Siri gains improved weather and time functions in Canada

124»

Comments

  • apfeltoshapfeltosh Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


    Yup and you accomplished a whole lot in those previous two years. We finished it in two years. But like the hard to open jar, I suppose you losened it for us. Or at least that is how you would defend your "success" at Dieppe. And as far as Normandy goes. Yup you certainly threw yourselves onto the "tough beaches" there.



    Here is some math for you. What is 17? The number of years it's been since a Canadian team won the Stanely Cup.



    If you watched the very nice YouTube link posted regarding Canada you might not want to laugh too much as we are your biggest trade partner.



    You obviously know nothing about history. Canadian troops were sent into Dieppe when commanded by the British and it was a suicide mission but it allowed the allies to learn how to better prepare for the Normandy invasion which the British, Australian, and Canadian troops, but not the Americans, who were bogged down on Omaha beach. Omaha beach was tough because the troops were ill-prepared and landed at high tide putting them in the sights of machine gunners for hundreds of meters, which made it a "tough beach" for you.



    As well, the Russians crushed the best armed and most experienced German troops in the east while the older and inexperienced troops fought in the east, against you. And by the way America entered the war in 1941 and it ended in 1945 so it took 4 years, not 2, but thanks for showing your keen math skills.



    Read a book, and not a comic book. Every time you write you just look dumber and dumber.



    As for winning the Stanley Cup, count how many Americans are actually on the American teams that won the cup. Give up, already? Less then 10% per team. More the 75% are Canadians playing for you. The most successful hockey team ever? A Canadian team called the Canadiens.



    Of course you are our biggest trading partner since we have what you need and vice versa. You were the moron that insulted your most reliable and trusted partner, economically and militarily, but your uninformed views simply reinfore the uneducated American stereotype. Well done, again.
  • dualiedualie Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I don't know anyone outside of Newfoundland who actually says "a-boot" instead of "about."



    I'm not sure why Americans believe Canadians all say that but it's about the same as assuming everyone in the US says "axe" instead of "ask."



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


    No, it is what you say. There are several accents in the states, from the East to the South, Midwest and so forth. We never deny having any of them so why is it that Canadians always have to deny that Many of them pronounce "about" as "a-boot". Are Canadians that friggin insecure?



    I'll give you that it may be regional, but considering that 90% of you live along the border, you are just gonna have to trust us when we state that you pronounce "about" as "a-boot" alot.





    Nobody is denying anything, except you of course are denying that some people hear things differently. This is a linguistic fact. You need to read up on that before you opine, because your generalizations are inaccurate and based on false assumptions.
  • dualiedualie Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post


    You obviously know nothing about history. Canadian troops were sent into Dieppe when commanded by the British and it was a suicide mission but it allowed the allies to learn how to better prepare for the Normandy invasion which the British, Australian, and Canadian troops, but not the Americans, who were bogged down on Omaha beach. Omaha beach was tough because the troops were ill-prepared and landed at high tide putting them in the sights of machine gunners for hundreds of meters, which made it a "tough beach" for you.



    As well, the Russians crushed the best armed and most experienced German troops in the east while the older and inexperienced troops fought in the east, against you. And by the way America entered the war in 1941 and it ended in 1945 so it took 4 years, not 2, but thanks for showing your keen math skills.



    Read a book, and not a comic book. Every time you write you just look dumber and dumber.



    As for winning the Stanley Cup, count how many Americans are actually on the American teams that won the cup. Give up, already? Less then 10% per team. More the 75% are Canadians playing for you. The most successful hockey team ever? A Canadian team called the Canadiens.



    Of course you are our biggest trading partner since we have what you need and vice versa. You were the moron that insulted your most reliable and trusted partner, economically and militarily, but your uninformed views simply reinfore the uneducated American stereotype. Well done, again.





    This is mostly true. Everywhere, except here in the U.S. where people sucked up the propaganda like it was Cool Aid (and still do), people understand that if not for the Russians, and the Germans fighting a war on two fronts, the war in Europe could have ended very differently. The Americans, who had been supplying the Allies since 1939, most definitely did NOT win the war in Europe. It was the Russians, the British, the Canadians (who basically ruled the North Atlantic by the end of the war, finishing with the third largest navy in the world), the Australians, the Polish, the Free French, and the Americans who won the war in Europe. It was a true team effort.



    The war in the South Pacific was another story entirely. The United States basically won that war all by itself and the rest of the world should never forget that. In fact, after V.E. day the Americans requested Canada send ships to help with war against Japan and Canada, embarrassingly, refused.
  • pondosinatrapondosinatra Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post


    You obviously know nothing about history. Canadian troops were sent into Dieppe when commanded by the British and it was a suicide mission but it allowed the allies to learn how to better prepare for the Normandy invasion which the British, Australian, and Canadian troops, but not the Americans, who were bogged down on Omaha beach. Omaha beach was tough because the troops were ill-prepared and landed at high tide putting them in the sights of machine gunners for hundreds of meters, which made it a "tough beach" for you.



