Apple rumored to use 'slim bezel display' for 7.85-inch iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 132
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Lets feed into this rumor.

Apple creates the awesome, by all accounts, the THE NEW IPAD, with a killer screen, 5x graphics ability all giving it that zing, pow, wow factor! Ok, so now they're going to release, rumor wise, a 7.x something inch iPad of the low low end variety for cheepo mofos that can't see themselves spending a little more for a high end iPad.

Pah-lease!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 132
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post

Two thoughts: many very elderly people cannot pick up an iPad without messing up the screen -- even with the wide bezel. A narrow bezel would make the device totally unusable for them. They just don't have the dexterity and hand strength to hold an iPad by its edges.

On the other hand, many complain that the iPad is too heavy. If they fall asleep while reading in bed, the iPad falls on their noses and wakes them up!

Had to laugh. I did exactly that last night! I am thinking about a ceiling mount above the bed that suspends the iPad at exactly the right height when lightly held but retracts it upwards about a foot when let go .... Although it would then be a danger when getting up quickly ... Oh well back to the drawing board.

BTW, given the ease with which a typo can occur on an iPad am I the only one that wishes there were left and arrow keys to move the cursor easily once placed, as an option to trying to get the cursor in exactly the right position with a finger?
  • Reply 23 of 132
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Actually I kind of like this idea. My ipads are nice, but heavy and a bit much to carry around. I could use a smaller one nicely at work. That said, maybe a larger screen iphone would do the trick.
  • Reply 24 of 132
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I don't believe these 7-8 inch iPad rumors.

especially since the article is wrong.

Digitimes is the source for ALL the rumors, not many of them. All the other articles are just quoting Digitimes.

WHen someone else claims to have info then I might believe that Apple is making a 7.85 inch something although likely not an iPad. The timing suggests a revamp to the iPod touch to differentiate it from the iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 132
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kalvin View Post

This is not an iPad, this is the remote control for the Apple TV.

too limited in use for the expense. But as an iPod touch with a new Apple Remote app, it could be used that way.
  • Reply 26 of 132
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

DigiTimes

That is all.

Exactly.

They mentioned they are "hit and miss". With the hits being what? There will be a new iPhone in 2012?
  • Reply 27 of 132
    Quote:

DigiTimes

That is all.

Well said.

Nevertheless, since the topic of a smaller iPad is still interesting to debate, what could it do better (by a wide margin) from competitive products?

1. A more portable (and less silly to use) movie camera with on board editing.

2. Resolution. No going back, a retina display is a huge differentiator and supports iPhoto, iMovie but most importantly iBooks! Bye bye Kindles & Nooks.

3. Portable gaming, with better graphics, especially for kids. Parents have been willing to spend on Nintendos with expensive games, iPod touches. This could become the must have gaming upgrade. Easier to tote along in a purse or small dedicated case than full sized iPad.

Just to name a few. I would buy one in a heartbeat for my kid. It would be the ultimate evolution and product category expansion of the iPod Touch. It would not be intended to replace the larger iPad. Nevertheless, for many it would suffice for basic Internet via apps and email.
  • Reply 28 of 132
    Come on AI, can we stop with the Digitimes rumors? I mean, unless they get something right in the next 6-12 months, we should just boycott their rumors, and maybe they'll stop making #*!$ up for clickthroughs.
  • Reply 29 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minnesota_Steve View Post

It would be the ultimate evolution and product category expansion of the iPod Touch. It would not be intended to replace the larger iPad. Nevertheless, for many it would suffice for basic Internet via apps and email.

Yup. The iPod touch has not been refreshed in more than a year. Perhaps this is where we will see a bigger screen.
  • Reply 30 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Lets feed into this rumor.

Apple creates the awesome, by all accounts, the THE NEW IPAD, with a killer screen, 5x graphics ability all giving it that zing, pow, wow factor! Ok, so now they're going to release, rumor wise, a 7.x something inch iPad of the low low end variety for cheepo mofos that can't see themselves spending a little more for a high end iPad.

Pah-lease!!!!

