glass with different optical properties could all improve it.

As much as I love my iPad if I need to read outdoors, and as Spring/Summer approaches, eInk only works for me. In fact eInk actually improves outdoors. I'm glad I can afford the option. Even w a glare protector on my iPad it's just not doable- too much trouble. IMO.
  • Reply 75 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

.... but I don't get why samsung is the main antogonist here .....

Perhaps because many reasonable people think that the company hasn't had a single original idea in this space in a long while, and have been complicit in a great deal of Apple-related IP knock-offs?
  • Reply 76 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Houston View Post

I have a neighbor who emailed me last night to say she had received info from Fedex yesterday that her 64GB 4G iPad would be delivered by 3p Monday, the 12th.

I can hardly wait until Monday to see if she really receives her iPad 5 days early.

My order for an iPad has been picked up by Fedex in Ontario, CA, but is scheduled to be delivered on the Friday, the 16th, with a Fedex notation "Future Delivery Requested".

Mine is already in North America and within a short two hour flight from the city where I live so in theory mine *could* be delivered on Monday as well.

I wouldn't expect it to be though. UPS takes great delight in making the packages bounce back and forth across North America for at least a couple of days before they decide to actually deliver them. I'm almost certain the the next update on the UPS tracking for mine on Monday morning won't be "out for delivery" but more likely "Departure scan <insert never heard of US city>", or even "Delivery Exception."

For instance, even though most of the stuff for the West Coast seems to arrive in Alaska within a day of leaving China, it often get's routed to the East coast, or the MidWest, and then back to the West coast again, (sometimes multiple times), even though it was closer to California when it was in Alaska a day after it shipped and could have been delivered in two days if it went directly there.
  • Reply 77 of 425
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

yes since new pre-orders won't be available on launch day.

I never knew there were so many apple fanbois buying these ipads. /s

Im sure that all you fandroids think apple is doomed, doomed i say doomed!!!!
  • Reply 78 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It really is that good, I seldom use my Mac for mail or web access anymore. Even the iPad one is passable for basic gaming. Further the variety of apps means I'm not always encumbered with web interfaces, thus things like the IMDb, AlienBlue and a host of other apps actually improve my online experience.

I still get frustrated with some of the restrictions but I still have that Mac for when the power of UNIX is required. Speaking of which the integration with iCloud just gets better with every update cycle.

There are pros and cons to the iPad compared to MBP. For one, the iPad mail app is missing a critical feature. iPad mail does not support email rules. I've got many rules to deal automatically with mail from my 5 email accounts - deleting spam, moving mail to different email folders based on various criteria, for example. iPad mail does not support this process, so I always have my MBP running so it can sop up the mail as it comes in so I don't have to when I'm on the iPad.

Secondly, Flash plug-ins really screw with Safari on my MBP. I probably have a Safari browser installation problem on my MBP, but have quieted the problems somewhat by configuring Safari on my MBP to act like an iPad agent browser, so I can get access to non-flash content that would otherwise be sent as Flash to my MBP.
  • Reply 79 of 425
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I always enjoy hearing the iHater comments saying how Apple only had about 500,000 iPads available for pre-order and that the sell-out is just Apple hype to gain attention when in reality, Apple can sell more iPads in a week than Microsoft and partners were able to sell all their tablets in ten years.

Lol I agree with you 100%. They said the same thing about the iPhone 4s until the numbers came out that it was 4 million in just 2 days
  • Reply 80 of 425
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I never knew there were so many apple fanbois buying these ipads. /s

It's a halo effect from all those iPhone-buying baristas.