Cook sold 11.1 M$ worth of Apple stock

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Why did Cook sell that much? Does he need the money or is it something else? I wonder.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...e-stock-today/

(P.S. Not sure where to actually post this thread.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Selling a few million in stock means nothing. Maybe he had to pay for a wedding or he wanted a vacation. The only thing that matters with insider type actions are buying. Selling can be for any reason. Buying only means that executive things the stock will rise. Otherwise why buy? Selling can be for many reasons
  • Reply 2 of 10
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robertw477 View Post

Selling a few million in stock means nothing. Maybe he had to pay for a wedding or he wanted a vacation. The only thing that matters with insider type actions are buying. Selling can be for any reason. Buying only means that executive things the stock will rise. Otherwise why buy? Selling can be for many reasons

Normal. These guys sell Stock all the time.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I'm thinking that it was in 2010 when Cook was granted 75,000 shares. I don't know if it was restricted stock, and if so, when it vests. But as part of his 2011 pay package, he was granted 1 million shares, of which, half vests in 2016 and the balance in 2021. But even with this sale of 20,000 shares, he still has almost 14,000 shares left.

So he's either already sold a big chunk of the 75K that he was granted in 2010, and now he's down to about 14k, or it hasn't vested yet and he decided to sell a chunk of what he had on the books now (for whatever reason), knowing that he's going to be one of the top individual holders of AAPL soon enough anyway.

As for reasons, it could be anything: taxes, wants to (slightly) diversify his portfolio, wants to buy a nice Gulfstream, going to hire Kim Kardashian to dress up in a gorilla suit for his next birthday party... could be anything.

But unlike some of the foolish, uninformed comments by some of the people on the linked site, there's nothing to be concerned about.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    elmodogelmodog Posts: 15member
    I sold out at $600. Not quite $11 million
  • Reply 5 of 10

a new house and a porsche?

It's petty cash for him I expect he has a wife that may want to move up in the world.

• Reply 6 of 10
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElmoDog View Post

It's petty cash for him I expect he has a wife that may want to move up in the world.

I doubt that Tim Cook has a wife, he's gay.

• Reply 7 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I doubt that Tim Cook has a wife, he's gay.

Kim Kardashian to dressing up in a gorilla suit makes him gay?

• Reply 8 of 10

Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

Kim Kardashian to dressing up in a gorilla suit makes him gay?

"… I like to iat, iat, iat, iapples and banaiais…"

Sorry, got sidetracked there. Primates and computers. 

• Reply 9 of 10

Why not?  Apple's stock is close to an all time high, it's a good time to sell.  Doesn't necessarily mean anything more.  Expect alot of traders to sell stock, the market's up, AAPL's up, it's a good time to sell.  The market is about due for a correction, AAPL's already gone down slightly, odds are AAPL will drop 10-15%, then correct back up. 

• Reply 10 of 10

Yeah it normal to sell some of your AAPl stock.

Thinking about it, I plan to cash out soon too.

All 5 shares.image