First unboxing video of Apple's new iPad surfaces from Vietnam

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A first look at the new iPad being unpackaged and handled has surfaced from Vietnam, where users got their hands on an LTE-capable model days ahead of Friday's official launch.

The new video comes from Tinh.te ( Google Translate), which noted there are not many differences in the design of Apple's new iPad from the iPad 2. It said the new iPad is still a "very solid machine like the iPad 2, but is somewhat heavier and thicker."

The main difference was said to be the new 3.1-million pixel Retina display, which boasts a 2,048-by-1,536-pixel resolution. They noted that full-HD 1080p videos played back "smooth" on the new device, powered by an A5X chip with a quad-core graphics processor.

In the video, which is narrated in Vietnamese, it is shown that the new iPad is a 16-gigabyte model with 4G LTE cellular connectivity. The design of the box is similar to previous iPad packaging, with the iPad on top and the AC adapter, charging cable and instruction manual hidden underneath.

The video also includes a hands-on with the device itself, showing off the larger camera on the back of the device, as well as a run through the settings on the new iPad.

The same site has been the source of legitimate leaks in the past, obtaining a 13-inch MacBook last May before it was unveiled, as well as an iPhone 4 prototype. They also obtained a test build of iOS that included an Exposé-style interface for multitasking that Apple is believed to have scrapped.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    It says 16GB on the box

But it says 32GB on the iPad's "about" info

********edit

the 32GB was an ipad 2 lol
  • Reply 2 of 22
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    i hope i can fit the new iPad into the iPad gen 1(model 1337!!! leet!) apple case...

(discounting the lack of holes and buttons that may not match the openings)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    They should have at least showcased the retina display. Perhaps going to the web and blowing up the pages to demo the high resolution.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    This is a fake. The iPad is actually 32g WiFi+3G iPad 2. Its registration information has it registered to Tiger Words at a location of 1 Tiger St. in FL. Don't ask me how I'm able to look it up but I can. It was bought March 24, 2011. Nice try guys.

Trust me its a fake!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Fake or not, that was a waste of time. Who cares? What were we supposed to learn from that other than there are fan boys in Vietnam too?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Without a proper demo of the retina display, your statement makes sense if true. If they faked it, what a couple sad sack of <insert your fave expletive here> and attention w*ores.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drumpat01 View Post

This is a fake. The iPad is actually 32g WiFi+3G iPad 2. Its registration information has it registered to Tiger Words at a location of 1 Tiger St. in FL. Don't ask me how I'm able to look it up but I can. It was bought March 24, 2011. Nice try guys.

Trust me its a fake!

• Reply 7 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drumpat01 View Post

Trust me its a fake!

it's not that hard to look up. Go to the Apple Support and run the check support on the serial and it will tell you what it is.

That they didn't show the screen and that mangled back sticker (that doesn't match the serial on the device) are other big clues

Supposedly he was saying something about 'see that's not even close to the product number on this old iPad 2 we also have' when he showed the serial, but we still don't see them removing an iPad from the box etc. So there's no way to prove that they were showing a different iPad when they were showing us the new beautiful sim tray etc
  • Reply 8 of 22
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Why did I waste time watching that? While it is likely the real thing, on video it is indistinguishable from an iPad2.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I'm Vietnamese and having seen the video, I understood most of it but not all due having lived in the US most of my life.

In the video, they kept going back and forth between a 2nd gen and 3rd gen iPad, so it was a little confusing to watch. Nevertheless, the product number (MD369LL/A) seems legit for a 3rd gen iPad after searching on the web. Regardless, the video didn't show much more of anything that we couldn't find for ourselves on the web.

I wouldn't be too surprised that those guys somehow got their hands on the new iPad with Vietnam so freaking close to China. And especially with the corruption going on back there, someone could have paid handsomely under the table to slip one from the delivery truck. I'm guessing that somebody won't be getting their new iPad on March 16th and should be getting an e-mail with a new delivery date due to some "technical difficulty". Hope that's not me.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Can I still consider this one iPad part of the launch day numbers?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Can I still consider this one iPad part of the launch day numbers?

Since it's an iPad 2 and not an iPad 3, no.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Since it's an iPad 2 and not an iPad 3, no.

Whew! I was worried my estimate would be off by one.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    If you look at the Cellular Data page it says Enable LTE, so it looks legit.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Amazing that someone opening a box has become an event... truly sad.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

Didn't occur to me until I read this. We're filled with expectations like watching a magic show...except there's no magic. I'm just as guilty.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

Unboxings have always been events for Apple products.

The difference here is this is a fake.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    This video looks pretty real to me, when he showed the size of the camera hole I was convinced. I wish he would have walked us threw the iPhoto software or even the new Garage Band. I am so excited about he new Garage Band, I use that plus all of of Korgs stuff, Looptastic and iSequence so much that I would I pay twice as much for an iPad if I it meant I couldn't use them anymore.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    We may have received a delivery of them to our store here in Australia, I might be able to get my hands on one right now.

...but I wouldn't tell you if I could, suffice to say they will be available here on the 16th, while all you Americans are still sleeping on the 15th.

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    osminosmin Posts: 10member
    It's like a bunch of children trying to peek at their christmas presents two days early. We will be able to see it in a couple of days.

Of course that doesn't mean I haven't checked to see if mine has budged from Louisville KY 250 times already.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Fake. System info shows model MC774LL with serial DLXFFP53DFJ2

Serial number: DLXFFP53DFJ2

Name: iPad 2

Group1: iPad

Group2: WiFi-GSM

Generation: 2

ModelCode:

Machine Model: iPad2,2

Model introduced: 2011

Production year: 2011

Production week: 12 (March)