Apple releases Safari 5.1.4 with up to 11% faster JavaScript performance

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Didn't your mother ever say to you "…but just because everyone else is doing it doesn’t mean you have to do it. If everyone else were jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?"

If I were, say, leaking a new unreleased product or showing people source code, of course that applies.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday released a maitenance and security update for its Safari Web browser that promises up to an 11 percent Javascript performance boost over the previous version, in addition to delivery roughly a dozen other enhancements.

The Safari 5.1.4 update, available exclusively for Macs running Mac OS X Lion, includes changes that:

Improve JavaScript performance up to 11% over Safari 5.1.3

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Hi,

I upgraded to the new version of Safari and I can no longer access Gmail. While I see the side bar and main body of messages never loads.

Any thoughts? Do i need to go back to the older version?
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If I were, say, leaking a new unreleased product or showing people source code, of course that applies.

That is how it works now-a-days, people maintain a selective interpretation of the law and giving one's word.

I wasn't breaking the law I was only speeding and I didn't even hurt anyone.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

That is how it works now-a-days, people maintain a selective interpretation of the law and giving one's word.

I wasn't breaking the law I was only speeding and I didn't even hurt anyone.

Shouldn't your complaint be taken up with AI, then, as they've done several articles on Mountain Lion that revealed far more than the version number of a single application.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shouldn't your complaint be taken up with AI, then, as they've done several articles on Mountain Lion that revealed far more than the version number of a single application.

If you refer to my first statement you may be able to infer a subtle jab at AI. If not, refer to statement 2 where I reminded of your mother's likely admonishment.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I just upgraded. Safari is fast as hell and very responsive. I can't wait for 5.2 to come out. It's going to scream

I'd like to see Apple have the fastest, minimalist, AND most privacy-friendly browser on the planet. Privacy is a key differentiator vs. Google
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried that and it's still the same. I'll just scroll slower until there's a fix sometime down the road. On this site it's not bad but on several other sites it is. I noticed the Telegraph ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ ) now has black bars at the edges when before the whole page went to the edge. I've no idea what that's about.

The Telegraph has had a black background "bars" down the side of the main pages since they introduced an updated website some 12 months or so ago.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    After upgrading I'm encountering an odd issue where some text on some web pages increase in size (as if zoomed in once) after the page finishes loading. I encountered this once with a WebKit nightly build and ditched it. Guess I'll have to figure it out this time...

Is anyone familiar with this odd problem?
  • Reply 29 of 38
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Actually your comment serves to clarify that you either:

1. Did not read the NDA you agreed to.

or

2. You willfully disregard the NDA you agreed to.

I realize you did not go into much detail but I suspect the NDA still clearly states that you are not allowed to mention anything about developer pre-release software, even its existence. Oh wait, you are an AI moderator. That explains it.

If you don't like NDA violations, WHY ARE YOU HERE?!!???

This site is called AppleInsider. It's SUPPOSED to have information that is unreleased. That's why I read it, I want the scoop on what's coming, not what's already been announced.

Here's a suggestion for you. If you only want to see what's already been announced and don't want to be bothered by people talking about NDA violations, there's a perfect site for you:

http://www.apple.com/
  • Reply 30 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

If you don't like NDA violations, WHY ARE YOU HERE?!!???

This site is called AppleInsider. It's SUPPOSED to have information that is unreleased. That's why I read it, I want the scoop on what's coming, not what's already been announced.

Here's a suggestion for you. If you only want to see what's already been announced and don't want to be bothered by people talking about NDA violations, there's a perfect site for you:

http://www.apple.com/

What makes you think that the only information about unreleased products comes from NDA violations? It's entirely possible to gather information and speculate about new products without violating an NDA.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

I noticed the Telegraph ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ ) now has black bars at the edges when before the whole page went to the edge. I've no idea what that's about.

It means it's accurately rendering the page.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's entirely possible to gather information and speculate about new products without violating an NDA.

So the DigiTimes model?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tinker15 View Post

The Telegraph has had a black background "bars" down the side of the main pages since they introduced an updated website some 12 months or so ago.

That's not what I recall on Safari. It used to be plain white for me, earlier on today black, and now static horse racing photos. Maybe I just had a bad wifi connection briefly, or something.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

After upgrading I'm encountering an odd issue where some text on some web pages increase in size (as if zoomed in once) after the page finishes loading. I encountered this once with a WebKit nightly build and ditched it. Guess I'll have to figure it out this time...

Is anyone familiar with this odd problem?

Nope, never. Do you have a website where it happens you can post to try it out?
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

That's not what I recall on Safari. It used to be plain white for me, earlier on today black, and now static horse racing photos. Maybe I just had a bad wifi connection briefly, or something.

Well if it was rendering differently than you had a bug or you changed something specifically for the site. You can even check the CSS of the page to see that that's the way it's supposed to render and it does so in Safari, Chrome, Firefox and IE. To quote their CSS:

media="screen"

body, body.olympicsBody {

background: #262626 url('../i/tmglBody.gif') repeat-y center top;

color: #282828;

font-family: georgia,"times new roman",times,serif;

font-size: 62.5%;

margin: 0;

padding: 0;

}

In the Javascript console in Chrome if I uncheck the background property it's all white. The #262626 color is a dark gray color.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Fix an issue that could cause the screen to dim while watching HTML5 video

can anybody confirm this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not true. I'm on Snow Leopard still and I just downloaded it a few minutes ago. I'm on 5.1.4 right now.

may i ask why didn't you upgrade to Lion yet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Not happy Apple is moving to a non-RSS browser in Safari 5.2. I find the RSS feeds invaluable for quickly sifting through an articles list. The alternative will be accessing RSS feeds outside of Safari. That seems so un-Apple like.

i have always read RSS in Mail app and i have never liked using it in safari.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    mrialmrial Posts: 10member
    Anyone else having problems with www.bing.com/maps/ in Safari 5.1.4? Zoom, controls and links for driving directions not working. Works fine in Firefox.

Edit: Found problem. Safari was locked in 32 bit mode. When I changed it to 64 bit, everything works normally. gmail wasn't displaying properly either but now that's all good too.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

may i ask why didn't you upgrade to Lion yet?

I cannot talk about the other member but I can talk about myself. I upgraded to Snow Leopard just in the beginning of this year. Before taking the step to upgrade, I always prefer to wait and see if my existing software will run correctly and if X11 and associated applications are ready.

Sometimes I wait even more if there is no compelling reason to upgrade. On the positive side this gives me a more mature operating system and, hopefully, a smoother upgrade path. I just cannot afford to be with a not fully operational machine while projects are running and deadlines are nearing. So Lion will take some time before it installs to any of my machines.