Samsung official claims Apple plans to release 7.85-inch iPad this year

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Adding to rumors of a smaller iPad from Apple, an unnamed Samsung official allegedly told an Korean publication that the company plans to release a 7.85-inch tablet later this year.

The detail was included in a recent report from Korea Times, as highlighted on Tuesday by SlashGear. Citing an anonymous Samsung source, it was said that Apple is expected to buy about $11 billion in total components for a range of devices, including a smaller iPad.

The current contract between Samsung and Apple is said to be for about $9.7 billion in parts. But that contract is expected to grow to about $11 billion as Apple secures display panels, flash storage, chips and more.

Apple bought an estimated $7.8 billion in parts from Samsung in 2011, making Apple the single largest customer of Samsung. In addition to supplying components, Samsung also builds its own devices that compete with companies like Apple in the smartphone, PC, media player and tablet markets.

The source quoted in the original report claims that the smaller iPad will "probably" have a 7.85-inch screen. That's the same size that has been referenced in numerous other reports.

The Wall Street Journal reported in February that Apple was working with its overseas suppliers to test a new iPad model with a smaller form factor of around 8 inches. However, it was cautioned that Apple works with suppliers to test new designs regularly, but such devices do not always see the light of day.

Since the Journal chimed in, reports claiming Apple is at work on a smaller iPad model have picked up considerable steam. This month alone it has been claimed that Apple has inked a deal with AU Optronics for displays for the device, while production is expected to begin in the third quarter of 2012.

And on Monday, another rumor from the Far East claimed that Apple will utilize a "slim bezel display" for its 7.85-inch iPad, with screens expected to be supplied by LG Display and AU Optronics. The new, smaller iPad is rumored to be targeted toward the sub-$300 market, priced at either $249 or $299 to more directly compete with the $199 Amazon Kindle Fire.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 134
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    It'd be funny if they released it as the new iPod touch. Don't know why, but it'd make me laugh.
  • Reply 2 of 134
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, it could be true and if so, Apple should slam Samsung with a lawsuit for breaking (what I'm sure must be) NDAs.
  • Reply 3 of 134
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

It'd be funny if they released it as the new iPod touch. Don't know why, but it'd make me laugh.

Quite possible. Since the touch is declining year over year, this could be a way to bring more business to it... make it a bit bigger, Retina display, better for gaming...
  • Reply 4 of 134
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is the old* tactic that MS usually pulls to get others to give up before they start. For Samsung to say this makes me think this isn't going to happen.

* Yes, I know it's much older than MS.
  • Reply 5 of 134
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Sue them!! Right here right now! NDA breach!
  • Reply 6 of 134
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

Sue them!! Right here right now! NDA breach!

No contract for you!
  • Reply 7 of 134
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quite possible. Since the touch is declining year over year, this could be a way to bring more business to it... make it a bit bigger, Retina display, better for gaming...

I don't think a bigger 'touch' is a joke by any stretch of the imagination.

The rumored screen is almost exactly 2X current size (4x area) so scaling of existing iPhone/touch apps to retina (with updated graphics) would be simple.

Lets face it... Windows 8 has shown what seems to be a logical model of having the dev environment offer options for all potential layouts, including side-by-side and tiles.

I don't think its any stretch to assume that Apple is heading in the same direction, allowing developers to scale to any size device they want right up front.

And with 2 years since last touch update, this fall would be the perfect time to release the new, large format touch.

I think it would be brilliant... scale up to 7", not down to 7". No finger files necessary.
  • Reply 8 of 134
    Why would a Samsung source tell the media some rumor like this? It could adversely affect any Android tablet sales and have those consumers waiting for the lower-cost mini-iPad. It wouldn't hurt current iPad sales at all, because most iPad users likely want a 9.7" display. I don't know why these sources are always letting these types of rumors slip. For the most part, I think they're practically useless rumors, though.
  • Reply 9 of 134
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

iPod Xl makes all your games and movies...and I got nothing.

iPod Xl could be awesome, just don't let me market it.
  • Reply 10 of 134
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Well, it could be true and if so, Apple should slam Samsung with a lawsuit for breaking (what I'm sure must be) NDAs.

Samsung execs may not have worked with Apple enough to know that secrecy is involved. And they probably sign a lot of stuff without reading it. I?m sure Apple will just chuckle at the leak... or the misinformation, whichever. No biggie between friends!
  • Reply 11 of 134
    ka47ka47 Posts: 25member
    Samsung is just trying to discourage people from buying an iPad now with these useless rumors. Maybe they hope to catch up with Apple...
  • Reply 12 of 134
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The rumored screen is almost exactly 2X current size (4x area) so scaling of existing iPhone/touch apps to retina (with updated graphics) would be simple.

it's also perfect for scaling down existing iPad apps, assuming a retina display. And if the price point were low enough for a bare-bones wifi model, it would destroy the Fire.
  • Reply 13 of 134
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

I think that is exactly what is happening. Why else would they do nothing with the touch last fall. Either they are killing it or about to totally revamp it. And a new size would make it more that just n iPhone that doesn't make calls
  • Reply 14 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think that is exactly what is happening. Why else would they do nothing with the touch last fall. Either they are killing it or about to totally revamp it. And a new size would make it more that just n iPhone that doesn't make calls

Factor in the changes to the iPad name for version 3.

Should be an interesting year.
  • Reply 15 of 134
    [translation]

Samsung, "DO NOT BUY THE NEW IPAD WHICH IS JUST RELEASED."

(btw, I'm a Korean, and I'm very much aware of Samsung's way.)
  • Reply 16 of 134
    If somebody from Samsung said this, then it's true. I used to work for a company that tried (emphasis on "tried") to do PR for Samsung in the U.S.. Whenever Samsung was about to announce a new product, some moron in Korea would shoot his mouth off about it and the trade press would be all over the story. Then the morons who worked for Samsung in the U.S. could never understand why we couldn't get coverage a second time in the trades when they actually officially announced the product. Apple had better get used to Samsung announcing any product they're involved with for them--that's the way it's going to be as long as they use Samsung as a supplier.
  • Reply 17 of 134
    y2any2an Posts: 189member
    Fascinating. Current contract: $9.7 billion and the iPad has a 9.7 inch screen. Parts bought in 2011: $7.8 billion, and the rumour is a 7.85 inch screen. Coincidence, or mixed facts lost in translation?
  • Reply 18 of 134
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Netimoon View Post

[translation]

Samsung, "DO NOT BUY THE NEW IPAD WHICH IS JUST RELEASED."

(btw, I'm a Korean, and I'm very much aware of Samsung's way.)

That probably is their angle, but if so that is so weak.
  • Reply 19 of 134
    I have an iPad2 and an iPhone4 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7

Let me tell you. The iPad2 (and new Ipad) is nice but too heavy. The iPhone screen is too small. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 has a beautiful Super AMOLED screen (1200x800) that is what Apple wants. It is vastly superior to yesterday's IPS LCD! the Tab is also very light, thin and has a 10+ hour battery. Apple has to compete with this superior tech.
  • Reply 20 of 134
    This could also be for an automotive display of some kind.... perhaps that's the huge surprise in store.

I do not believe that Apple will sabotage its own fabulously successful, highly profitable iPad to try and compete with something like the Fire, which, for all we know, could have totally bombed in the marketplace (as every other small tablet has), after a brief spurt during the Christmas season.