16gb, 32gb prob not 64gb?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
since buying my parents an ipad2 for xmas and playing with it enough to realize i want one, i have decided to grab (when available) the "new ipad" for my household. My only concern is which size to get? it will be used by me, the wife & our 2 boys. This is going to be for entertainment/web surfing only because i have a macbook, everyone else has a laptop and are going to get a "family" imac when i finish some renovations at home. i bought my parents a 16gb and even with all their the apps they havent even exceeded 1.5gb used. i have an iphone and ipod touch and both have less than 3gb used. I also plan on grabbing a appleTV box and figure i'll use this ipad for movies and stuff instead of the macbook but i'll only be renting titles i dont keep a library of movies/shows watched. if i did start to fiil it up with photos and music i assume i can run an external drive or time capsule and just store it there?

some advice to more experienced users wouyld be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

since buying my parents an ipad2 for xmas and playing with it enough to realize i want one, i have decided to grab (when available) the "new ipad" for my household. My only concern is which size to get? it will be used by me, the wife & our 2 boys. This is going to be for entertainment/web surfing only because i have a macbook, everyone else has a laptop and are going to get a "family" imac when i finish some renovations at home. i bought my parents a 16gb and even with all their the apps they havent even exceeded 1.5gb used. i have an iphone and ipod touch and both have less than 3gb used. I also plan on grabbing a appleTV box and figure i'll use this ipad for movies and stuff instead of the macbook but i'll only be renting titles i dont keep a library of movies/shows watched. if i did start to fiil it up with photos and music i assume i can run an external drive or time capsule and just store it there?

some advice to more experienced users wouyld be greatly appreciated!

I had an original iPad and got the 64GB model. I didn't even come remotely close to using 16gb. I pre-ordered the 16 GB model this time around. As long as you aren't storing large amounts of media, I think the 16gb should be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robotkiller View Post

I had an original iPad and got the 64GB model. I didn't even come remotely close to using 16gb. I pre-ordered the 16 GB model this time around. As long as you aren't storing large amounts of media, I think the 16gb should be fine.

thanks, i figure the 64 is way overkill and am leaning more towards the 16gb. just dont wanna be stuck without enough memory. i figured more people would have similar problems.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I'm in a different situation, I guess. The iPad 2 was my first iPad, and I got the 32GB version. A few months before the new iPad was announced, I ran out of space and had to start deleting things. I had no music on it and had one 2GB video on. The rest was purely from apps.

I love downloading all the paid apps that go free to give them a go. Often times I like them, so I keep them. I had it all neatly organized. Since I rely on my phone's 3G internet (hotspotting) most of the time, if there's a chance I'll use the app a few times a week at least, I'll keep it on my iPad.

And so I went, mindlessly downloading apps, deleting most, but keeping a few. Before I knew it, I was out of space! Thus, I purchased the 64GB version.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    osminosmin Posts: 10member
    I got a 32 ipad 1, and quickly filled it with music, photos, and vids. I like to have some vids stored for travel and they eat up lots of space. Went 64g this time. That way, i dont have to think about it anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

thanks, i figure the 64 is way overkill and am leaning more towards the 16gb. just dont wanna be stuck without enough memory. i figured more people would have similar problems.

One man's "adequate" is another's "insufficient." You can't base your usage on your parents. If you have kids and expect to travel at some point then 32GB is a minimum. We took a 2-week long road trip with relatives (including 2 small kids) just after we purchased our 32GB original iPads (we loaded a different batch of movies on each for added storage). It made the car time much more bearable for the kids to watch videos or play games. 16GB wouldn't cut it because of the length of time we were away from WiFi (and usable 3G). Add to that the new iPad's HD video capabilities (it may not be your primary video camera but since it exists people will be using it on occasion) and 16GB sounds pretty limited.

But if it never leaves your house then don't bother with anything larger than 16GB.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

One man's "adequate" is another's "insufficient." You can't base your usage on your parents. If you have kids and expect to travel at some point then 32GB is a minimum. We took a 2-week long road trip with relatives (including 2 small kids) just after we purchased our 32GB original iPads (we loaded a different batch of movies on each for added storage). It made the car time much more bearable for the kids to watch videos or play games. 16GB wouldn't cut it because of the length of time we were away from WiFi (and usable 3G). Add to that the new iPad's HD video capabilities (it may not be your primary video camera but since it exists people will be using it on occasion) and 16GB sounds pretty limited.

But if it never leaves your house then don't bother with anything larger than 16GB.

If anyone plans on putting music or video on the iPad, then I would recommend 64gb. In my case, with prior knowledge of how I used my iPad1, I will be putting exactly no music or video on the thing. I will have some games and a few other apps. Maybe 20-50 apps total. 80% of my usage will be browsing, 10% games and 10% magazines. I will also be using the iPad as a music server - streaming Mog to my powered speakers via Airplay. No books. If 16 GB ends up being too little for that, then 16GB shouldn't exist.

If you aren't sure, then 32GB is a safe bet.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

I agree especially now with iCloud, Dropbox and Box for online storage. I would open up up a Skydrive account from Microsoft, you get 25gb of free storage unlike Apples 5gb.

If your really into media like videos then the iPad is defiantly the wrong platform for you. Unless of course you only buy from Apple then by all means the iPad is the best. But if you have lots of movies with different codecs then an Android tablet is your best bet as you can play pretty much every codec possible, plus most have miniSD cards and a file manager to manage your collection

Go for the 16gb model its a good price and you have plenty of online storage. When you want more storage you can always Jail-break your device, purchase the photo kit for SD card support, then purchase iFiles to read and write your videos to the SD card. Very cool, I just did it with my iPad 2.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

If anyone plans on putting music or video on the iPad, then I would recommend 64gb. In my case, with prior knowledge of how I used my iPad1, I will be putting exactly no music or video on the thing. I will have some games and a few other apps. Maybe 20-50 apps total. 80% of my usage will be browsing, 10% games and 10% magazines. I will also be using the iPad as a music server - streaming Mog to my powered speakers via Airplay. No books. If 16 GB ends up being too little for that, then 16GB shouldn't exist.

If you aren't sure, then 32GB is a safe bet.

Man it pisses me off to no end that Apple refuses to add a MiniSD card to their tablets. These problems of storage wouldn't exsist. I really want a new iPad but the lack of a file manger and MiniSD card really annoy me. I use my iPad mostly for the awsome music creation apps but every day I find my self wanting to have a MiniSD card filled with samples, I could have ome card for precussion instruments, one for bass and so on.

I'm getting one anyway what am I talking about. Here's hopeing iOS 6 brings us a file manger at least. So I could mount my external HD drives. I dont want to fill the device with gigs of samples when I only need a few at a time.