Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Comments

• Reply 121 of 425
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You may get it a day early. Fedex is not allowed to deliver it sooner even if they could easily do it.

Ah I wondered about that. So if they're not selling it in the stores until the 16th FedEx has to make sure no online orders arrive before then?
  • Reply 122 of 425
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisRankin View Post

Really? Who wouldn't love a free iPad. And their computer needs are so basic. They will love the "used" iPad 2. And if anyone else wants to give me their used iPad 2 for Christmas I'll gladly accept another one.

Here's an idea. Sell the iPad 2 now while it has the most resale value, then buy a brand new iPad third gen and give that to them. You'll be money ahead and not look like such a cheap ass.

Or, just give them the iPad 2 now for no particular reason other than you are a nice guy. Then in nine months buy them some less expensive trinket for Christmas. After all the spirt of Christmas should not be about expensive gifts anyway. now should it? Oh right it is about expensive gifts since Christmas is a made up holiday, which has nothing at all to do with the Bible, it is more about the pagan solstice celebration known as Saturnalia. Historians believe that Jesus was was born sometime in the fall not December 25th. Most people don't care though since they are non-practicing-sudo-Christians who just want the gifts.
  • Reply 123 of 425
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow the media sure do try hard don't they?

The Mixed Blessings of the iPad's Retina Display

The iPad's screen is amazing--but for lovers of magazines, photos, and videos, there may be some unexpected downsides
  • Reply 124 of 425
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ah I wondered about that. So if they're not selling it in the stores until the 16th FedEx has to make sure no online orders arrive before then?

It's not as strict as it once was to hold all iDevice deliveries until the release day. I hypothesize they have too many packages that with each increase in sales they have to spread the load out over a couple days to make sure that all are delivered by the end of day on the 16th.
  • Reply 125 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Here's an idea. Sell the iPad 2 now while it has the most resale value, then buy a brand new iPad third gen and give that to them. You'll be money ahead and not look like such a cheap ass. Or, just give them the iPad 2 now for no particular reason other than you are a nice guy. Then in nine months buy them some less expensive trinket for Christmas.

The delayed gift would have been a good idea. Too late for that now however. They'll still be tickled pink. this is for a woman who loves playing solitaire on one of those old b/w crystal display handheld devices from the 70s. She'll think she's died and gone to solitaire heaven. And when she realizes how the iPad can help her connect with her grand kids better then she'll be even happier.
  • Reply 126 of 425
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i ordered mine on launch day - @ 5pm EST - and it STILL says "preparing for shipment". Doh.

i'm hoping the existing Fieldfolio case will fit the .8mm thicker iPad and that the cutout for the rear camera is big enough. can't find any info online.
  • Reply 127 of 425
    swilcoxswilcox Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought FedEx was non-union.

Yeah, but who cares. My father was a union worker his entire life, and he worked his A%^ off! Whoever the OP was of this slur, get off your holier-than-thou, anti-union high horse.
  • Reply 128 of 425
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vthree View Post

I really doubt they have 15m units at launch. It just doesn't make economic sense to have that much stock sitting in warehouses for several months. Although they probably started some trial production in dec/jan. I don't think they started ramping up until start of Feb. and production usually ramps up due to kinks being worked out and workers getting more efficient.

When you are producing at columns that Apple is working with, it is very difficult to ramp production up for launch dramatically and then slow down. Assembly lines have to be built for the various parts. That is why we will always see shortages at launch. Because the demand just doesn't match up with the production capabilities. Of course, they can produce for 3 months ahead just to meet launch demand but that would mean the whole workflow would have to be move 3 months thus allowing their competition 3 months more to catch up.

Ah, the age-old question: Which comes first, the production or the demand for the production?

Yes folks, I am back. For some reason I have not been able to log in for over one year. While it was somewhat fun to be the silent observer, sometimes I really did want to respond, but could not.

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand....

All I know is that I cannot wait until March 16, when my new iPad 64 WiFi/4LTE will arrive. I have sold my iPad2, a wonderful device that proved to me at least that I no longer need a laptop when traveling. The new iPad should only further enhance that experience.

