Samsung official claims Apple plans to release 7.85-inch iPad this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

I have an iPad2 and an iPhone4 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7

Let me tell you. The iPad2 (and new Ipad) is nice but too heavy. The iPhone screen is too small. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 has a beautiful Super AMOLED screen (1200x800) that is what Apple wants. It is vastly superior to yesterday's IPS LCD! the Tab is also very light, thin and has a 10+ hour battery. Apple has to compete with this superior tech.

Really? How many has it sold? How big is this market segment?

How do you explain the fact that 55 million of the "heavy" iPads have been sold in less than two years?
  • Reply 22 of 134
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Maybe take the time to read the initial article before falling into allegations and conspiracy theories... The unnamed official is mostly speaking of part sales, mentioning the mac book and a mini Ipad on the margin. For the later it will nonetheless be funny to see those who used to ridicule such screen size now buying it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How do you explain the fact that 55 million of the "heavy" iPads have been sold in less than two years?

Constant and systematical free advertisement, then bandwagon mentality? Who knows.
  • Reply 23 of 134
    abarryabarry Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

It'd be funny if they released it as the new iPod touch. Don't know why, but it'd make me laugh.

I think that Apple would not call any idevice less that 9.7" an iPad. I do think that the company will come out with a 6-7" iPod Touch sometime in the near future.
  • Reply 24 of 134
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KA47 View Post

Samsung is just trying to discourage people from buying an iPad now with these useless rumors. Maybe they hope to catch up with Apple...

My thought too ...
  • Reply 25 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Constant and systematical free advertisement, then bandwagon mentality? Who knows.

And what about Androids? The same thing?
  • Reply 26 of 134
    Quote:

None of what you said has anything to do with what he said.
  • Reply 27 of 134
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Why would a Samsung source tell the media some rumor like this? It could adversely affect any Android tablet sales and have those consumers waiting for the lower-cost mini-iPad.

Think it through. You don't think that Samsung would like to tell the world about an extra $2 B in orders from Apple?

You see, Samsung's tablets are a tiny, tiny piece of Samsung. Given all the rumors about Apple pulling business away from Samsung, it's clearly in Samsung's interest to let people know that Apple is not only continuing to do business with them, but also increasing their business. That will translate directly to more solid share prices.
  • Reply 28 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rasparagus View Post

If somebody from Samsung said this, then it's true.

Even if they hold a genuine info, the questions of whether they leak it as it is or not, is a different matter.

They lie everyday, thru local presses they practically own(being a majority shareholder, sponsorship, bribing to journalists, manipulating people by using Nationalism, etc..), which is about 98% of all media in Korea.

Want some examples?

"Steve Jobs admitted that Samsung Galaxy is better than iPhone, thus decided to sue Samsung for plagiarism."

"Samsung founder Mr. Lee taught Steve Jobs how to ruin a company in 1980s. And now Mr. Jobs turned Mr. Lee's favor into betrayal, suing Samsung."

"Apple is guilty of infringing Samsung's patents." (deliberately omitting that patents are under F.R.A.N.D. agreement)

"Several American media praised Samsung Galaxy over iPhone, saying that Galaxy is world's best smartphone." (I discovered the original posts and found out, they chose Samsung Galaxy as the best Android phone, not the best smartphone. There's a huge difference between two expressions.)

"iPhone fever in China is false. All the Chinese people waiting in line in front of Apple Store Shanghai are hired by Apple." (that was a misinterpretation by a Korean journalist. Some of that people were actually hired by other rich people who want iPhone on their hands first, not by Apple. But the journalist never published a correction. Guess why.)

"Steve Jobs was afraid of Samsung Galaxy, so decided to put Tim Cook on stage instead of himself. Thus he can blame Tim Cook's inadequacy for iPhone 4S' expected failure." (one day after this press is published, Mr. Jobs died. Then, this preposterous internet article magically disappeared, without any explanation.)

These are tiny evidence of actual article headlines published last year (there are a lot more). And most of Koreans believe what they read, with ignorance of our(Korean) presses are under Samsung's control. (exclude me and a few.)

This is why Republic of S.(south) Korea is actually pronounced as Republic of Samsung Korea(삼성공화국).
  • Reply 29 of 134
    Quote:

Samsung is just trying to discourage people from buying an iPad now with these useless rumors. Maybe they hope to catch up with Apple...

OTOneH, this makes sense. Any suggestion to make a buyer 'wait' for an iPad Mini (or iPod Maxi), is a delay Samsung the device manufacturer (as opposed to the component manufacturer... who wants as many iPads purchased as possible) wants to allow it to get it's device to market first and establish a 7.x" beachhead of 'wow, other than not being an iPad... it's pretty good' reviews.

