President Obama invites Apple design chief Jonathan Ive to state dinner

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yes, the timing is 'suspicious', as Obama obviously coordinated a state dinner honouring the British PM who flew to the US, as well as many other guests- with the iPad launch, and also invited Jonathan Ive along all for a cunningly elaborate plan to snag a $499 device as a 'freebie'. I sometimes wonder if you're actually so deluded to believe the insane things you say, or if it's just a knowing troll. I really want to know if you truly believe the President of the United States timed a State Dinner so that he MIGHT be able to get a free iPad. If you see this as a possibility, you have more than a few screws loose. I guess people who hate someone can convince themselves of anything.

@slurpy: You definitely have a problem with perception today.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I guess people who hate someone can convince themselves of anything.

This is, indeed, true of Apple][.

Unfortunate. I've stopped responding to his posts a while ago.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

@slurpy: You definitely have a problem with perception today.

What 'perception' problem is that? Care to explain?
  • Reply 24 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quite an honor for a Brit in his position, I'd say. How many industrial designers have gotten invites to White House dinners?
  • Reply 25 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What 'perception' problem is that? Care to explain?

Both you and Slurpy have been had. It is the Obama lovers who have a perception problem and a problem with reality.

While it's true that I do not think highly of Obama, and I believe that he's one of the worst Presidents ever, I do believe that he does not need a free iPad and I'm pretty sure that he can afford to buy one himself if he so desired. To sum it up, no, I do not believe that a state dinner has been arranged solely for the goal of getting a free iPad.

Some people get so upset and are so brainwashed by their messiah, that they simply can't tolerate anybody making a joke about "the one".
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Both you and Slurpy have been had. It is the Obama lovers who have a perception problem and a problem with reality.

While it's true that I do not think highly of Obama, and I believe that he's one of the worst Presidents ever, I do believe that he does not need a free iPad and I'm pretty sure that he can afford to buy one himself if he so desired. To sum it up, no, I do not believe that a state dinner has been arranged solely for the goal of getting a free iPad.

Some people get so upset and are so brainwashed by their messiah, that they simply can't tolerate anybody making a joke about "the one".

You're very cute, sometimes. But overly judgmental, and on matters non-Android, often wrong.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quite an honor for a Brit in his position, I'd say. How many industrial designers have gotten invites to White House dinners?

That is the larger point.

+1
  • Reply 28 of 53
    swissmac2swissmac2 Posts: 216member
    Don't you just love those British honours and awards? Such archaic language, but many of them were only created in the last 150 years or so. The really old titles are the Dukes (from the French for leader, "Duc") and the older Earls (from the Anglo Saxon "Jarl" which also means leader). The Dukes replaced the Earls after the Normans invaded and displaced the Saxons who had invaded after the Romans had invaded. Nobody knows what the Ancient Britons called their leaders. Possibly the same verbs we use for them today... only in their language! haha!

As for Jonny Ive's presence, I believe it's customary to invite such guests when foreign dignitaries visit. Anyhow, Sam Cameron uses an iMac so was probably interested in having a chat with him if nobody else.

Not sure if you saw the pics of Cameron and Obama at the Basketball game, but Cameron was *really* tucking into his hot dog... I guess that explains why he looks so chubby! lol!
  • Reply 29 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 30 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think I have myself a new picture in the series of Apple Executive Reaction Photos?
  • Reply 31 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The British are coming, the British are coming!

We're already here
  • Reply 32 of 53
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    guess who's coming to dinner?

jon ives 9 1/2 +

apple computer 9 1/2 +

obama 1/2 +
  • Reply 33 of 53
    I am surprised that his spouse/partner wasn't invited (or chose not to be in attendance).
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am surprised that his spouse/partner wasn't invited (or chose not to be in attendance).

Perhaps his wife doesn't want to be in the spotlight. \
  • Reply 35 of 53
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    They should have also invited Austin Powers.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    fabofabo Posts: 1member
    Reagan invite = Win...Obama invite = Meh
  • Reply 37 of 53
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

ain't that the truth. good thing you didn't assert how badly the big-eared apologist is going to have his skinny a-- handed to him in November. Then it might have gotten ugly.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    In my lifetime, I have watched 12 presidents as closely as I could bear to do. One had a lot of class, Kennedy, so that wasn't so bad, while it lasted. Some, actually most of them, were painfully out of touch. They'd be tripping over words like "the Internets" or "the Google."

This one we have now is the first one who is in touch with what's going on enough to be able to talk to an ace like Sir Jony without embarassing himself. Ive and The Prez will have a good time, I think.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fabo View Post

Reagan invite = Win...Obama invite = Meh

Not according to Richard Pryor. He was invited to the White House when Superman III released and he said that Regan looked at him like he (Pryor) owed him some money!

"He looked like a d**k. Not even a h**d-on!"
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Nothing personal but man Obama can't tell a joke to save his life. He was trying so hard to be funny in his toast it was painful to watch. Nobody laughed. Cameron was much more at ease and actually got some laughs.