Apple rumored to use 'slim bezel display' for 7.85-inch iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

To maximize screen space on its rumored 7.85-inch iPad, Apple will adopt a "slim bezel display," according to a new report.

The detail comes from sources in Apple's upstream supply chain who spoke with DigiTimes. They indicated that the 7.85-inch iPad will take on comparable smaller tablet models like the Amazon Kindle Fire or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

"Although the 7.85-inch iPads may not adopt Retina displays as in the recently released new iPads, the 7.85-inch model is likely to use IPS/FFS panels from LG Display and probably AU Optronics (AUO)," the report said.

It was suggested that the 7.85-inch iPad model will be targeted toward the sub-$300 market, with Apple pricing the device at either $249 or $299. Apple's current low-end model is the 16GB iPad 2, which starts at $399 for the Wi-Fi-only model.

Reports claiming Apple is at work on a smaller iPad model have picked up considerable steam in recent weeks. This month alone it was said that Apple has inked a deal with AU Optronics for displays for the device, while production is expected to begin in the third quarter of 2012.

The source for many of the rumors related to a 7.85-inch iPad has been DigiTimes, a technology industry publication based out of Taiwan that has a hit-or-miss track record with respect to Apple-related rumors. But last month The Wall Street Journal chimed in and indicated that Apple was working with suppliers to test a new iPad model with an 7-inch screen size.

Though reports of a smaller iPad continue, many have dismissed the rumored device as a product that Apple will never actually sell. In October of 2010, late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs slammed rivals who were building 7-inch tablets, saying the screen size was too small for users. He said that manufacturers of those devices would need to ship sandpaper with their 7-inch tablets so users could file down their fingers to the point where they could hit smaller targets on the screen.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 132
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I don't believe these 7-8 inch iPad rumors.
  • Reply 2 of 132
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Unless it's meant for toddlers only.
  • Reply 3 of 132
    Small mistake, but was quite funny, the article refers to the $7.85 iPad.

Don't expect this in 2012, that's for sure.
  • Reply 4 of 132
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The toddlers iPad, with optional sandpaper for those pesky full-grown fingers.

lol, Rabbit_Coach, we used the same word.
  • Reply 5 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It was suggested that the $7.85-inch iPad model......

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

It remains the question of how many inches iPad will you get for $7.85.
  • Reply 6 of 132
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    If its true then Apple would have to supply a filer for us to file down our fingers to hold the "thinner" screen bezel without accidental touches.

Other than that, if it is true, then it would mark the end of iPod touch or iPod classics.
  • Reply 7 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

lol, Rabbit_Coach, we used the same word.

lol

+/- 3min
  • Reply 8 of 132
    kalvinkalvin Posts: 11member
    This is not an iPad, this is the remote control for the Apple TV.
  • Reply 9 of 132
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    I use both a 9.7" tablet as well as a 7" tablet, and both have their uses.

Main problem with a 9.7" tablet is, you're always walking around with your tablet, whereas the 7" tablet can be put in a pocket (jacket preferably So for business use, where you're not using it 100% of the time a 7" tablet is much easier to carry along.

The 7" tablet already has a much slimmer bezel than the iPad, and because you can hold in on one hand (between thumb and finger even), the bezel can easily be slimmed down more.
  • Reply 10 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Me neither. The iPad has to be better than other devices for its key functions, one of which is browsing the web. The size of the iPad was clearly designed so that the majority of webpages are readable without zooming; a smaller iPad wouldn't achieve this. There would have to be a third set of apps designed for a smaller iPad too, or we'd have scaled up iPhone apps (what's the point?) or scaled down iPad apps that in some cases may be unusable.

Of course Apple will be playing with the idea of a smaller iPad just in case the market moves that way, but at the moment with iPad dominating I just can't see Apple changing their minds any time soon.
  • Reply 11 of 132
    I think a 7.85" with micro bezel is not a BAD idea, I would suspect the iOS & apps would format similar to the iPhone / itouch, and maybe not quite the iPad. But what I would be more interested in would be a XL iPad, say 13 or 14". Not super portable (certainly on par with a typical laptop) but tons of screen realestate
  • Reply 12 of 132
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member
    I don't like the idea of a smaller iPad and nor do i think they're gonna sell a smaller one.

iPad is THE ORIGINAL PAD and they should not copy others like evil Samsung etc.
  • Reply 13 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Just use the one that came with your even smaller iPhone or iPod touch.
  • Reply 14 of 132
    Two thoughts: many very elderly people cannot pick up an iPad without messing up the screen -- even with the wide bezel. A narrow bezel would make the device totally unusable for them. They just don't have the dexterity and hand strength to hold an iPad by its edges.

On the other hand, many complain that the iPad is too heavy. If they fall asleep while reading in bed, the iPad falls on their noses and wakes them up!
  • Reply 15 of 132
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

Me neither. The iPad has to be better than other devices for its key functions, one of which is browsing the web. The size of the iPad was clearly designed so that the majority of webpages are readable without zooming; a smaller iPad wouldn't achieve this. There would have to be a third set of apps designed for a smaller iPad too, or we'd have scaled up iPhone apps (what's the point?) or scaled down iPad apps that in some cases may be unusable.

Of course Apple will be playing with the idea of a smaller iPad just in case the market moves that way, but at the moment with iPad dominating I just can't see Apple changing their minds any time soon.

Zooming is still required on a 9.7 Tablet. News sites in particular are link heavy. If people can manage on an iPhone 3.5 then it really strains credulity to attempt to tell them that web surfing on a device that is over twice as large would be difficult.

Your second point is likely wrong from a technical standpoint. The reason why 7.85 is the size chosen is because it's in a 4:3 ratio which means the same 1024x768 resolution as the iPad 2 would likely be used meaning apps designed for the iPad first and second generations would work.
  • Reply 16 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    DigiTimes

That is all.
  • Reply 17 of 132
    Pricing is problematic. It is unlikely that Apple would start selling an 8-inch tablet priced pretty much on a par with the current Touch. I think we have seen Apple's response to the lower-cost tablets which is a $399 iPad like the one I'm typing on right now and bought yesterday.

When you can have a $399 tablet as capable as the iPad 2, It's rather a no-brainier to opt for that option over the many inferior options available.

The publication serving up these rumors can't do rumors about the next iPad 9.7-inch model right now because that's a year away. There have been attempts in the past to suggest Apple would update the iPad on a six-month cycle but it's obvious that is not how Apple is doing it.

There will be a new tablet in the fall in that the Touch hasn't had a major update in a long time. Maybe the Touch will grow a little but not all the way up to around 8 inches.
  • Reply 18 of 132
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    So when Apple explored different screen sizes, they also explored different bezel sizes. But prototype != product.
  • Reply 19 of 132
    Idiots.

Even if Apple were to bunk Steve Job's wishes against a 7" device, I can't see it having a thin/no bezel design. It just wouldn't work from a design perspective. On an iPhone it's fine it fits in your hand but a table that would not be the case. You need to bezel to grip the device and if the device is all screen? Won't work and I can't see Jony Ive making that big a mistake.
  • Reply 20 of 132
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I would like a 17" iPad. Before anyone tells me it would be too heavy just check out how many laptops people carry around, an iPad would be a lot lighter.