On a side note, I could not help but notice that my order was filled immediately, and the next day I received an update that my order was being shipped from Oxnard, CA on March 10. It also mentions that a "Future Delivery requested" of March 16. This last part made me wonder if the rumors of huge DHL shipments were true, and that XXX number of units were pre shipped and have already cleared customs - just waiting for delivery on the 16th?
  • Reply 129 of 425
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swilcox View Post

Yeah, but who cares. My father was a union worker his entire life, and he worked his A%^ off! Whoever the OP was of this slur, get off your holier-than-thou, anti-union high horse.

Since you lack the work ethic to even find the original poster, which is just on the last page, I'm going to assume you too work for a union

• Reply 130 of 425
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by notmike View Post

I have a feeling that many of those pre-orders that shipped last week were custom orders (like engraving) that needed extra time to travel from China. My pre-order, a black 64 GB iPad with no engraving was likely being warehoused locally, and it shipped this morning from Pennsylvania on its way to New Jersey.

I missed your post before I offered my observation later in the thread. It does seem as though a considerable number of "standard" (no engraving) units were shipped over early and warehoused in various staging areas in the US.

Is it Friday yet?
  • Reply 131 of 425
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Since you lack the work ethic to even find the original poster, which is just on the last page, I'm going to assume you too work for a union

Working for a union employer does not equate to lack of work ethic. Many people have no choice in their chosen profession examples being: most medical careers, many government jobs, as well as professional sports, music and performing arts to name a few.
  • Reply 132 of 425
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I wasn't planning on upgrading from my iPad 2, but after seeing how little my old iPad depreciated, I couldn't help myself.

Thank you, Apple, for only offering the 16 GB iPad 2 for sale as it made my 64 GB a high-demand product! Very smart move - it got me a quick sale of my old one and the easy justification to whip out my credit card.

I imagine a slew of buyers who will be doing the same math, even if they are happy with their iPad 2.
  • Reply 133 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I read nothing trollish about his reply to me. He made a sound rebuttal and offered a link that backs up his position. That's exactly the kind of discourse I expect from this forum.

That's fine, if that's what you expect.

However, if the market share between Android and Microsoft is of zero interest to me (or, in my view, the thrust of this thread), it's certainly my right to point it out, no?
  • Reply 134 of 425
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So is it really a post-PC world? Here's what Ray Ozzie, the tech guru brought in (and leaving in 2010) to take up Bill Gates visionary roll at MS has to say:

"(He) believes the world has moved past the personal computer, potentially leaving behind the world's largest software company.

The PC, which was Microsoft's foundation and still determines the company's financial performance, has been nudged aside by powerful phones and tablets running Apple Inc and Google Inc software, the former Microsoft executive said...

"People argue about 'are we in a post-PC world?'. Why are we arguing? Of course we are in a post-PC world...

"That doesn't mean the PC dies, that just means that the scenarios that we use them in, we stop referring to them as PCs, we refer to them as other things...."

Ozzie said the fate of Windows 8 would determine Microsoft's future. The latest version of the company's operating system will work on tablets powered by low-power ARM Holdings chips, which Microsoft hopes will allow it to rival Apple's iPad, and put the company back at the cutting edge of consumer technology.

"If Windows 8 shifts in a form that people really want to buy the product, the company will have a great future," said Ozzie. "In any industry, if people look at their own needs, and look at the products and say, 'I understand why I had it then, and I want something different', they will not have as good a future. It's too soon to tell."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8E7EXM20120308
  • Reply 135 of 425
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where did you see a projection that Windows-based tablets were going to have more market-share than those using Android anytime soon? Simply curious since it had nothing to do with the previous post nor the one it replied to.

Android is no competition to Apple in the tablet market for now, and it will be several years before they approach 50% share based on some projections. I must have missed the one that said Microsoft was going to dominate the tablet space, pushing Apple to the side.

There's a lot of talk that a tablet that runs "full Windows" (despite the fuzziness of that claim) will quickly become the default choice of business and enterprise. I've seen quite a bit of nattering on about how that magic tablet that you carry around while on the go becomes a "real computer" on which one can do "real work" once you dock it. I don't know that I've seen any specific market share claims, but there certainly a fair amount of "MS is about to show everyone how it's done" in the air.

