Apple announces new iPad will go on sale at 8 a.m. local time on Friday

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

When the new iPad goes on sale in the U.S. and nine other countries this Friday, it will become available at 8 a.m. local time, Apple announced on Wednesday.

The third-generation iPad will be available at Apple's retail stores and the company's online store this Friday at 8 a.m. in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and the U.K. It will also be available in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

In addition to Apple's retail stores, the new iPad will also be available in the U.S. at Best Buy, Radio Shack, Sam's Club, Target and Walmart on Friday's launch day. 4G LTE versions will also be available at AT&T and Verizon retail stores in the U.S.

Officially announced a week ago, the new iPad has a high-resolution Retina display powered by the new A5X chip that features quad-core graphics processing. The third-generation tablet also sports a 5-megapixel iSight camera with advanced optics capable of recording 1080p video.

The new iPad also offers a 4G LTE model capable of connecting to high-speed data networks in the U.S. and Canada, as well as 3G networks around the world based on HSPA+ and DC-HSPDA.

The first iPad customer in line at Apple's Fifth Ave store. Photo by AppleInsider reader Ryan.

In addition to the new iPad, Apple has also continued to sell last year's iPad 2 in a capacity of 16GB, starting at $399 for the Wi-Fi-only model. A 3G-capable version is also available for $529.

New iPads purchased at an Apple retail store come with free "Personal Setup" service, which helps customers customize their iPad by setting up e-mail, installing software from the App Store and more. Apple also offers its "Personal Pickup" service at U.S. retail stores, allowing customers to shop and buy from anywhere, then pick up their purchase at any retail store.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I'm so happy that Apple offered preorders this year, I didn't relish standing in line again.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Does this mean they will not be for sale at AT&T or Verizon stores? Is this a change from The previous release?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Does this mean they will not be for sale at AT&T or Verizon stores? Is this a change from The previous release?

No, it doesn't mean that. They just didn't include the full line from the article they took that from:

Quote:

In addition to Apple Stores, the new iPad will also be available at Best Buy, Radio Shack, Sam's Club, Target, and Walmart, as well as via wireless carriers AT&T and Verizon. Those retailers will likely have a limited number of new iPads, so it's best to check with your local store before heading over.

From here.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    London: via Daily Mail

and oh dear:

• Reply 5 of 26
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I will have to stop by and see all the action and sell my old iPad 2.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Does this mean they will not be for sale at AT&T or Verizon stores?

No. This article is about Apple saying when the iPad will start selling/can be picked up at their stores. ATT and Verizon get to pick their own times and announce them directly.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No. This article is about Apple saying when the iPad will start selling/can be picked up at their stores. ATT and Verizon get to pick their own times and announce them directly.

No, this is an article repeating basically a lot of what the PC Mag article I linked says. The line being talked about was mostly copied straight from that article, too, though without the part mentioning AT&T and Verizon stores.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Screw that waiting in line crap. I did that last year, and turned up empty handed.

I'll be getting my iPad tomorrow.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I've never, ever lined up for an Apple product before (or any product), but am actually debating doing it for this one. I don't want to wait another couple weeks for it. Althought my lineup tolerance would be like 1 hr at the maximum.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post

London: via Daily Mail

and oh dear:

What the fuck? They probably could at cut down 3 days and still be 1st in line. What kind of life does someone have that they would CHOOSE to spend 5 camping outside a store on the pavement? Jesus.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    tnttnt Posts: 21member
    I have never camp for any product, but I have get lucky a couple of times by being an early bird accidentally I still haven't decided whether to do it this time or not, I am very curious to know how is like if there are more than twenty an less than fifty I will do it
  • Reply 12 of 26
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Applebot zombies. It is quite sad.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    They look like homeless but with gadgets

Homeless 2012 version
  • Reply 14 of 26
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    i will be sitting in line thursday night at my local best buy to grab me one of these. Got my lawn chair and Nintendo DS ready
  • Reply 15 of 26
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

READ the article. 4G LTE versions will also be available at AT&T and Verizon retail stores in the U.S.

• Reply 16 of 26
    Of course anybody could buy 2 iPads and have them delivered to their home or office on Friday and save the hassle of standing in line.

And, of course, many people standing in line already bought their two iPads for delivery and are looking to buy more so they can sell them at a profit to those who don't wish to stand in line or wait for the back orders to fill.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I've never, ever lined up for an Apple product before (or any product), but am actually debating doing it for this one. I don't want to wait another couple weeks for it. Althought my lineup tolerance would be like 1 hr at the maximum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tnt View Post

I have never camp for any product, but I have get lucky a couple of times by being an early bird accidentally I still haven't decided whether to do it this time or not, I am very curious to know how is like if there are more than twenty an less than fifty I will do it

Stopped by my local Apple Store today. Confirmed they were opening at 8 am. Preordered mine for in store pickup. Said they would have a separate line for the in store pickup preorders, but that this line could be long, too, as they have had more pre-orders than they have for any prior preorder.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    I pre-ordered mine as soon as the site stopped crashing from orders last Wed. Since Friday when I got my email, the tracking has just said Nashville. I got one of the first orders and apparently mine was already in the country. Sadly it is a few hours down the road from me in Nashville, TN until probably tomorrow when it will drive up here, then get delivered Friday. So frustrating knowing how close it is.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Thanks to the International dateline, Australia will have them first.

The suburban phone store I work at may have already received stock.

It looks like there will be lots of them available.

I still don't know if the 4G will be compatible or which version we will get, as the carriers have not really started rolling out networks yet.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    cityguidecityguide Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ®®®®® View Post

They look like homeless but with gadgets

Homeless 2012 version

In other words, like they "live" in Austin, TX.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...a091336D59.DTL