Samsung is sole supplier of Apple's iPad Retina displays - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Yes, but Apple contributes only about 5% to Samsung's overall revenue.

Samsung could get along quite well without apple. But without Samsung, Apple would not be able to make the iPad.

Samsung is a highly diversified global conglomerate, while Apple is more of a one-trick pony in comparison, who puts all of its eggs into the consumer gadget basket.
  • Reply 42 of 160
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

So why is your rival creating your product?

Isn't this like the mafia sharing family secrets with the police chief?

It's an uncomfortable marriage of talented, demanding screamers.
  • Reply 43 of 160
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Apple would be up the creek without a paddle if it weren't for Samsung.

And Samsung's bottom line wouldn't suffer if Apple did do business with them? Just because there is a rumour that Samsung is Apple's best option that doesn't mean it's their only option. They might have to pay more per display due to more rejects or from hiring out more factories or building their own but we're talking about production here.

Your argument is like saying "Apple would be up the creek without a paddle if it weren't for Foxccon" or "...inexpensive Chinese labour." or any number of things that effect the industry. In the end Apple will get their products made some how and Samsung will get customers. This is commerce not HS.
  • Reply 44 of 160
    They got enough cash to buy ARM holdings and LG display co LTD and not even feel it. Buy all of the part manufacturers and create your own vertical market!
  • Reply 45 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Samsung could get along quite well without apple. But without Samsung, Apple would not be able to make the iPad.

Samsung is a highly diversified global conglomerate, while Apple is more of a one-trick pony in comparison, who puts all of its eggs into the consumer gadget basket.

That's a pretty talented Pony then if their market cap is about $100 bil more than Exxon, the number two company in market cap in the world,
  • Reply 46 of 160
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

I thought that Royal Dutch Shell was Samsung's biggest customer, followed by the government of the United Arab Emirates?

Where did you get your information? Are you mistaking the subsidiary, Samsung Electronics, for the parent company?

Correct, thank you. So where does that leave the steaming piece of FUD you are trying to leave here?
  • Reply 47 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

They got enough cash to buy ARM holdings and LG display co LTD and not even feel it. Buy all of the part manufacturers and create your own vertical market!

I'd think it's because it's not the best solution. Check out Foxconn's revenue to profit ratio and you see a problem in 2010 they took in $60 billion and netted $2.3 billion... and that's with a 31% increase YoY in profits. Some things are just cheaper and better to hire out.
  • Reply 48 of 160
    duplicate
  • Reply 49 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And Samsung's bottom line wouldn't suffer if Apple did do business with them?

Somewhat. Nothing big, however.

Samsung is highly diversified.

Apple, OTOH, relies heavily on Samsung as a supplier for many important products that currently could not be built without them.
  • Reply 50 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Hi nequidnemis! So glad you found another forum to troll with your pseudo arrogance. How's the view at Gough @ Geary today?

Nope, not I. Sorry you got caught up in with the rest of the pretend worriers in the peanut gallery. Watch out if you find yourself on the same side as ZZZ.
  • Reply 51 of 160
    Ok. Somebody please explain this to me. The iPhone 4 and 4S have a higher pixel density than the iPad. So why so many problems producing this panel compared to the older higher pixel density one the iPhone has. And yes, I know the panels in the iPad are larger than the one in the iPhone. It just strikes me as odd.
  • Reply 52 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

That's a pretty talented Pony then if their market cap is about $100 bil more than Exxon, the number two company in market cap in the world,

Yes. An extememly talented pony.

Nevertheless, Apple is not diversified.
  • Reply 53 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Correct, thank you. So where does that leave the steaming piece of FUD you are trying to leave here?

It is now in your consciousnesses.

You are welcome.
  • Reply 54 of 160
    Quote:

Somewhat. Nothing big, however.

Samsung is highly diversified.

Apple, OTOH, relies heavily on Samsung as a supplier for many important products that currently could not be built without them.

And then Apple would use its cash to fund someone else to build for them instead. An inconvenience for a while and then Samsung loses a major customer.
  • Reply 55 of 160
    Apologies to everyone for having engaged the troll and brought the thread to this level. I lost it again. Sorry.

Back to the topic, the displaysearch articles on this indicate that the pixel density is at the limit of possibility for these screens. My question would be, why have they exceeded the barrier with the 3.5" screens. Are they not Super High Aperture? If not, why not? There's a lot not being discussed in the regular blog press, or am I missing it?
  • Reply 56 of 160
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    1. We'll see if Samsung experiences mysterious "production problems" that suppress iPad sales. But no, that would be dirty pool. Samsung wouldn't deliberately hold back iPad screens from Apple. Would they?

2. It's just a matter of time before LG and Sharp can match Samsung's quality, yields, and pricing. But it's quite possible that Sharp is busy working on, say, 60" screens for some future Apple product in the meantime.
  • Reply 57 of 160
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Ruh-roh.

Hope LG and Sharp get their act together.
  • Reply 58 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

1. We'll see if Samsung experiences mysterious "production problems" that suppress iPad sales. But no, that would be dirty pool. Samsung wouldn't deliberately hold back iPad screens from Apple. Would they?

2. It's just a matter of time before LG and Sharp can match Samsung's quality, yields, and pricing. But it's quite possible that Sharp is busy working on, say, 60" screens for some future Apple product in the meantime.

1) If they did that it would be a short term strategy that would end up hurting Samsung even if they could get away with it from a legal stand point.

2) I'm sure there are contracts guaranteeing a certain yield or they will incur penalties.
  • Reply 59 of 160
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Apologies to everyone for having engaged the troll and brought the thread to this level. I lost it again. Sorry.

The 'troll' was factually correct. 'This level' appears to be no higher then the usual juvenile Samsung witch burning so prevalent in this forum.
  • Reply 60 of 160
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't recall ever seeing a story about Apple engineering their own displays. I'd personally think it more likely that Apple put out a set of specs they wanted matched and took bids on who could meet the requirements. Just a guess of course in the absence of any evidence that it was Apple who did the design work rather than a display manufacturer. Always a possibility Apple did the screen engineering or some significant part of it.

Your comment is pretty sensible. My guess is Apple doesn't engineer display technology at all but they do have design engineers to tell them what they want or don't want. Apple is a company that prides itself on doing only what they know best. If we had inside information, it probably would show that Apple is a component investor and doesn't design every bit of its IP technology. They do seem to buy it a lot.

On the Samsung vs Apple. These companies are, like one poster above said, big boys. They don't bite off their nose to spite their face.