    As well, the Russians crushed the best armed and most experienced German troops in the east while the older and inexperienced troops fought in the east, against you. And by the way America entered the war in 1941 and it ended in 1945 so it took 4 years, not 2, but thanks for showing your keen math skills.



    Read a book, and not a comic book. Every time you write you just look dumber and dumber.



    As for winning the Stanley Cup, count how many Americans are actually on the American teams that won the cup. Give up, already? Less then 10% per team. More the 75% are Canadians playing for you. The most successful hockey team ever? A Canadian team called the Canadiens.



    Of course you are our biggest trading partner since we have what you need and vice versa. You were the moron that insulted your most reliable and trusted partner, economically and militarily, but your uninformed views simply reinfore the uneducated American stereotype. Well done, again.



    Might as well save it. You just can't argue with stupid.
  • dualiedualie Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


    Oh quit your crying. Canada is the little brother we never had. And as such you will always be picked on by us, but deep down, we don't mean it and actually, we really like you as neighbors. But make no mistake, in a fight, we would kick your ass.





    Similar things were said exactly 200 years ago. What was the result? A ridiculous stalemate for a war that never should have happened but for the War Hawks in congress. In fact the only losers in that war were the native Americans when the slaughter continued in earnest.



    Besides, only a complete fool would dare ruin the massive trading relationship that now exists between the two countries. That is how countries get rich now, through trade, not conquering foreign lands - a fact proven recently by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan which have resulted in massive U.S. debt.
  • bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 257member
    My apologies, Canada is perfect.



    Americans are just arrogant and war mongers. And we had no sizable contribution in the European Theater.



    And Canada, take every joke, and everything said and done as a slight. Your weather doesn't appear on our weather maps because we think less of you.



    America is sorry we are a bad neighbor.



    We probably did over react to our Harbor being attacked. And perhaps we just a teeny weeny bit over reacted to a couple of Airliners getting flown into a couple buildings.



    We really should just laugh at ourselves a bit more and not take things so seriously.



    We never should have blown our economy on an arms race in the 80's. I mean really, American History is just a tragic case of "if You Give A Mouse A Cookie"



    Canada, you take over.
  • dualiedualie Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post




    And wouldn't those same less experienced German Troops in less fortified positions be up a few miles on the Beach that you faced as well?



    This is true. All the invading Allies faced similar forces comprised of many elderly and conscripts. Except for when the Canadians faced The 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend in the battle for Caen.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post




    Tell us all this. Would WWII have ended in Allied victory WITHOUT U.S. involvement? Or were you doing just fine without us?



    The reverse to that questions (for which we'll never know the answer) is could the U.S. have defeated Germany alone? I doubt that either is true.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


    Let's see, Africa, The Pacific Theater, and Europe. Thanks for clearing out Juno. We probably couldn't have made it to Berlin as easily without your help.



    I'm sure the Canadians would say you're welcome for the Battle of the Atlantic, the Battle of Britain, Italy, the lowlands, Normandy, and punching WAY above its weight in industrial war production and training, and military intelligence, given that the head of military intelligence for the Allies, A.K.A. Intrepid, was a Canadian. Seriously friend, you need to study your war history.
  • bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post


    Nobody is denying anything, except you of course are denying that some people hear things differently. This is a linguistic fact. You need to read up on that before you opine, because your generalizations are inaccurate and based on false assumptions.



    No your not denying your just saying that I must not be hearing "a boot".



    I work with the public. One day a lady needs something and she is talking, finally I interrupt, because, hey, I'm American after all. And I say, "You're Canadian aren't you." She blushes And says "Yes I am. I've been in the States 15 years how did you know?" she asks. "It was the way you pronounced O" I said. She didn't argue about it, because how could she? She had state drivers license, there was no observable evidence of her nationality. Just her saying three sentences was what tipped her off. The pronunciation of one single letter. But, hey you're right, I simply hear things differently.



    Whether I hear something different than you doesn't mean that what I hear doesn't allow me to identify distinguishing characteristics that I can identify. I'm pretty sure you can tell an American by his dialect or accent off the bat.



    And for Americans the one distinguishing trait our ears pick up from Canadians is the pronunciation of O. To us you sound like a much toned down version of the famous Fargo accent.
  • bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post


    This is true. All the invading Allies faced similar forces comprised of many elderly and conscripts. Except for when the Canadians faced The 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend in the battle for Caen.



