HBO agrees to allow Universal, Fox movies on Apple's iCloud

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Am I(outside of Apple)) the only one who likes the new UI? I think it's awesome.

It's different, and people typically hate different things, just like when Facebook updates things on their page. I quite like it myself, but I also like Lion better than Snow Leopard, so maybe I'm just not afraid to try new things.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

That HAD to be a misspelling because it makes no sense even as a bad pun.

Maybe I'm too old to understand this but I don't see a pun. What pun are you talking about? A Dyke in this context means levee or wall. So I see no pun in it cracking. Even with the slang term meaning lesbian I still see no pun between the two usages.

Why don't you guys let this old timer in on the joke, if there is one.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    The ability to redownload will increase sales.

There were definitely hold-outs to music purchases until they were rid of DRM and allowed redownload.

This is the direction Jobs worked toward from the start.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I finally got HBO2GO and MAX2GO for my Macs and iDevices recently. It took them long enough.

I have to say that it's pretty nice. HBO has a lot of really good series and to have all of the series available for streaming is pretty nice.

I was recently watching The Wire. I never saw that series when it was first released. It was practically made for the iPad, as it is a perfect fit, 4:3.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Am I(outside of Apple)) the only one who likes the new UI? I think it's awesome.

I like it too. The posters mimic a movie theater wall and this is a movie store etc. You can scroll pretty easily. The tiles are better. I don't know yet if you can manage which tile are there but I'm sure there will be way, particularly if you're not into sports and want to remove them.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hence 'flexible'.

p.s. I am British / American.

You guys are sylly.

Quote:

I think it's the best TV UI yet but I would like to remove and reorganize the tiles.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    jimtjimt Posts: 16member
    I'm OK with the look of the interface, but I sure wish they would do something about the NetFlix streaming issue. NetFlix streaming works fine with my wireless Blu-Ray, but with the Apple TV box, it's terrible...almost constant buffering.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    It's about time, because if they don't make them more easily obtainable people will just get them where they are easily obtainable and the studios will get nothing for the transaction.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimt View Post

I'm OK with the look of the interface, but I sure wish they would do something about the NetFlix streaming issue. NetFlix streaming works fine with my wireless Blu-Ray, but with the Apple TV box, it's terrible...almost constant buffering.

I'm OK with the interface, too. I hope that in a future iteration we will be able to mirror the aTV on an iPad (an App) and re-arrange apps 'normal' IOS style. The apps I don't use such as the NBA I'd like to hide or get rid of. If my TV navigation experience was customizable similarly to my iPhone and iPad experiences I'd be very happy.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I don't think it is going to be piracy that is going to force the change. What can and will do it is new content through new channels. What am I going to watch while I wait 6 months for HBO to release a movie to streaming? I will watch something. Since I only spend a limited amount of time watching TV then I end up watching what is available. If you wait until all the promotion for a movie is over why would I think to watch it. I am not going to spend my time reviewing trailers. The easier they make it to watch something the more people will watch it. IOS Apps are a perfect example of how you can charge less than the desktop version and still make a boatload of money because you sell so many more copies. Release movies to streaming the same day they release to theaters. Start with a rental cost of $20. Drop to $4.99 when the DVD releases and then eventually get to $1.00. I am always intrigued on why or how Apple will rent you a movie for $2.99 that you can get for free on Netflix. Are people really that ignornat?
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Maybe I'm too old to understand this but I don't see a pun. What pun are you talking about? A Dyke in this context means levee or wall. So I see no pun in it cracking. Even with the slang term meaning lesbian I still see no pun between the two usages.

Why don't you guys let this old timer in on the joke, if there is one.

There isn't one. I think the word 'dyke' as in 'lesbian' and 'crack' as in some kind of anatomical orifice triggered something in someone that had to share. A pun would be so tenuous that it would be too embarrassing to try to figure out, let alone explain.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I finally got HBO2GO and MAX2GO for my Macs and iDevices recently. It took them long enough.

I have to say that it's pretty nice. HBO has a lot of really good series and to have all of the series available for streaming is pretty nice.

I was recently watching The Wire. I never saw that series when it was first released. It was practically made for the iPad, as it is a perfect fit, 4:3.

Except that it STILL requires you to have a subscription through a cable provider. I'd sign up in a flash if they dumped that requirement and allowed me to sign up for streaming only. I absolutely refuse to give my cable provider another nickel until they allow Ã* la carte programming.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Except that it STILL requires you to have a subscription through a cable provider.

Yeah, that's true. The only reason that I still have cable is because there's a couple of shows that my gf likes to watch. Otherwise I would have dumped it a while ago.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Debatably the best TV Series I've ever seen. At the very least top 3. Casting could not have possibly been any better. Avon, Stringer, Omar, McNulty, etc. are perfect.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Debatably the best TV Series I've ever seen. At the very least top 3. Casting could not have possibly been any better. Avon, Stringer, Omar, McNulty, etc. are perfect.

I agree. I'm on the last season right now. And it's definitely one of the best series that I've ever seen too.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Except that it STILL requires you to have a subscription through a cable provider. I'd sign up in a flash if they dumped that requirement and allowed me to sign up for streaming only. I absolutely refuse to give my cable provider another nickel until they allow Ã* la carte programming.

The a la carte plan is sometimes referred to as the Platinum Plan. You pay $150 a month and then you pick any of the channels you want for no additional fee along with complementary Internet. </s>
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The a la carte plan is sometimes referred to as the Platinum Plan. You pay $150 a month and then you pick any of the channels you want for no additional fee along with complementary Internet.

150 per month! Thats $1800 per year. You could buy a fair few seasons of content on iTunes for that.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

150 per month! Thats $1800 per year. You could buy a fair few seasons of content on iTunes for that.

People don't think like that. "Only $X/month" is how people think. If people thought about the annual cost, then they'd toss $350 minimum on top of every 3G/4G iPad annually.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Oops! forgot </s>
  • Reply 40 of 57
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

I'm OK with the interface, too. I hope that in a future iteration we will be able to mirror the aTV on an iPad (an App) and re-arrange apps 'normal' IOS style. The apps I don't use such as the NBA I'd like to hide or get rid of. If my TV navigation experience was customizable similarly to my iPhone and iPad experiences I'd be very happy.

Why would you want to mirror the AppleTV to the iPad? That seems redundant. Everything that's available for streaming on the AppleTV is already on the iPad. Unless you're talking about streaming from your local computer, in which case it would make more sense to release an app that duplicates that functionality.