First 1080p Apple TV orders begin shipping, may see early delivery

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Some customers began receiving word on Wednesday that their new Apple TV set-top box has shipped, with delivery even scheduled for a day early.

One AppleInsider reader sent a copy of their shipment notification for a new Apple TV they ordered last Wednesday, after it was officially announced. The living room media player sells for $99.

Apple's e-mail states that the package will deliver on March 16, but FedEx's own tracking information shows the item is scheduled to be delivered in the U.S. a day early, on Thursday. The new Apple TV will officially go on sale this Friday, the same day as the new iPad.

The new Apple TV, announced last week, outputs high-definition 1080p video, thanks to a new custom single-core A5 processor found in the device. To support this functionality, 1080p content is available on iTunes, and the Netflix Instant Watch application has also been updated.

In addition to Netflix, 1080p content available on the new Apple TV includes iTunes movies and TV shows, Vimeo, and photos. Apple has also updated its iTunes in the Cloud functionality, allowing customers to play movies and TV shows bought on the iTunes Store instantly on their Apple TV.

While the tracking info suggests that some Apple TVs may arrive a day early, customers who ordered Apple's third-generation iPad are probably less likely to receive their delivery early. Though shipments for the earliest third-generation iPad orders went out last week, the packages remain in holding ahead of Friday's official launch.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Just received my FedEx notice:

Ship date Mar 14, 2012

Estimated delivery Mar 15, 2012 by 3:00 PM
  • Reply 2 of 34
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drice4444 View Post

Ship date Mar 14, 2012

Dittos here.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Where do you two live?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    My thenewipad has been stuck in Anchorage for 4 days now \
  • Reply 5 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

My thenewipad has been stuck in Anchorage for 4 days now \

Mine has been stuck in the city next door for 5 days now.

PS: I think you can just call it iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    I received an automated call from Fedex today telling me of a delivery tomorrow requiring signature. Checking the tracking info for my orders shows my AppleTV will arrive on the 15th (tomorrow), but the iPad is still scheduled for the 16th.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    I ordered one at the same time as my new iPad as soon as the UK online store came back up after the announcement and my order still shows "Processing Items, Dispatched 16-19th March" so it doesn't look like I'm getting mine on release day
  • Reply 8 of 34
    rjbrucerjbruce Posts: 45member
    Don't care...ship my iPad already...sitting in Nashville for almost nearly a week where it brings joy to NO ONE!
  • Reply 9 of 34
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Mine has been stuck in the city next door for 5 days now.

PS: I think you can just call it iPad.

Your sarcasm detector is faulty
  • Reply 10 of 34
    ezorroezorro Posts: 11member
    Can someone tell me what the new AppleTV does that my year old AppleTV doesn't do, other than deliver 1080? And since I only use my AppleTV to watch Netflix, which does not do HD, would it then be pointless to buy the new one?

and btw, my new iPad has made it to the Louisville hub and is scheduled to be here Friday.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjbruce View Post

Don't care...ship my iPad already...sitting in Nashville for almost nearly a week where it brings joy to NO ONE!

Mine Has been In Carson Ca for days
  • Reply 12 of 34
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eZorro View Post

Can someone tell me what the new AppleTV does that my year old AppleTV doesn't do, other than deliver 1080? And since I only use my AppleTV to watch Netflix, which does not do HD, would it then be pointless to buy the new one?

Maybe it's your settings, but I watch HD Netflix (well, 720p) through my 2nd AppleTV all the time. In fact, I was more excited by the updated AppleTV than the new iPad last week. The 1080p AppleTV will fit nicely with my living room HDTV, and I can put the 720p ATV on the little tv in my hobby room.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eZorro View Post

and btw, my new iPad has made it to the Louisville hub and is scheduled to be here Friday.

1) 1080p is pretty much it but in the HW the Apple ASIC is better in order for the 4.0 Profile which could mean the quad-core GPU and 1GB RAM instead of 256(?) MB.

2) Netflix does offer 1080p.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drice4444 View Post

Ship date Mar 14, 2012

same here
  • Reply 15 of 34
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ravijain View Post

same here

+1. says will be here tomorrow.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    this also happened though, with my iPad 2 last year.

said it would come a day early, but still came on release day Saturday.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post

Where do you two live?

Texas and I work from home. Anyone have examples of 1080p content I can redownload? I tried a few Disney items.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Just got notice that my Apple TV will be delivered tomorrow!! Woohoo! Can't wait to see what it can do!
  • Reply 19 of 34
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    The Apple TVs will come on Friday. Apple's standard practice is to give no one an advantage. There is a hold on the delivery at the last distribution point, and the computer didn't take that into account when it issued the notice.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Anyone have examples of 1080p content I can redownload?

I apologize if you already know this:
    • In iTunes, press Command+comma for Preferences

• Click on the green shopping bag icon for Store Preferences

• Choose 1080p from the drop down list next to "When downloading High Definition videos"

From then on, your HD downloads will be in 1080p wherever possible. You can then delete a video from iTunes and redownload it from iCloud to get 1080p.