    Really? The 12th Panzer division was elite? This battle was its first action. SS Troops were not necessarily better trained, they were simply kids that were in the Hitler Youth. They were loyal and pretty much as skilled as a Kamakazi.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post


    The reverse to that questions (for which we'll never know the answer) is could the U.S. have defeated Germany alone? I doubt that either is true.



    Based on the two big reasons why the Japanese surrendered, I'd say, yes we stood a better chance of beating Germany without you than you would have without us.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post


    I'm sure the Canadians would say you're welcome for the Battle of the Atlantic, the Battle of Britain, Italy, the lowlands, Normandy, and punching WAY above its weight in industrial war production and training, and military intelligence, given that the head of military intelligence for the Allies, A.K.A. Intrepid, was a Canadian. Seriously friend, you need to study your war history.



    Thanks to American Industrial techniques, sure, you produced more than your weight.



    A few captured enigma machines and an American Computer that deciphered tons of German code in record times helped a little bit too. Of course we were Able to crack the Japanese code which helped turn the tide at Midway. And the Navaho were helpful in providing an unbreakable code for us. But our intelligence sucked.



    But the fact remains, we were more successful on more fronts than any other Allied power period.



    Canada had contributed about 1.1 million men and women losing 50,000 or so. We put in 1.5 million to Europe alone losing 415,000 in total on all fronts.



    Nobody sacrificed more lives than Russia.
  • apfeltoshapfeltosh Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


    My apologies, Canada is perfect.



    Americans are just arrogant and war mongers. And we had no sizable contribution in the European Theater.



    And Canada, take every joke, and everything said and done as a slight. Your weather doesn't appear on our weather maps because we think less of you.



    America is sorry we are a bad neighbor.



    We probably did over react to our Harbor being attacked. And perhaps we just a teeny weeny bit over reacted to a couple of Airliners getting flown into a couple buildings.



    We really should just laugh at ourselves a bit more and not take things so seriously.



    We never should have blown our economy on an arms race in the 80's. I mean really, American History is just a tragic case of "if You Give A Mouse A Cookie"



    Canada, you take over.



    You just don't get it do you? Canada loves their neighbor to the south and is precisely why we have stood by you for the past 200 years. You are the one that said Canada does not matter, which exposed your illiteracy when it comes to world history, including your own.



    As for planes flying into the World Trade Towers, many Canadians died in there as well and we went to war with you in Afghanistan and we are still there fighting and dying.



    America was founded on war, which really was actually created because the founding fathers were business men and knew that they could make far more money if not under the yolk of King George and had nothing to do with freedom on the people (look it up). Since the start, your government has fought the British, French, Spanish, Mexicans, Indians, each other, Cubans, Germans, Italians, Russians, Japanese, Hungarians, Bulgarians, Romanians, Vietnamese, Koreans, El Salvador, Somalians, Yugoslavians, Iraqis, Afghanis, and the list goes on and on. The old ways of invading for profit for economic gain are GONE and will only bankrupt your country, as it is already doing. It will take a generation for America to get out of debt, if ever.



    Instead of crapping on your "irrelevant neighbor to the north" maybe you could educate yourself and realize your northern neighbor is the best friend that America ever had and will ever have. Canada could also get you off the Middle East narcotic of oil and let them kill each other in their sandbox but your government said NO to the last pipeline from Canada (likely because they are in bed with the Saudis).



    While America makes war with everyone in the quest of "serving America and freedom", Canada makes peace and has contributed to more peacekeeping operations than any other member state of the United Nations even given our relatively small size (look it up).



    While you're at it, look up the liberation of Holland and the Battle of Vimy Ridge, you might gain some insight.



    Canada is only irrelevant to the illiterates that do not know a thing about world history -- especially their very own history.
  • bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post


    Canada is only irrelevant to the illiterates that do not know a thing about world history -- especially their very own history.



    For everything I said and that you want to dispute. I never resorted to name calling, or personal attacks. That is how you have defined yourself.
  • bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post


    I'm sure the Canadians would say you're welcome for the Battle of the Atlantic, the Battle of Britain, Italy, the lowlands, Normandy, and punching WAY above its weight in industrial war production and training, and military intelligence, given that the head of military intelligence for the Allies, A.K.A. Intrepid, was a Canadian. Seriously friend, you need to study your war history.



    For us to say welcome for the Battle of Britain is an insult to Britain. Canada supplied fewer pilots than Poland and New Zealand.



    Britain put up 2500 pilots and you put up 112.



    The Battle of the North Atlantic we were clueless, but it really was the Royal Navy that put that winning gameplay together.



    And an earlier comment regarding Canada finishing with the worlds 4th largest Navy in the world, well done and very nice considering that by 1943 the U.S. had a larger Navy than all combatant Navy's combined.