As far as Android, this kind of thing has been pretty typical this year:

Quote:

While Android’s been unable to topple iOS in the tablet arena, the tides are finally starting to turn as Android’s tablet market share rose to 39 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011.

According to Strategy Analytics, that’s up from 29 percent in the year-earlier period. The iPad still accounted for 68.2 percent of tablet sales, but the pattern is following a path similar to the smartphone market since the iPhone was first released in 2007.

“In other words, Android tablets are rising at broadly the same rate as Android smartphones did in the past,” says Neil Mawston, executive director of the global wireless practice of Strategy Analytics.

We keep seeing these ever rising "market share" figures that don't seem to distinguish between shipments and sales, or more importantly between Google blessed Android tablets and the Fire-- which by some estimates is making up the lion's share of those Android tablet numbers.

There's the persistent notion that Android tablet sales will follow the phone trajectory, taking off after a period of incubation once the price/performance ratio gets sorted. Of course that doesn't take into account the fact that phone sales are heavily influenced by the carriers, subsidies, and what they're pushing, plus the fact that a poorly supported phone is still a pretty good phone. The tablet market is, I think self-evidently, a different kind of thing altogether, wherein consumers want the sense that they're buying into a real system, with real apps and real support. Years of shitty carrier control have trained people to expect a level of funkiness with their phone that they won't tolerate with their computer.

I suspect these "Apple's stranglehold on the tablet market is slipping" or "Android tablet sales are skyrocketing" stories are strategic-- an effort to convince consumers that Android tablets have momentum and buzz so they needn't fear buying into a moribund system. I would also guess that Apple's actual share of the "real" tablet market (minus cheap and limited portals onto catalogs ala the Fire and Nook) is quite a bit higher than recent stories suggest. But of course "Asus, Samsung, HTC and Motorola combined manage to eke out 10% of the tablet market" runs counter to the "open always wins" myth.
  • Reply 136 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I suspect these "Apple's stranglehold on the tablet market is slipping" or "Android tablet sales are skyrocketing" stories are strategic-- an effort to convince consumers that Android tablets have momentum and buzz so they needn't fear buying into a moribund system. I would also guess that Apple's actual share of the "real" tablet market (minus cheap and limited portals onto catalogs ala the Fire and Nook) is quite a bit higher than recent stories suggest.

I'm with you. I don't see evidence of a shift towards Android tablets, and certainly not in the way that Android smartphone sales overtook the market in just two years. Perhaps a bit of wishful thinking in some of the articles, or maybe just a few too many slow news days.
  • Reply 137 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's fine, if that's what you expect.

However, if the market share between Android and Microsoft is of zero interest to me (or, in my view, the thrust of this thread), it's certainly my right to point it out, no?

It certainly is. More than one poster mentioned Microsoft, and if you have no interest I would expect you just ignored those particular posts. Those members had some interest in mentioning them however.

I don't care about the comparisons/mentions of union and non-union members in this thread. I wouldn't presume to get on a high-horse and tell them to be quiet, particularly when the exchanges remain civil.
  • Reply 138 of 425
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I ordered mine early in the afternoon the day it was announced, and yet my order status is "Preparing for shipment", and "Delivers on March 16 via Standard Shipping". I see where others have a tracking number and can track their iPad. What's up with my order?

Surely this is the right place to ask that question.
  • Reply 139 of 425
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Why? Because it I about ports, cores, Ghz and a dozen other things 90% of the buying public does not care about.

I suspect 90% of the people buying the iPad 3 will be using it as a great little toy rather than for any serious computing purpose. In that sense the specs are not important to them. Does it look nice? Is it the hot gadget right now? Yep - I'll have one. Simple as that. It's no different to the latest must have Nike shoes or something like that.
  • Reply 140 of 425
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Unfortunately many people are apparently missing normal, functioning brains.

To be fair, that's probably not their fault.

There's been an awful lot of zombie outbreaks in the past year or two.