Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out

Comments

• Reply 401 of 425
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Do you realize that intentionally lying about a material matter is a felony? So if you have evidence that Tim Cook is lying, why haven't you reported him to the SEC? I really love the "Apple is lying" mentality from people who have no concept what it means for a company to publicly lie about something like this.

Man, I would have assumed you were smarter than that.

That statement was easily slippery enough to be impossible to prove as a fraudulent statement. Simple as that.
  • Reply 402 of 425
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philipm View Post

...The only other game in town is Android, and that attracts a different type of buyer, the one who buys on price and who likes the ability to brick the device.

I almost choked on my coffee reading that.
  • Reply 403 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Yeah, well there's that!

I mean really I am older, but if Dick Applebaum can remember his, then I would imagine someone slightly younger could remember their own!

Actually, I have been on AI a lot longer... I had a different ID, but forgot the password...

I got caught in password/back key hell every time I tried to login to post...

Finally became so frustrated I setup a new AI account! \

• Reply 404 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

What's crazy is it only costs Apple an additional $120.03 over the price Amazon pays to get the Kindle built. The margin on the iPad is huge, 50% and we keep forking out the money, absolutely amazing. It's funny too the new Motorola Xoom 2 actually cost more to make, we all know which one we would prefer though. Although the new Xoom 2 is waterproof.

iPad 3 base model $326.60

Amazon Kindle $206.63

So in reality the iPad 3 is still a Honda CRX but with a V8 bolted to the body.

Two points:

1) Not only is the Xoom 2 waterproof -- it is buyer proof

2) The new iPad is the latest evolution of the prior two iPads At the same price -- the KFC is a Yugo with a windup motor.

• Reply 405 of 425
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

So if you didn't have any money for gas, you wouldn't accept a gift of a used Bentley Continental GT? Did it ever occur to you that you could sell it?

One winter morning I saw a homeless person on the sidewalk. He had no shoes and it was freezing. I had a pair of $200 Nikes in my back pack which I attempted to give to him. He refused the offer, to my surprise and disappointment. He did although take my offer of a dollar.
  • Reply 406 of 425
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Man, I would have assumed you were smarter than that.

That statement was easily slippery enough to be impossible to prove as a fraudulent statement. Simple as that.

Prove it.

The fact is that public companies can get in a lot of trouble for lying over a material matter. If you have evidence that Cook was lying, you ought to present it to the SEC. The reality, of course, is that Cook is far more likely to be telling the truth than some random, anonymous poster on AI.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple doesn't report the number of iPads sold to an end-user. They give various figures that can allow for a pretty good educated guess on the actual consumer sales, but Apple does not report a specific number AFAIK. As far as what they legally report to the SEC (and therefor investors) their revenue (sales) figures can include those to a reseller just as well as an end-user.

Not entirely true. Apple reports total shipments. They also report the number that are in the channel at the end of each period. Simple math tells you how many are in the consumer's hands.
  • Reply 407 of 425
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    Quote:

Not entirely true. Apple reports total shipments. They also report the number that are in the channel at the end of each period. Simple math tells you how many are in the consumer's hands.

I already said you can make a really good educated guess on the actual units that were sold to an end-user (not necessarily a consumer), but it's still a guess. IMHO, Apple doesn't give a specific number because they themselves don't know the exact figure. If they did I think they'd offer one.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...-share-apple/2
  • Reply 408 of 425
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

I almost choked on my coffee reading that.

Oh I've bricked many of iPhones in my day while doing things I shouldn't, Android isn't the only OS that's subject to such an events. I have noticed that Motorola and Samsung have become pretty much brick proof due to these phone Jedi hackers hacking the crap out of their phones. So you have to give them some Kudos for that, plus they now have an open boot loader something that Apple will never have. Big bucket of love to those manufactures who support us phone tweakers.
  • Reply 409 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This release is my first pre order of anything, my iPad 1 has convinced me that an update would be worthwhile. This is especially the case because iOS 5.1 is looking really good right now as it has that iPad running smoother than ever.

The big mystery is how many iPads did they have reserved for Preorder. If iPad 3 has been in production since December we could be talking 5 million preorders sold. That is assuming 15 million produced for launch which isn't out of the ball park. That would give them about ten million to distribute through stores at launch.

In case you are wondering I'm using a production count of 15 million a quarter, for 60 million a year. To be honest though I could see them making 20 million for launch just to try to deal with the weeks of out of stock issues they have had in the past.

Those little Asian fingers (children) are moving as fast as they can to keep up in the factories. Remember them when you think in such high volume--God bless 'em.
  • Reply 410 of 425
    Amen!
  • Reply 411 of 425
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

That's fine. I simply suggested you misunderstood what you read. It's happens to all of us. Knowing how you like to be accurate I'm sure you've already tried to find something to link and came up empty. Your statement "So far the only predictions about Win8-based tablets I've read is that they will beat out Android-based tablets." doesn't seem very likely. Perhaps you really meant it in jest.

Anyway, I see all other competitors struggling to answer Apple's iPad for a long time to come. It was an Apple created market, and Apple convinced us we needed one with exceptionally effective marketing. Anyone else trying to compete will have the added difficulty of explaining why we need theirs instead of Apple's. That's gonna be a tough sell.

