New iPad drawing record preorders, Apple projected to sell 66M in 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple's new iPad is off to a record start before it's even been released, setting the stage for the company to sell a projected 66 million total units in 2012.

Analyst Michael Walkley with Canaccord Genuity raised his price target for Apple stock on Wednesday to $710, from $665. He said his own checks with Apple's distribution channels have indicated that the new iPad, just announced a week ago, has already broken the company's preorder records.

New orders from Apple's online store now take up to three weeks to ship in the U.S., which Walkley believes is another sign that the new iPad will achieve record sales when it goes on sale in 10 countries this Friday at 8 a.m. local time.

The analyst also believes that Apple's competitors will continue to struggle to introduce competitive products over the coming quarters. He noted that at this year's Consumer Electronics Show and Mobile World Congress conferences, most Android manufacturers "essentially conceded the high-end tablet market to Apple in the near term."

Accordingly, he expects that Apple will sell 65.6 million iPads in 2012, a projection nearly 10 million units higher than his previous forecast of 55.9 million.

For 2013, Walkley increased his estimate by more than 20 million units. He now sees Apple selling 90.6 million iPads next year, up from his earlier projection of 79.7 million.

Those sales will allow Apple to maintain its dominance in the tablet market, capturing more than 60 percent of sales, he said. As for the financial side, Walkley sees Apple commanding more than 80 percent of the tablet industry's profits this year.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    AAPL @ 580.77
  • Reply 2 of 57
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I'm going to laugh when this analyst, who thinks he's being so smart raising his 'projection' up to 66M for the year, is off by a lot.

I project that Apple can easily clear 100 million units (yeah I pulled that number out of my butt, just like he did).
  • Reply 3 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I'm going to laugh when this analyst, who thinks he's being so smart raising his 'projection' up to 66M for the year, is off by a lot.

I project that Apple can easily clear 100 million units (yeah I pulled that number out of my butt, just like he did).

I'll take your butt over his any day. (Wow, that sounds wrong on so many levels)
  • Reply 4 of 57
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Yeah, I'm predicting that they will sell 1,001!!! So, I'm already brilliant!!!
  • Reply 5 of 57
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Well, with the iPad really making inroads into big shops, military, airlines, etc... Would not be too far-fetched.

I dont think it will be that high, but I think 2012 will be the year the iPad in all areas.

I'm still contemplating replacing my iPad2 but will wait till the dust settles a bit.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Boohoo! I am hardly impressed by this news. I am so damn happy with my Android tablet. I just don't get how anybody would choose an iPad over that! Are people really that dumb?! My Android tablet has a 1.1 Ghz dual core processor. That's .1 better than the new iPad, so my Android tablet is better, because 1.1 is better than 1.0. I learned that in my special ed math class and I double checked the calculation using a calculator. And that high rez screen on the iPad? Please. \ That's just a gimmick. Nobody will be able to tell the difference, unless they have superman vision.

And iOS? iOS is for children! Android has ice cream sandwich, and that's definitely not for children. My tablet doesn't actually have ice cream sandwich yet, but I've been promised that it will arrive for my tablet sometime in the middle of 2013. Jeez, Apple fans are such sheep.

And the best part is that my Android tablet only cost me $189.99 and I haven't spent a penny on a single app so far! The Android eco-system is just amazing and I predict a bright future for it. $500 is just too much to spend on a tablet, especially for a welfare recipient such as myself. Do I look like the kind of person who is going to pay $500 for a fruit logo?

I could talk all day about how my Android tablet blows away the new iPad, but I have to go out and collect some bottles now. Cya!
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Boohoo! I am hardly impressed by this news. I am so damn happy with my Android tablet. I just don't get how anybody would choose an iPad over that! Are people really that dumb?! My Android tablet has a 1.1 Ghz dual core processor. That's .1 better than the new iPad, so my Android tablet is better, because 1.1 is better than 1.0. I learned that in my special ed math class and I double checked the calculation using a calculator. And that high rez screen on the iPad? Please. \ That's just a gimmick. Nobody will be able to tell the difference, unless they have superman vision.

And iOS? iOS is for children! Android has ice cream sandwich, and that's definitely not for children. My tablet doesn't actually have ice cream sandwich yet, but I've been promised that it will arrive for my tablet sometime in the middle of 2013. Jeez, Apple fans are such sheep.

And the best part is that my Android tablet only cost me $189.99 and I haven't spent a penny on a single app so far! The Android eco-system is just amazing and I predict a bright future for it. $500 is just too much to spend on a tablet, especially for a welfare recipient such as myself. Do I look like the kind of person who is going to pay $500 for a fruit logo?

I could talk all day about how my Android tablet blows away the new iPad, but I have to go out and collect some bottles now. Cya!

Not to mention the Tegra 3 has 12 cores to produce super massive graphics on the non-existent games that use them! The new iPad only has 4 cores so..... 12 > 4, I'm good at the maths! Ignore those benchmarks that say otherwise though. This is obviously JUST like the smartphone market.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    That certainly is a different tack. Doesn't your Android come with a metal detector?
  • Reply 9 of 57
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    "But Siri can't understand a question about the weather," said Taladonga Breckenridge, a Samsung representative, when asked about the pre-order frenzy surrounding the new iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    I preordered last Thursday and it's due to be delivered Friday. This is my first ipad and I'm psyched! I got the 64 GB with 4g. (Tim Allen grunt....)
  • Reply 11 of 57
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    Quote:

Hey, didn't I see you post on Engaget? Your android is also beter because it docks into a mouse, full size keyboard, and rolling desk chair with buttons on the arm rests like Captain Kirk!
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'll take your butt over his any day. (Wow, that sounds wrong on so many levels)

Like the guy who retired from the Navy... He was sad to leave his shipmate's behind
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

AAPL @ 580.77

Yeah... It really would be nice for Apple to announce a 10:1 stock split -- to make AAPL shares more accessible to the small investor.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah... It really would be nice for Apple to announce a 10:1 stock split -- to make AAPL shares more accessible to the small investor.

Sorry, Dick, I just don't get that. You can buy one share if that's all you can afford. The return is the same regardless of order size.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    At this sales level, the installed base will generate enormous recurrent revenues, through the selling of immaterial content (applications, music, books, videos, magazines, newspapers ...), which will boost the whole ecosystem.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

Hey, didn't I see you post on Engaget? Your android is also beter because it docks into a mouse, full size keyboard, and rolling desk chair with buttons on the arm rests like Captain Kirk!

And, it's streamlined with NO volume button! That's right...even Apple didn't think of that one! And it monitors all my Web browsing to ensure it can fully data mine all my habits and personal info. It is truly amazing! All on top of the $199 price! Two for one soon! Peace!!
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sorry, Dick, I just don't get that. You can buy one share if that's all you can afford. The return is the same regardless of order size.

I own a single share of Apple and would have bought more but couldn't afford to at the time. Now I definitely can't afford to buy more...
  • Reply 18 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

You secretly love Android, don't you? Why else would you constantly bring it up? You didn't even comment on the article that was 100% Apple never mentioning Android. Whenever someone says "I hate this/that" constantly they're no longer trying to convince those listening but themselves.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You don't have $580?
  • Reply 20 of 57
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those sales will allow Apple to maintain its dominance in the tablet market, capturing more than 60 percent of sales, he said. As for the financial side, Walkley sees Apple commanding more than 80 percent of the tablet industry's profits this year.

He obviously meant shipments because only Apple reports sales to end users.