Rumor: Apple to launch 15-inch MacBook Air in April, 'effectively killing the Pro'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 184
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

Because of their push for Thunderbolt so heavily. Including USB 3.0 at the same time would do nothing but diminish any reason to go to Thunderbolt. At least in the case of having USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt you have enough differentiation. USB 3 and Thunderbolt, not as much. Sure, theoretical peak is only half of thunderbolt, but that's substantially less difference than than the 20 times slower USB 2.0. And honestly you are probably not going to ever saturate USB 3.0 completely very often anyway.

They had something new so they marketed it to encourage people to buy a new machine. It's pretty typical. I still find it irritating how it uses the same port as an external display.
  • Reply 42 of 184
    Actually just from DVDs alone that would be billions of discs.
  • Reply 43 of 184
    I have a 15" MBP and an 11" Mac Air. The Air is great for traveling when I need more than an iPad. A 15" Air would be great. But as for a replacement:

1. HDD would probably be a SSD in the Air and capacities are still pretty low. External drives are not a real option if this s to be one's main computer - even with the Cloud.

2. Gigabit ethernet is a must. The Thunderbolt or USB options are poor options if you connect regularly via this method. Not an option if you usually connect wirelessly.

3. Optical drives are definitely on their way out. Apple makes an excellent external USB optical drive. But there is still plenty of optical disks out there, particularly for business applications, and having the built-in drive is a big plus for the users that need it. While optical drives are on their way out, they're not dead just yet.

For me personally, I can do without the optical drive and the gigabit ethernet, but I can't do with a small HDD. Of course, until Apple actually makes the announcement and published the specs, all this is just hot air.
  • Reply 44 of 184
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pulcinella View Post

I want a Macbook Pro with a Retina Display!

If the 15" Air replaces the Pro there will obviously be a lot of unhappy campers.... but sales will go through the roof.

Hopefully Apple will make moves to fulfill the promise of Thunderbolt in this regard. Most of the issues people have can potentially be solved, and even improved through the use of Thunderbolt.

The Optical is surely a non issue - just get the external one.

Storage is a real issue imo. Hopefully Apple will offer a dual SSD / HD option.
  • Reply 45 of 184
    Quote:

Which is going to give substantially less throughput than a real gigabit ethernet port.

It would probably be a thunderbolt/ethernet port adaptor, which would be fine.

I would like them to try and squeeze a proper ethernot port in, but more than that I would like to see the pros go the same way as the airs, so if it is dropped I can see why.
  • Reply 46 of 184
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We've had the 13" MB, MBA. and MBP all at the same time but we're suppose to believe that by introducing a 15" MBA that the 15" MBP would be killed off? That's an excessive leap.

As I understand it, the Air pretty much killed-off the 13" Pro in terms of units.

If a thin 15" is well executed, with pro-performance, SSD and perhaps a sub-miniature ethernet port, then yes. The "vanilla" 15" machine will be end-of-line.

And while there will be a handful of users who will bemoan the passing of the built-in optical drive. I think they'll have to shift to external drives. The optical drive is heading the way of the floppy and the parallel printer port. When it comes to the radical-v-conservative axis, Apple have always preferred to be nearer the radical end.

C.
  • Reply 47 of 184
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'm not. My line of work requires transfer of information between various departments, auditors and 3rd party vendors. We have email caps, so we can't go that way. We don't give out USB drives either. We tried FTP, but some vendors are clueless.

External optical drive. You're happy. They're happy. We're happy.
  • Reply 48 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Really?

I am over optical media. When I last cleared out my office, I threw out the blank DVDs.

C.

Agreed. Optical media is on its last legs. I would be very suprised it the new pros still had their drives this time around ...
  • Reply 49 of 184
    Retina 17-inch MBPAir, SSD, no optical drive or Ethernet FTW.

I carried a 17-inch PowerBook a few years back to sixteen cities over a period of a month in Europe, btw. The 17-inchers are not that big to me.
  • Reply 50 of 184
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

I have a 15" MBP and an 11" Mac Air. The Air is great for traveling when I need more than an iPad. A 15" Air would be great. But as for a replacement:

1. HDD would probably be a SSD in the Air and capacities are still pretty low. External drives are not a real option if this s to be one's main computer - even with the Cloud.

2. Gigabit ethernet is a must. The Thunderbolt or USB options are poor options if you connect regularly via this method. Not an option if you usually connect wirelessly.