I remember one analyst in a story on Barron's or Forbes saying that after Windows 8 is released, Apple will have about a year to dominate the tablet market before Win8 tablets overtake them. It was maybe 2 months ago, but unfortunately I can't remember exactly where, or the analyst's name.
  • Reply 412 of 425
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

That's fine. I simply suggested you misunderstood what you read. It's happens to all of us. Knowing how you like to be accurate I'm sure you've already tried to find something to link and came up empty. Your statement "So far the only predictions about Win8-based tablets I've read is that they will beat out Android-based tablets." doesn't seem very likely. Perhaps you really meant it in jest.

Anyway, I see all other competitors struggling to answer Apple's iPad for a long time to come. It was an Apple created market, and Apple convinced us we needed one with exceptionally effective marketing. Anyone else trying to compete will have the added difficulty of explaining why we need theirs instead of Apple's. That's gonna be a tough sell.

Try searching for "Windows 8 tablets overtake iPad" - you'll see a bunch of entries about Win8 beating the iPad for business use, and also Win8 leapfrogging Andtoid to be come the chief iPad competitor. Some of these articles are a year old, some are from last week. It may be just a PR move by Microsoft (paying analysts), but they're out there.
  • Reply 413 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I remember one analyst in a story on Barron's or Forbes saying that after Windows 8 is released, Apple will have about a year to dominate the tablet market before Win8 tablets overtake them. It was maybe 2 months ago, but unfortunately I can't remember exactly where, or the analyst's name.

Since I don't recall it at all I certainly can't say you're wrong. The positive comments I've read on a Microsoft tablet market is in enterprise, where some prognosticators said they might see success. In the overall consumer market I've not seen any indication from any mainstream source that Microsoft will even upend Android tablet sales within the next three years, much less challenge Apple.
  • Reply 414 of 425
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Yeah, well there's that!

I mean really I am older, but if Dick Applebaum can remember his, then I would imagine someone slightly younger could remember their own!

Actually though, it was a lot more complicated, and I have no idea why.

I kept entering my last known password, only to have it rejected.

OK, got it. Change my password, right?

Wrong! No matter what I chose, it would first accept the change, but then when I went to log in? Bingo. No dice.

Anyway, glad to be back. Now I know that at least ONE poster doesn't have me on their "ignore" list.

May I suggest 1Password? It can be tedious to set up at first but after you do so it's there and it's wonderful. Plus, you can make your online experience more secure by have long, virtually uncrackable passwords that are unique to every site.
  • Reply 415 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Try searching for "Windows 8 tablets overtake iPad" - you'll see a bunch of entries about Win8 beating the iPad for business use, and also Win8 leapfrogging Andtoid to be come the chief iPad competitor. Some of these articles are a year old, some are from last week. It may be just a PR move by Microsoft (paying analysts), but they're out there.

Only as an enterprise (business-use) entrant. That's not the same as beating overall Android (or Apple) tablet marketshare.

Those claims aren't "out there" AFAIK unless you have one to share.
  • Reply 416 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SavedByTechnology View Post

Anyhow, went up yesterday to see how she liked it "WONDERFUL!!!" and updated it to iOS 5.1, and the thing is running better than at any time I ever had it! Even Infinity Blade plays fine without crashing She loves the fact that she can show off her grandkids, surf the web and email...the basic stuff, which the original iPad is great for. Glad to see it found a happy home. Now I'm having iPad withdrawal symptoms and have to wait until Friday for the new one

People don't appreciate the appeal of the iPad until they've shown it to a non-tech-savvy elder. I spent 20 minutes showing off the 1st-gen to an 80-year-old great-grandfather whose grand-kids were desperate to get him finally online. Anyway, he was completely entranced: he IMMEDIATELY got the comparison of the touch interface to finger-painting, was quickly playing around with confidence, and left hugging his new prize, his family beaming around him. He is now thoroughly and happily integrated into his family's tech-savvy life.

The iPad is not a tablet. A tablet is not an iPad. Tablets won't sell to people who want iPads. If someone doesn't want an iPad, that doesn't mean they want a tablet. Apples to kumquaats.
  • Reply 417 of 425
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

People don't appreciate the appeal of the iPad until they've shown it to a non-tech-savvy elder. I spent 20 minutes showing off the 1st-gen to an 80-year-old great-grandfather whose grand-kids were desperate to get him finally online. Anyway, he was completely entranced: he IMMEDIATELY got the comparison of the touch interface to finger-painting, was quickly playing around with confidence, and left hugging his new prize, his family beaming around him. He is now thoroughly and happily integrated into his family's tech-savvy life.

The iPad is not a tablet. A tablet is not an iPad. Tablets won't sell to people who want iPads. If someone doesn't want an iPad, that doesn't mean they want a tablet. Apples to kumquaats.

Are kumquaats those little oranges that sour in the inside and sweet on the out side?
  • Reply 418 of 425
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Now I know that at least ONE poster doesn't have me on their "ignore" list.

I'll wait to read a few more of your posts before I take that action.
  • Reply 419 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Why would Samsung do that as they already supply the soc, memory and display (and maybe even more) ?

Not to offend everyone, but you're buying a samsung device with apple os and apple quality standards during production and assembly.

You missed the part where Apple designs everything.

Samsung is the manufacturer, yes, but they didn't design anything.
  • Reply 420 of 425
    Just got word from a friend at AT&T that those of us with unlimited 3G data plans will be grandfathered into unlimited 4G data plans for the "new" iPad. Stoked!