    You can throw your contributions at me all day. They are appreciated and I have learned much of the Canadian role, but make no mistake, the difference truly is this, Canada did what it realistically could, but we did what Was needed on EVERY front.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I've heard of measuring dicks but this thread has evolved to measured soldiers with polished helmets... okay, so maybe that is the same thing.
  • bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I've heard of measuring dicks but this thread has evolved to measured soldiers with polished helmets... okay, so maybe that is the same thing.



    Canada did "penetrate" further on D-Day than anyone else. I guess the measurements end should end there. Theirs is bigger.
  • apfeltoshapfeltosh Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


    For everything I said and that you want to dispute. I never resorted to name calling, or personal attacks. That is how you have defined yourself.



    If you calling an entire country irrelevant is not a personal attack, you need to go back to school. You are just angered because you got served.
  • bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post


    If you calling an entire country irrelevant is not a personal attack, you need to go back to school. You are just angered because you got served.



    Dude, seriously, get a life. You over reacted originally to the following statement I made:

    "Oh quit your crying. Canada is the little brother we never had. And as such you will always be picked on by us, but deep down, we don't mean it and actually, we really like you as neighbors. But make no mistake, in a fight, we would kick your ass."



    The last sentence was clearly a joke. But since you had to get all bent out of shape, sure, I continued to poke the bear. I guess my statement must have really struck a nerve cause everyone went fact checking and looking to make points about your historical significance in relation to ours.



    Your knowledge of your history was never in debate or questioned, but your context and perspective is what is in question. The truth is, The United States has only been "relevant" for 80-90 years on a global scale. Would I get all bent out of shape if someone from England or France told me our historical significance or our nation was irrelevant? From their perspective, my Nation is "irrelevant". The last 80 years is all I've got to dispute. many families in the UK live in homes that are older than the U.S.



    "Irrelevant" is NOT a personal attack, but a statement based on context and perspective. Your GDP, according to Wikipedia, is ranked an average of 14th @ 1.3 Trillion Dollars. Not, bad for a "little guy" but seen in context and perspective, your GDP is closer to that of Greece than the U.S. In fact Apple is worth slighlty less than half of your GDP. I could argue that 4 top American corporations combined are valued more than Canada's GDP.



    In terms of Socioeconomic indicators, there are many slight edges given to Canada but the truth is, by and large the differences are statistically insignificant and therefor the life that you are living in Canada would be pretty much the same life here in the States.



    Our Economy, International partnerships, and Military have put us in a position of influence that you simply do not have. This is a position not asked to be in, but one that we try and do our best. Your statements regarding our "failures" don't upset, but they point out your own national impotence to influence our national or International agenda. And THAT is what makes you "irrelevant".
  • mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


    "Irrelevant" is NOT a personal attack, but a statement based on context and perspective. Your GDP, according to Wikipedia, is ranked an average of 14th @ 1.3 Trillion Dollars. Not, bad for a "little guy" but seen in context and perspective, your GDP is closer to that of Greece than the U.S. In fact Apple is worth slighlty less than half of your GDP. I could argue that 4 top American corporations combined are valued more than Canada's GDP.



    Canada's nominal GDP per capita is higher than the USA's, and the median household income is higher in Canada.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


    In terms of Socioeconomic indicators, there are many slight edges given to Canada but the truth is, by and large the differences are statistically insignificant and therefor the life that you are living in Canada would be pretty much the same life here in the States.



    You could say that for any Western country. But yes, both countries are similar.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post


    Our Economy, International partnerships, and Military have put us in a position of influence that you simply do not have. This is a position not asked to be in, but one that we try and do our best. Your statements regarding our "failures" don't upset, but they point out your own national impotence to influence our national or International agenda. And THAT is what makes you "irrelevant".



    Canada does more than our share and exerts quite a bit of influence for a country of 35 million people. Canada is the 35th most populated country, and I'd be willing to bet there's less than 34 countries with more influence than us.
  • bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post


    Canada's nominal GDP per capita is higher than the USA's, and the median household income is higher in Canada.







    You could say that for any Western country. But yes, both countries are similar.







    Canada does more than our share and exerts quite a bit of influence for a country of 35 million people. Canada is the 35th most populated country, and I'd be willing to bet there's less than 34 countries with more influence than us.



    But you do not exert the influence that the U.S., China, Japan, or England does. Period. OK? Can you simply accept that FACT?



    And, for all the difference that your GDP/Capita is, your real world socioeconmic indicators and real world life experiences are virtually similar. So, the point is mostly irrelevent.



    You are a wonderful nation with wonderful people, but your presence on the world stage is NOT the same as ours. It is not even close. We are extremely lucky to have you as neighbors and I wouldn't trade it for the tea in China. K?
Sign In or Register to comment.