What makes it even more absurd is that now the iPad line starts at $399 US. Unless you're looking at a rather limited device like the Fire, what competitor is delivering a worthwhile tablet for much less than $399. Sure the iPad is a little on the heavy side for a hand-held and it's too large to just slip into your pocket but if you want a large enough screen to enjoy video, browse, etc. then you have to give something up to get it. There are lots of truly portable options out there but really if you're looking for a handy device for use when hanging out at home, etc. there is no real competition for the iPad, especially not a perfectly decent $399 iPad.
  • Reply 31 of 132
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    I love the hate for the smaller iPad. Perhaps price has nothing to do with it. There is a market for good tablet (not the Android/Kindle crap) that has a smaller form factor. Apple can enter that market and own it too.

Apple has the iPhone 4 and 4S, but also the 3GS for free.

They have the iPod Nano and the Shuffle

They have the MacBook Pro's and had the Macbook for sub $1000 which has now been replaced with the 11" Air.

The point is a smaller iPad would not be without precedent in Apple's lineups.
  • Reply 32 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Yup. The iPod touch has not been refreshed in more than a year. Perhaps this is where we will see a bigger screen.

It's a mystery why Digi Times isn't pumping out Touch rumours because those would seem a lot more credible. I suppose the logic is that using the iPad label generates more traffic.
  • Reply 33 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

?what competitor is delivering a worthwhile tablet for much less than $399.

When the retina iPad hits $399 next year, if no Android devices exist to compete with it at its current price by then, there won't be any Android devices left in the tablet space. All the 'compelling' arguments to buy one will be moot.
  • Reply 34 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

I love the hate for the smaller iPad. Perhaps price has nothing to do with it. There is a market for good tablet (not the Android/Kindle crap) that has a smaller form factor. Apple can enter that market and own it too.

Apple has the iPhone 4 and 4S, but also the 3GS for free.

They have the iPod Nano and the Shuffle

They have the MacBook Pro's and had the Macbook for sub $1000 which has now been replaced with the 11" Air.

The point is a smaller iPad would not be without precedent in Apple's lineups.

Is there a reason why you failed to mention the Touch?
  • Reply 35 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Unless it's meant for toddlers only.

Maybe their fingers are small enough without having to use sandpaper to taper them down?
  • Reply 36 of 132
    Quote:

When the retina iPad hits $399 next year, if no Android devices exist to compete with it at its current price by then, there won't be any Android devices left in the tablet space. All the 'compelling' arguments to buy one will be moot.

I don't think we'll see that scenario. I think what could happen, though, is that Apple will continue to offer a lower-resolution iPad at the $399 price point and refresh the product from time to time. For example, improvements in processor performance and weight reduction would make the lower-cost iPad a compelling option for quite a long time.
  • Reply 37 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

?Apple will continue to offer a lower-resolution iPad at the $399 price point and refresh the product from time to time.

Exactly, just like Apple gave the iPhone 3GS a complete internal redesign and the A4 chip and stopped selling the iPhone 4? oh, right.

Forgive me, but I don't think they'll 'refresh the iPad 2' instead of dropping the price of the iPad 3.
  • Reply 38 of 132
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kalvin View Post

This is not an iPad, this is the remote control for the Apple TV.

No it's not. I'd be too expensive and doesn't necessarily make it easier to use.
  • Reply 39 of 132
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

Just use the one that came with your even smaller iPhone or iPod touch.

Why use the one that came with your phone that you hold differently?
  • Reply 40 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I use both a 9.7" tablet as well as a 7" tablet, and both have their uses.

Main problem with a 9.7" tablet is, you're always walking around with your tablet, whereas the 7" tablet can be put in a pocket (jacket preferably So for business use, where you're not using it 100% of the time a 7" tablet is much easier to carry along.

The 7" tablet already has a much slimmer bezel than the iPad, and because you can hold in on one hand (between thumb and finger even), the bezel can easily be slimmed down more.

Exactly the right specs: it would most likely be with you most of the time whereas the current iPad would not. The current iPads are too big, the iPhone is too small (for most anything but normal phone use).

I'd be happy to pay $1000 or more for a 7" iPad that also has phone capabilities. To each, his/her own.