Apple releases Safari 5.1.4 with up to 11% faster JavaScript performance

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

Apple on Monday released a maitenance and security update for its Safari Web browser that promises up to an 11 percent Javascript performance boost over the previous version, in addition to delivery roughly a dozen other enhancements.

The Safari 5.1.4 update, available exclusively for Macs running Mac OS X Lion, includes changes that:

Improve JavaScript performance up to 11% over Safari 5.1.3

Improve responsiveness when typing into the search field after changing network configurations, or with an intermittent network connection

Address an issue that could cause webpages to flash white when switching between Safari windows

Address issues that prevented printing U.S. Postal Service shipping labels and embedded PDFs

Preserve links in PDFs saved from webpages

Fix an issue that could make Flash content appear incomplete after using gesture zooming

Fix an issue that could cause the screen to dim while watching HTML5 video

Improve stability, compatibility, and startup time when using extensions

Allow cookies set during regular browsing to be available after using Private Browsing

Fix an issue that could cause some data to be left behind after pressing the “Remove All Website Data” button

Apple says JavaScript performance testing was conducted in January 2012 on a 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5-based iMac 21.5-inch system using OS X Lion v10.7.3 and configured with 4 GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512 MB of VRAM. JavaScript benchmarks are based on SunSpider 0.9.1.

The last update to Safari came in February in the form of Safari 5.1.3. It came bundled with the OS X 10.7.3 update Apple released for Lion.

While Monday's update is an incremental update, more significant changes to the Web browser are coming later this year with the launch of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Safari 5.2 for Mountain Lion will sport a simplified user interface that has unified search, as well as new sharing features that make it easy to send links via the Messages application or post them on Twitter.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Love Safari updates! Keep em' coming Apple
  • Reply 2 of 38
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Already downloaded and installed. Works fine.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    jbrunijbruni Posts: 29member
    It just showed up in Software Update for my 32-bit Snow Leopard
  • Reply 4 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Safari 5.1.4 update, available exclusively for Macs running Mac OS X Lion, includes changes that:

Not true. I'm on Snow Leopard still and I just downloaded it a few minutes ago. I'm on 5.1.4 right now.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Safari 5.1.4 also available for Windows.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:

The Safari 5.1.4 update, available exclusively for Macs running Mac OS X Lion

I'm just sayin' don't forget that Windows thing... got to represent
  • Reply 7 of 38
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    Not happy Apple is moving to a non-RSS browser in Safari 5.2. I find the RSS feeds invaluable for quickly sifting through an articles list. The alternative will be accessing RSS feeds outside of Safari. That seems so un-Apple like.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Who is going to say it first ....?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

is...
  • Reply 10 of 38
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Just updated safari and efi update too, and now scrolling is horribly jerky. It was perfectly smooth previously. I'm on a 2011 i5 11.6" Air.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Just updated safari and efi update too, and now scrolling is horribly jerky. It was perfectly smooth previously. I'm on a 2011 i5 11.6" Air.

Perhaps a restart will help.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I'd say that Safari's a lot snappier, but I've been on 5.2 for a while now, so my comment on the matter doesn't apply here.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Perhaps a restart will help.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried that and it's still the same. I'll just scroll slower until there's a fix sometime down the road. On this site it's not bad but on several other sites it is. I noticed the Telegraph ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ ) now has black bars at the edges when before the whole page went to the edge. I've no idea what that's about.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday released a maitenance and security update for its Safari Web browser that promises up to an 11 percent Javascript performance boost over the previous version, in addition to delivery roughly a dozen other enhancements.

"Promised?" Have you tested it? Or are you just regurgitating another press release? Have you considered "Apple Outsider: all the press releases fit to repeat" as a name?

Is repeating unverified information really all that useful a thing to do?
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

But is it peppier?

Wait, I feel like I got that wrong...
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd say that Safari's a lot snappier, but I've been on 5.2 for a while now, so my comment on the matter doesn't apply here.

Actually your comment serves to clarify that you either:

1. Did not read the NDA you agreed to.

or

2. You willfully disregard the NDA you agreed to.

I realize you did not go into much detail but I suspect the NDA still clearly states that you are not allowed to mention anything about developer pre-release software, even its existence. Oh wait, you are an AI moderator. That explains it.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Actually your comment serves to clarify that you either:

1. Did not read the NDA you agreed to.

or

2. You willfully disregard the NDA you agreed to.

I realize you did not go into much detail but I suspect the NDA still clearly states that you are not allowed to mention anything about developer pre-release software, even its existence. Oh wait, you are an AI moderator. That explains it.

You realize this site itself blatantly ignores that, right? Nearly every single outlet ignores it. There's stuff leaked everywhere.

Why the frick can't I even say the words "Safari 5.2" without retribution?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

But is it peppier?

Wait, I feel like I got that wrong...

I like that ...
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You realize this site itself blatantly ignores that, right? Nearly every single outlet ignores it. There's stuff leaked everywhere.

Why the frick can't I even say the words "Safari 5.2" without retribution?

Didn't your mother ever say to you "…but just because everyone else is doing it doesn’t mean you have to do it. If everyone else were jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?"
  • Reply 20 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

"Promised?" Have you tested it? Or are you just regurgitating another press release? Have you considered "Apple Outsider: all the press releases fit to repeat" as a name?

Is repeating unverified information really all that useful a thing to do?

I didn't run any benchmarks on my Mac Book Pro before upgrading and can't find anything comparable. If anyone has any earlier benchmarks, they can compare the following:

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Core2Duo 3 GB RAM

Safari 5.1.4

Sunspider 0.9 369 ms

Sunspider 0.9.1 340 ms

V8 (Version 6) 3496