OTOtherH, this could just be a samsung supply chain official who, other than supplying components to Samsung and Apple, doesn't give a hoot about what Samsung the Android tablet maker division thinks. He was just seduced by a few dollars of drinks by a investing reporter.
  • Reply 30 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

It'd be funny if they released it as the new iPod touch. Don't know why, but it'd make me laugh.

They should call it the Kindle Fire Stomper.
  • Reply 31 of 134
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

I don't think he was bringing down the current iPad just saying that the Samsung 7.7 is pretty amazing and if Apple is to release a smaller sized iPad then this is the one to beat. I happen to agree with him as I just purchased one last week and I have to say it's hands down the best tablet (hardware wise) that I have ever owned and I've pretty much owned them all.

That screen, I just can't get over it. The blacks are so pure it's impossible to see where the bezel starts. Yes I'm full aware that Apple has a new iPad 3 with a Retna display but until mine is delivered to the door the Samsung holds supreme in the screen area. I'm not just talking resolution which is modest 1280 x 800 with 196 dpi for a 7" but the colors are mind blowing amazing.

I happen to really love the 7.7 inch tablet form factor and find it to be the best for everyday use out side the house. If Apple is indeed thinking about releasing one then I'm defiantly all over it. Will gladly sell my new iPad 3 to buy it to as I'm only getting one to play with.
  • Reply 32 of 134
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Does anybody else find it odd that this rumor is released on the same day that Bloomberg reports that the new iPad Retina screens are all made by Samsung.

Is Samsung mocking Apple?
  • Reply 33 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post

They should call it the Kindle Fire Stomper.

Oh man the Kindle is the biggest piece of crap OS wise. I don't know anyone who would want one. Any time I get somebody who's thinking of buying one I always steer them to the Nook. Root it and install ICS on it and you have a much better tablet.
  • Reply 34 of 134
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:

you won't get an answer, most likely, because none of your questions had anything to do with spacevator's comments.
  • Reply 35 of 134
    I did a quick calculation, If you have the same DPI as the iPhone 4/4S (326 DPI), and apply that to a 2048 x 1536 resolution, you get 7.85" screen. What is it good for? the size of paperback books and little notepad is perfect for people who thinks the iPad is too big and too heavy.
  • Reply 36 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

Does anybody else find it odd that this rumor is released on the same day that Bloomberg reports that the new iPad Retina screens are all made by Samsung.

Is Samsung mocking Apple?

I don't think so, why would they? Besides hasn't Samsung always made the screens for the iPad. I know if you want the best in screen manufacturing Samsung is defiantly your guy. Their SAMOLED technology is die for, I can't wait to buy a TV with that technology. We have one of their LED 8000 Series Smart TV's and good god that thing is incredible, I can't imagine they have something that will blow that away in just a few months.

DLNA is also a very useful tech, when I download a movie off of the net in full HD, sshhhh. All I have to do is choose the Samsung TV as the receiver and push play and it streams without hick ups flawlessly. Samsung DLNA tech was a big reason I bought the Samsung Galaxy 7.7. The Samsung TV and tablet were made for each other.

Can I do this on a iPad 3 as well because that would be great. Wait I think all I need is the Apple TV to do that, if that's so I'm going down to the Apple store tomorrow.
  • Reply 37 of 134
    Quote:

Samsung is just trying to discourage people from buying an iPad now with these useless rumors.

Given that Samsung makes big bucks every time someone buys an iPad, I don't see that as making a much sense at all.
  • Reply 38 of 134
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Netimoon View Post

[translation]

Samsung, "DO NOT BUY THE NEW IPAD WHICH IS JUST RELEASED."

(btw, I'm a Korean, and I'm very much aware of Samsung's way.)

I heard some people talk bad (sometimes with sly jokes or jabs) about Koreans in general on this board (due to Samsung's home country).

I've read statements that all Koreans were "copy" cats because of one company.

They even started throwing in companies from other industries into the mix (like Hyundai and Kia for instance)

Are you a "copy cat" too?

You should be offended.
  • Reply 39 of 134
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Speaking of iPod, what ever happened to Samsung's version of the iPod? I think it launched last year to a lot of marketing
  • Reply 40 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

you won't get an answer, most likely, because none of your questions had anything to do with spacevator's comments.

I think he's saying that because Apple makes outsized profits, nothing else could possibly be any good.

It is a common viewpoint around here.