Apple's Jony Ive: 'If we can't make something that is better, we won't do it'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I am by no means a Samsung fanboy but geesh it's not like their copying every detail. The OS is completely different and yes it is, the only thing that is even close between the two now is iOS's notification system.

Of course they aren't copying EVERY detail. That would be impressive to the point of being impossible without actually stealing the actual process and components.
  • Reply 22 of 108
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Apple's Jony Ive: 'If we can't make something that is better, we won't do it'.

That's a bit of an oxymoron. Why would he do otherwise? Of course he would think anything he designs is better. Hockey puck mouse anyone?

I'm sure he has good intentions but don't assume it's necessarily better. Lack of a on/off switch on an Apple TV is another.
  • Reply 23 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

So Jony's role is expanding. Used to be just design, but now he's also into Corporate PR. Steve is gone, Tim is ugly, so Jon is the new "Face" of Apple.

"There is a real sense of the people who make it - LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!"

Smart move Apple.

Serious question (I can't remember)... was Jony Ive part of the iPad presentation?
  • Reply 24 of 108
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

So Jony's role is expanding. Used to be just design, but now he's also into Corporate PR. Steve is gone, Tim is ugly, so Jon is the new "Face" of Apple.

Bitter much?

Ive has been quoted many times in the past several years commenting on Apple design and products.

Do try to keep up, for a change.
  • Reply 25 of 108
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Serious question (I can't remember)... was Jony Ive part of the iPad presentation?

No- neither is he in the online infomercials. Must be because there was no major design change.

I was surprised Forstall was missing from the iOS demo. Hmmm, must be laying low.
  • Reply 26 of 108
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The only thing on a Samsung tablet that is anything like Apple is the front Bezel. That is it and the new models change that. They copy a lot less then a lot of other company's are doing

I am by no means a Samsung fanboy but geesh it's not like their copying every detail.

Well here's a detail you've overlooked.

Isn't it funny that of all the tablet manufacturers, Samsung is the one with a cable that looks very similar to Apple's?
  • Reply 27 of 108
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Saying Tim is ugly is harsh, especially since I would guess you're probably no oil painting, but he is (in my opinion) a bit dull when it comes to the product launches.

He has a tremendously calming voice, which I'm sure is a great asset in difficult meetings etc. but it doesn't lend itself to creating any "wow" factor like Steve Jobs could.
  • Reply 28 of 108
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    My nephew is an industrial design major at SJSU and is an Apple hater to boot. But he worships Jony Ive. In fact, I believe he said that Ive is virtually a god amongst his classmates.
  • Reply 29 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

No- neither is he in the online infomercials. Must be because there was no major design change.

I was surprised Forstall was missing from the iOS demo. Hmmm, must be laying low.

Hmmm... I guess this must mean that Zither is full of shit if he thinks Ive is the new face of Apple... hell, Ive wasn't even at the last huge presentation.
  • Reply 30 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Apple's Jony Ive: 'If we can't make something that is better, we won't do it'.

That's a bit of an oxymoron. Why would he do otherwise? Of course he would think anything he designs is better.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing but then realised there are those who try not to make it better, but cheaper: Dell and Amstrad are two excellent examples.

It also further underlines why Apple never made a netbook, as Steve Jobs said, netbooks aren't better at anything!
  • Reply 31 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Ah, no, see, their USB logo is larger. And they're brand-whoring on the other connector. Totally different.
  • Reply 32 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Isn't it funny that of all the tablet manufacturers, Samsung is the one with a cable that looks very similar to Apple's?

no similarity here either ....

• Reply 33 of 108
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Seeing how their idea of "better" is as basic as the 4S upgrade, that's not really saying much.
  • Reply 34 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Well, here come the hounds. I can hear them roaring over the hill. This image is more controversial than holocaust pictures in Iran.
  • Reply 35 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

"There is a real sense of the people who make it - LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!"

Smart move Apple.

Ive has been completely absent from any recent Apple events, as well as any product videos. He hasn't made ANY official company statements in recent history.

I'd like to see one post of yours on this forum that isn't completely full of shit. Maybe one day, but I doubt it. You also continue to show your depravity by insulting the physical appearance of others.
  • Reply 36 of 108
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Remove the branding, and I dare you to discern a Toyota Camry from a Honda Accord or a Hyundai Sonata. They all flipping look the same, but you don't see car manufacturers suing each other, do you?

"What? You mean their car has 4 tires, a steering wheel, and voice activated features TOO?! Get legal on the phone, NOW!!"
  • Reply 37 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One report from early this year claimed that the designer has a 50-inch prototype secretly held in his California design studio.

Or he got sick of looking at the word "Samsung" on his TV so he cut himself a new bezel using one of the CNC machines in the background
  • Reply 38 of 108
    It's a better motivation than Microsoft's: "If there's a market we don't dominate, we'll roll in and take it."
  • Reply 39 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Remove the branding, and I dare you to discern a Toyota Camry from a Honda Accord or a Hyundai Sonata. They all flipping look the same, but you don't see car manufacturers suing each other, do you?

"What? You mean their car has 4 tires, a steering wheel, and voice activated features TOO?! Get legal on the phone, NOW!!"

What a ridiculous, ridiculous analogy. The similarity of those 2 phones is analogous that cars have tires and wheels? How many phones looked like that before the iPhone? Let's discern the similarities in that pic:

- Almost identical shape

- identical number and arrangement of icons (4x4 grid)

- identical concept of a dock

- same gray dock background

- black background

- same concept of dots to symbolize # of screens

- eerily similar icons. ie why did the phone icon need to havr the same green background color, the same handset shape and angle, etc. There's an infinite # of ways to design it.

There wasn't a single phone that looked anywhere near this before the iPhone, never mind the numerous amounts of small and large details that are shamelessly identical, and which could have easily been done countless other ways. An equivalent analogy to your car example would be 'phones have a screen, have a speaker, earpiece, and make calls'. Extending it to include the countless specific similarities in that photo is idiotic. Car manufacturers have been pretty good at making unique designs. That comment of yours seems like a shameless troll, because you can't possibly believe what you said.
  • Reply 40 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

They all flipping look the same, but you don't see car manufacturers suing each other, do you?

Actually, you do if you look in the right place:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/7331/chi...pying-designs/