3. Optical drives are definitely on their way out. Apple makes an excellent external USB optical drive. But there is still plenty of optical disks out there, particularly for business applications, and having the built-in drive is a big plus for the users that need it. While optical drives are on their way out, they're not dead just yet.

For me personally, I can do without the optical drive and the gigabit ethernet, but I can't do with a small HDD. Of course, until Apple actually makes the announcement and published the specs, all this is just hot air.

If they get rid of the optical disk, there would be plenty of room for a small SSD (perhaps 64 GB) and a 500-1000 GB HDD.
  • Reply 51 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjones051073 View Post

It would probably be a thunderbolt/ethernet port adaptor, which would be fine.

Yes, a ridiculously priced one most likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjones051073 View Post

I would like them to try and squeeze a proper ethernot port in, but more than that I would like to see the pros go the same way as the airs, so if it is dropped I can see why.

They could put one on the Airs if they wanted to. They just don't.
  • Reply 52 of 184
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I hope they don't just simply add a 15" MBA.

I'd rather see the MBA and MBP combined into one all new exciting design, preferably in black rather than silver.
  • Reply 53 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Sure, theoretical peak is only half of thunderbolt...

Come on! You know damn well it's 1/4: 2x10 Gb/s = 20Gb/s v. 5 GB/s.

Quote:

Yes, many people still use optical media for vast amounts of things. The fact that Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Ritek, etc. are still pumping out 100s of millions of optical discs every year is a sure sign of this.

I'd like to see some stats. To say the least, Verbatim has their hands in flash and Blu-ray, too.

The question isn't whether Verbatim isn't finding a new way to make money its whether in 2012 it makes sense to include an ODD in the next 4 years of the Mac notebooks? Who are using ODDs on a regular basis and for what? On a 13" MBP it uses 25% of the internal space, has moving parts, is slow, and using a lot of power to work.

You also need to ask: "Why hasn't Apple put a Blu-ray drive in the MBP if this tech is so useful, so requested, and so needed?" It's been 2 years since that was first possible in an ultra-slim slot-laoding ODD so what's the hold off?

I think the only answer you can find is the ODD is going bye bye.

Quote:

They could put one on the Airs if they wanted to. They just don't.

No they couldn't. It's too thin to use an RJ-45.
  • Reply 54 of 184
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

We've had the 13" MB, MBA. and MBP all at the same time but we're suppose to believe that by introducing a 15" MBA that the 15" MBP would be killed off? That's an excessive leap.

Yeah, but the fact that there have been 3 x 13" laptops in the line-up must have irked Apple no end. It would make more sense to have 4 physical models, each separated by capability. You could still have a 15" MBA, and a 15" MBA Pro. Now that the white 13" MB has gone - why have two models? There are three main reasons - Optical Drive, HD and Ports. The first is obvious: loose it. The second will be more problematic in terms of space, so I have no answer, and the third I imagine (hope) will be dealt with through Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 55 of 184
    Quote:

Come on! You know damn well it's 1/4: 2x10 Gb/s = 20Gb/s v. 5 GB/s.

So then why does Apple in the mac book pro specs say:

Quote:

Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)

• Reply 56 of 184
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

PS: I can't believing I'm seeing posters say a Pro needs an ODD. Really?! It's 2012.

The only times I use an optical drive is when I have to send a huge publishing project to Japan or Europe. Many times those archives are 2-3 GB. I can FedEx them there by the time they could download them, if the download even makes it to the end without disconnecting for some reason.

The other thing we use DVDs for is backing up our accounting data and putting it in the fire safe off site. I don't want that stuff on somebody's computer or in the cloud and DVDs are a lot cheaper and more secure than USB memory sticks.
  • Reply 57 of 184
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    How dare Apple cannibalize a currently hot product!
  • Reply 58 of 184
    Quote:

No they couldn't. It's too thin to use an RJ-45.

No, that's baloney. The Air at it's widest has more than enough room to accommodate it. They could stick it on the back where I've seen numerous other laptops put them.
  • Reply 59 of 184
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I don't want thinner, I just want lighter, faster with a better screen.

Both MacBook Air 13" and MacBook Pro 15" support 1440 x 900. So the screen of 15" MacBook Air will not be worse.
  • Reply 60 of 184
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Why is USB 3.0 highly unlikely? It will be natively supported in Ivy Bridge. I'm expecting Ivy Bridge based macs to include it.

Because it competes with Thunderbolt ? Did a google search on it, and a number of sources are saying apple will add usb 3.0.

We'll have to see, but I sure hope they do